D Logan Mailloux - Laval, AHL (2021, 31st, MTL)

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The habs had two second round picks. He would have been most likely available and they would have selected for sure.
They have the last two picks of the second round, meaning there was a chance he wasn't going to be available, hence them using their first

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
They have the last two picks of the second round, meaning there was a chance he wasn't going to be available, hence them using their first
It was confirmed other teams were going to take him in the 2nd. Habs next pick was not till 65. So yes you are correct.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He was drafted by the Habs so obviously hfboards verdict is severe.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
14BBB4DD-0DBE-40B7-BD1C-028DBF87D267.jpeg

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This is not one stupid mistake. This is a serious of choices designed to degrade women and this woman in particular. First you have to decide that you don't care about consent at all to take a picture. Then you have to hide it to take the picture without her consent. Then you have to decide later to distribute this picture. And it has to be done to many many people as it's unlikely his closest friends report him immediately. This was a designed choice to destroy this woman's life. Then he makes the choice to never apologize, never try to make up for what he did. It was only after the story came out that he made political moves to protect his future. As late team interviews he was victim blaming, he has no remorse.

I believe in second chances for everyone. However being drafted, particularly in the first round is a privilege not a right. A privilege he's clearly lost. If he showed real remorse, actually worked on himself and down the road put himself back in a position where he could join adult society it's possible he could make a career for himself in hockey. Maybe NHL, maybe not. However now the only lesson is make fake political moves and everyone forgives instantly. This is just bad for everyone. Terrible PR for NHL (particularly when you consider Blackhawks theatrics immediately following it), terrible PR for Montreal, no consequences for Mailloux, no reason to change. This is the ultimate lose-lose-lose for everyone.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd rather be sponsored by Bud Light than be the team that drafted Logan Mailloux in the first round.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So because it just came out in the last few weeks means he couldn't have done anything to change and be deserving of a second chance?

Well what had he done until then? I’m not entirely privy but I’m pretty sure the apology and whatnot came only after this was released (though if I’m wrong let me know).

Regardless his wishes were to not be drafted since he didn’t feel his character was up to snuff. It’s already a sensitive issue, and then the gm who was part of an hawks organization during a time that had serious allegations of sexual assault (in which he might’ve been privy to) is a PR nightmare.

Reactions: 1989

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It was okay "not too long ago" and therefore not a big deal?

It wasn't "okay". I don't think it was ever okay. But I think there was more tolerance for people doing a few things in their lives that aren't okay up to a degree. Even things that hurt other people. Clearly there's different levels of bad behavior that warrant different levels of responses. Mailloux's action was childish, stupid and careless. The kind of thing an a-hole does. But he's also a kid. Kids doing stupid crap around sex? Sounds like something that happens every day in every high school of every country.

I don't believe a murderer should play in the NHL, I don't think a rapist should play in the NHL, but there's a line somewhere where 'monstrous' just turns to 'dickish' and I'm not a big enough moralist to think there's no room for dicks in sports because quite frankly we wouldn't have many players left.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't know why things need to be compared to situations that are even worse but I think it's a shame a lot of people just think this stuff isn't a big deal or it's just what a lot of kids do these days.

I know its mostly guys on these boards but even if you dont have a daughter / don't want kids / aren't a girl/woman you should be able to at least have empathy and understand that once these photos/videos get online they stay there forever unless you're insanely lucky to have them not remain out there. If they remain out there it's something that can follow her for the rest of her life, be something even her kids can see if their peers find them and harass them with them. It's really a dangerous slope.

Seems like schools nowadays could really benefit for having a class that shows what kind of damage sharing and social media can cause for one's future.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Great pick by the Habs. Talent wise he should have been a 1st rounder. He would have definitely been off the board before their next pick. He’s going to be a great player for the team.

All the drama surrounding this young man will be cleared before he makes it into the league.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This is not one stupid mistake. This is a serious of choices designed to degrade women and this woman in particular. First you have to decide that you don't care about consent at all to take a picture. Then you have to hide it to take the picture without her consent. Then you have to decide later to distribute this picture. And it has to be done to many many people as it's unlikely his closest friends report him immediately. This was a designed choice to destroy this woman's life. Then he makes the choice to never apologize, never try to make up for what he did. It was only after the story came out that he made political moves to protect his future. As late team interviews he was victim blaming, he has no remorse.

I believe in second chances for everyone. However being drafted, particularly in the first round is a privilege not a right. A privilege he's clearly lost. If he showed real remorse, actually worked on himself and down the road put himself back in a position where he could join adult society it's possible he could make a career for himself in hockey. Maybe NHL, maybe not. However now the only lesson is make fake political moves and everyone forgives instantly. This is just bad for everyone. Terrible PR for NHL (particularly when you consider Blackhawks theatrics immediately following it), terrible PR for Montreal, no consequences for Mailloux, no reason to change. This is the ultimate lose-lose-lose for everyone.

Lol. Bergevin is trying to win cups not pander to the woke mob. It doesn’t matter what this kid does it will never be enough for people like you. Thankfully, people like you simply do not matter to people like MB. It’s a results based business and MB is focused on getting results. What a pick.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015

You are attributing a lot of premeditation to an act that was likely a split second dumb decision that had almost no thought go in to it. Now saying this shows a deeper lack of respect for women would be a valid point. But the action itself was most likely not done out of malice but out of disregard. The lack of respect and understanding that he was doing something extremely wrong is problematic, but that can be worked on through therapy and education. You are framing it as if he is some complete sociopath, when in all likelihood he was just a dumb cocky jock. Different interpretations here lead to a different conclusion of his moral culpability and how much he deserves a second chance

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It wasn't "okay". I don't think it was ever okay. But I think there was more tolerance for people doing a few things in their lives that aren't okay up to a degree. Even things that hurt other people. Clearly there's different levels of bad behavior that warrant different levels of responses. Mailloux's action was childish, stupid and careless. The kind of thing an a-hole does. But he's also a kid. Kids doing stupid crap around sex? Sounds like something that happens every day in every high school of every country.

I don't believe a murderer should play in the NHL, I don't think a rapist should play in the NHL, but there's a line somewhere where 'monstrous' just turns to 'dickish' and I'm not a big enough moralist to think there's no room for dicks in sports because quite frankly we wouldn't have many players left.

He's not really in danger of being banned from the NHL. But I think your point is valid, in the sense that we should look more closely at the behavior of other players, and men and boys in general. Many have gotten away with unacceptable behavior in the past and this should stop.

We need more than a conversation about Logan Mailloux. We need a conversation about hockey culture and toxic masculinity.

And it would be nice if Logan could say something in his own words (e.g., apologize to his victim).

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
If this dude did what he did in Canada he'd be facing felony charges. What he did wasn't trivial at all. He already got lucky that he was in Sweden when he did it.

Considering he was 17 at the time of the crime, I'm not really sure he would have faced something that more severe in Canada.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Well what had he done until then? I’m not entirely privy but I’m pretty sure the apology and whatnot came only after this was released (though if I’m wrong let me know).

Regardless his wishes were to not be drafted since he didn’t feel his character was up to snuff. It’s already a sensitive issue, and then the gm who was part of an hawks organization during a time that had serious allegations of sexual assault (in which he might’ve been privy to) is a PR nightmare.
According to the London GM, Hes been undergoing counselling and therapy since he came back from Sweden. As far as the apologies go, I think he tried multiple times before this all became public when he gave the media permission to report on the story and use his name since he was a minor when it happened.

I think any team that would have drafted him despite his wishes not to be would have faced a PR nightmare. Since it was reported multiple teams were looking at him, if it wouldn't have been Montreal it was going to be one of the teams that didn't put him on the DND list

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wow. I didn't have him as a first round pick even before the news broke. Bottom second

I'm not too shocked a team took him anyway, but not the best look for Bergevin/MTL to boldly step up and go out of their way to grab him

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Mike Milbury agrees with this pick.

Disgusting.

I hoep they go 0-82 next year.

Embarrassing. Even worse is trying to justfy the pick.

Just say your team made a mistake instead of defending his actions.

Losing what little respect I had for Habs fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad