CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That will absolutely suck for anyone who has to watch using this method.

There's no way an informed fan isn't going to go out looking for pirated streams.

God, I can't imagine watching a modern NHL game in 4:3. I've watched plenty of shitty junior A broadcasts with terrible quality, but even they were at least 16:9.

And I really doubt a referendum would actually pass - the Tempe one was probably the best deal you could reasonably expect to present the public, and it was easily defeated. The Coyotes brand is so toxic, they have to be thinking about a re-brand at this point.
Pretty sure they've announced the games will all be in HD. Something about the local channel upgrading their signal for the team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That will absolutely suck for anyone who has to watch using this method.

There's no way an informed fan isn't going to go out looking for pirated streams.

God, I can't imagine watching a modern NHL game in 4:3. I've watched plenty of shitty junior A broadcasts with terrible quality, but even they were at least 16:9.

Still waiting to see what Scripps Sports does to add HD for the Coyotes games over the air.

The positive note is the Scripps Sports parent company E.W Scripps owns most of the OTA HD broadcast infrastructure and bandwidth in Phoenix via their ATSC 3.0 broadcast station KASW. Scripps is supplying the OTA HD channel feeds in Phoenix for CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC and CW.

I haven‘t looked at other cities, but wouldn’t be surprised if many are similar with Scripps owning the major HD OTA broadcast systems.

If any company could easily add a new HD channel it’s Scripps. They can do it themselves with their own infrastructure—they don’t have to go begging hat in hand to find another company for a new HD channel.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Still waiting to see what Scripps Sports does to add HD for the Coyotes games over the air.

The positive note is the Scripps Sports parent company E.W Scripps owns most of the OTA HD broadcast infrastructure and bandwidth in Phoenix via their ATSC 3.0 broadcast station KASW. Scripps is supplying the OTA HD channel feeds in Phoenix for CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC and CW.

I haven‘t looked at other cities, but wouldn’t be surprised if many are similar with Scripps owning the major HD OTA broadcast systems.

If any company could easily add a new HD channel it’s Scripps. They can do it themselves with their own infrastructure—they don’t have to go begging hat in hand to find another company for a new HD channel.

Decided to do some digging on Scripps Sports since it came out in the Coyotes presser that their intention is to develop a national footprint. I found this article from last year (before they signed their first deal with the WNBA via ION Media, which Scripps had just purchased) on their website:

Gives the basics into what their intentions are and that might be a subject for another thread.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Are we talking the old fashioned rabbit ears? Is that how fans down there have to watch on TV? So no cable?

When I had a digital antenna several years ago, it was about the size and shape of a large plastic mousepad and it mounted to the back of the TV.

There's nothing wrong with someone who gets their TV that way, even in 2023. Not everyone watches TV so much they need a whole cable package. The OTA channels are enough.

Reactions: Summer Rose

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
When I had a digital antenna several years ago, it was about the size and shape of a large plastic mousepad and it mounted to the back of the TV.

There's nothing wrong with someone who gets their TV that way, even in 2023. Not everyone watches TV so much they need a whole cable package. The OTA channels are enough.
I figured most people ditching cable are streaming in some fashion. I didn't realize they needed an antenna for OTA channels.

Is IPTV a thing in the states?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I figured most people ditching cable are streaming in some fashion. I didn't realize they needed an antenna for OTA channels.

Is IPTV a thing in the states?
More power to them, but almost all the content my family sees is streamed, not broadcast.

Rabbit ears are more of an historical artifact than a current technology now.

Reaser

May 19, 2021

I have DirecTV (so majority of sports I can watch this way.)
I also have the numerous streaming services needed for sports (ESPN+, Peacock, etc.. plus sports-specific streaming services like Sunday Ticket on Youtube, FloSports, etc..)

And I still had to get a digital antenna -as stated above they aren't rabbit ears, it's a thin rectangle, like a mousepad but thinner- because it's the only way for me to get the sub-channels -- e.g. channel 4.2 which is the CW affiliate here and when college football is on CW it isn't available to stream on their site so I watch those games via channel 4.2.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In 2023, yes. Very surprised.

Over-the-air TV is so passe.

According to this study (data through July 2023).... OTA makes up 14.4% of all US households.

Phoenix Metro is 21%.

Reactions: SirJW

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
More power to them, but almost all the content my family sees is streamed, not broadcast.

Already set to watch the games... :sarcasm:

1697048323408.png

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
According to this study (data through July 2023).... OTA makes up 14.4% of all US households.

Phoenix Metro is 21%.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Without throwing this thread off much further. This is what my response would be.

There's a distinct distrust among a sizeable portion of people when it comes to data transmission. Particularly when they see how these modern platforms are not just sending you data, they're mining for yours at the same time.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Without throwing this thread off much further. This is what my response would be.

There's a distinct distrust among a sizeable portion of people when it comes to data transmission. Particularly when they see how these modern platforms are not just sending you data, they're mining for yours at the same time.

It's the megathread in the middle of a long "two weeks" stretch, which means this is basically the BoH off topic thread, lol.

I definately understand those thoughts. But I know a guy who is more data and online security minded than anyone I know, and he still bought a Google Home.

At this point, I've just given up on keeping my data away from companies. Too much work for not enough reward from an individual's standpoint.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Are we talking the old fashioned rabbit ears? Is that how fans down there have to watch on TV? So no cable?

What is the difference? They can watch on cox(cable provider in the Phoenix metro area) or OTA(antenna/rabbit ears). Biggest difference is OTA is free, compared to paying for cable.

I don't have cable or any streaming service, and I am able to watch all the sports on fox/nbc/cbs because of my antenna, for free.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Tempe paid $32K to track Coyotes opponents. Now the city is under state investigation.

To quote:

"The Arizona attorney general's office is investigating Tempe for possibly violating open meeting laws and using tens of thousands of public dollars in an effort to influence the outcome of the Arizona Coyotes election.

Both allegations have to do with Tempe hiring a political consultant to monitor and geolocate opponents of the project using social media, as described by the scope of work.

Tempe quietly hired the consulting firm, called Strategy 48, on Oct. 15, 2022, without a public vote. That was three weeks before Tempe "reserved" a spot on its special election ballot for the Coyotes' $2.1 billion proposal to build an NHL arena and entertainment district on city-owned property. Residents decisively rejected the project May 16.

"The city's intention to develop an outreach plan in coordination with the Coyotes was a brazen and illegal attempt to promote the passage of the Coyotes referendum," said Ron Tapscott, a leader in the Tempe 1st opposition campaign. "This surveillance effort raises serious issues about legality, transparency and democracy in our city. Tempe residents deserve an explanation."

State investigators are trying to determine whether the city's actions violated at least two state laws, namely:

- Arizona's Open Meeting Law. Local officials have to make most city decisions publicly. There are nine exceptions, most of which are related to legal advice or security discussions. Presentations about campaign messaging aren't typically covered by those exemptions. But Tempe never publicly discussed the contract itself or the consultant's work.

- The state statute on "electioneering." Cities and towns are explicitly barred from using public dollars in an effort to influence the outcome of elections. That can include funding opposition research on behalf of a campaign like the Coyotes' Tempe Wins political action committee, depending on when and how it happens."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2023/10/12/arizona-investigating-tempe-contract-influence-coyotes-area-vote/71144953007/

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
Tempe paid $32K to track Coyotes opponents. Now the city is under state investigation.

To quote:

"The Arizona attorney general's office is investigating Tempe for possibly violating open meeting laws and using tens of thousands of public dollars in an effort to influence the outcome of the Arizona Coyotes election.

Both allegations have to do with Tempe hiring a political consultant to monitor and geolocate opponents of the project using social media, as described by the scope of work.

Tempe quietly hired the consulting firm, called Strategy 48, on Oct. 15, 2022, without a public vote. That was three weeks before Tempe "reserved" a spot on its special election ballot for the Coyotes' $2.1 billion proposal to build an NHL arena and entertainment district on city-owned property. Residents decisively rejected the project May 16.

"The city's intention to develop an outreach plan in coordination with the Coyotes was a brazen and illegal attempt to promote the passage of the Coyotes referendum," said Ron Tapscott, a leader in the Tempe 1st opposition campaign. "This surveillance effort raises serious issues about legality, transparency and democracy in our city. Tempe residents deserve an explanation."

State investigators are trying to determine whether the city's actions violated at least two state laws, namely:

- Arizona's Open Meeting Law. Local officials have to make most city decisions publicly. There are nine exceptions, most of which are related to legal advice or security discussions. Presentations about campaign messaging aren't typically covered by those exemptions. But Tempe never publicly discussed the contract itself or the consultant's work.

- The state statute on "electioneering." Cities and towns are explicitly barred from using public dollars in an effort to influence the outcome of elections. That can include funding opposition research on behalf of a campaign like the Coyotes' Tempe Wins political action committee, depending on when and how it happens."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2023/10/12/arizona-investigating-tempe-contract-influence-coyotes-area-vote/71144953007/
Was this not, sorry as expected, lawfully, duty of both A.M, and city of T, and NHL. I have to read through it.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Was this not, sorry as expected, lawfully, duty of both A.M, and city of T, and NHL. I have to read through it.

State Law (ARS 9-500.14) generally prohibits cities from using funds to influence elections, so having a statement in the scope of work document with the city that says "This will provide the data needed to identify and micro-target messaging" is pretty fishy.

The city can argue that by "messaging" they meant "informational pamphlets on a proposed bond election as provided in section 35-454 if those informational pamphlets present factual information in a neutral manner" as the ARS allows.

Reactions: Llama19

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
State Law (ARS 9-500.14) generally prohibits cities from using funds to influence elections, so having a statement in the scope of work document with the city that says "This will provide the data needed to identify and micro-target messaging" is pretty fishy.

The city can argue that by "messaging" they meant "informational pamphlets on a proposed bond election as provided in section 35-454 if those informational pamphlets present factual information in a neutral manner" as the ARS allows.
I thank you for your information... Went through it quickly, ARS is allowed yes...
Fishy.
Opinion only,
I think A.M had dine things proper. (Ish). I think TP and AM caught.... Umm...

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

To quote:

Coyotes aren't going to be playing in Tempe, why do we continue to live in the past with these threads?

• Haha
Reactions: PredsHead and Shwan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad