CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How about we make a wager.

If Desert Diamond Arena posts another record year in revenue you leave Hfboards forever.

If they don't I'll leave, forever.

How about just take the criticism like everyone else does here without having a schoolyard level shit fit over it

You want to pump up the tires on Glendale's arena?? Then knock yourself out. I've already spent a number of years defending Glendale here. So be my guest.

I will point out Glendale made a good strategic move in giving the management company some skin in the place by letting them invest their own capital. They wanted to Coyotes to do the same but as anyone who could follow along this saga since 2009 would know that the entire business model was FUBAR the day Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes split their partnership and sliced the Coyotes off from Westgate.

It made no practical OR economical sense for Alex Meruelo to pump more money into the facility and remain a tenant. Buying the arena (as Glendale said they offered) also doesn't make economical sense without having additional revenue generators outside the arena itself.

Now that ASM Global does have some skin in it, it's going to be interesting how they manage to keep breaking those revenue records once VIA Resort comes online.... and if Alex Meruelo builds his new variation of TED in the east valley, where he will have better access to Sky Harbor and the corporate money in this area.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
This season, 81 of the 82 Coyotes games will be broadcast on Channel 15.2 (KNXV.2), the Antenna TV network, over the air (with an antenna). Antenna TV can also be found on channel 95 on COX.
:laugh:

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

:laugh:

"This season, 81 of the 82 Coyotes games will be broadcast on Channel 15.2 (KNXV.2), the Antenna TV network, over the air (with an antenna). Antenna TV can also be found on channel 95 on COX."

AND......
"Broadcasts will include pregame and postgame coverage for every game. Scripps stations also will broadcast all Coyotes games in Tucson (games will be on KGUN 9.2 – Cox channel 85 and Comcast channel 1179) and Salt Lake City (games will alternate between KUPX Utah 16 and KSTU 13.2 Antenna TV)."

While it might not have the same revenue.... the reach will be MUCH larger than it was with Bally's.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Coyotes games to be broadcasted in 480i
Edit: and 4:3 aspect :oops:

1000005168.jpg

Reactions: PredsHead

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The only thing the full interview really adds is that Gary confirms the Coyotes are losing $10,000,000+ a year at Mullet but that's a Coyotes problem because revenues for sharing are actually improved from Glendale.

That reads a lot more like he’s talking about opportunity costs rather than red ink. Not saying that the Coyotes aren’t losing money, but it’s not clear that’s what Bettman means by “tens of millions.”

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
That reads a lot more like he’s talking about opportunity costs rather than red ink. Not saying that the Coyotes aren’t losing money, but it’s not clear that’s what Bettman means by “tens of millions.”

It means the Coyotes are losing $10,000,000+ a year at Mullett because the Coyotes have already said they are losing that much money back in January.

Team’s financial losses “are in line with what they had been in the past for the team,” Gutierrez said as the Coyotes lost, 4-1, to the Pittsburgh Penguins Sunday night. He did not define an exact figure.

In the multimillion-dollar range?

“Yes,” he responded. “And I tip my hat to [owner] Alex Meruelo for sustaining that.”

More than $10 million?

“Yes, it’s substantial,” Gutierrez said. “We’re meeting our ticketing projections. We knew we’d be making more than our previous location [Glendale’s Gila River Arena]. We’re limited on premium seating. The challenge has been some of the ancillary rights, the merchandising. We’re learning how to pivot as far as finding that additional revenue.”

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It means the Coyotes are losing $10,000,000+ a year at Mullett because the Coyotes have already said they are losing that much money back in January.

You realize that doesn’t contradict what I said, right? I said I don’t doubt the team is losing money, though how much money a team is losing is pretty much always less than the public figures claim in these situations. But I was just commenting on the Bettman-speak, which is always purposefully vague. You can interpret it the way you want. I’ll just maintain the argument that it’s a little more open than that.

In other words, there could simultaneously be $10m in financial losses and $10m in opportunity cost at the same time. If you parse it out, if Meruelo really is losing $10m owning the team and he believes it could be profitable in Arizona, that means there’s quite a lot more opportunity cost being lost than real dollars until they have an arena. And of course, when you combine the two… 10s of millions easily.

The important thing is to not take these statements at face value.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwan

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You realize that doesn’t contradict what I said, right? I said I don’t doubt the team is losing money, though how much money a team is losing is pretty much always less than the public figures claim in these situations. But I was just commenting on the Bettman-speak, which is always purposefully vague. You can interpret it the way you want. I’ll just maintain the argument that it’s a little more open than that.

In other words, there could simultaneously be $10m in financial losses and $10m in opportunity cost at the same time. If you parse it out, if Meruelo really is losing $10m owning the team and he believes it could be profitable in Arizona, that means there’s quite a lot more opportunity cost being lost than real dollars until they have an arena. And of course, when you combine the two… 10s of millions easily.

The important thing is to not take these statements at face value.

Can be even more prone to misunderstanding when the talking heads rarely clarify whether the profit gains/losses they quote are:

a) Including revenue sharing—or not—in the (nominally) operating profit number.
b) Using EBITDA or not for the final gain/loss total.

• Haha
Reactions: Tawnos and Shwan

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Re: Antennas..... Following the Suns model.
(Craig Morgan:) To clarify, if you are accustomed to simply streaming on your TV, you can still buy a plug-in antenna, switch outputs and you’re good to go, right?

Gutierrez: Absolutely, and it’s very cheap. That’s going to be part of our marketing program that we’re going to be getting out there and giving folks free antennas. That was really important to Alex. That idea really came from Alex saying, ‘Hey, listen, let’s make sure that we focus on people knowing where the channel is. Number two, if we have to give away free antennas, this is important for Coyotes fans so we’re going to do it.”

Games and added content are going to be produced in HD. Channel 15.2 is, of course, not HD at this time, but word is Scripps will be installing hardware to transmit an HD signal.

Scripps also negotiating with both DirectTV and DishTV. Both had dropped Fox Sports Arizona prior to Diamond acquiring the Fox RSNs.

The DTC app and services are in the works, but as Gutierrez explains in the article, there are multiple levels with multiple pricing points.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Scripps also negotiating with both DirectTV and DishTV. Both had dropped Fox Sports Arizona prior to Diamond acquiring the Fox RSNs.

I know disingenuously trying to turn everything into a positive for the Yotes is your goal. So implying that it was impossible to watch the Coyotes previously ('wasn't available anywhere! Not even on DirecTV!') to make it seem now like the day has been saved is the type of agenda driven blatant misinformation the BoH forum sadly is becoming more and more known for.

But, as you keep repeating that Fox Sports Arizona/Bally Sports Arizona wasn't, isn't, and hasn't been on DirecTV that in fact happens to not be the case, at all. DirecTV has long had Fox/Bally Sports Arizona and shown the Coyotes games. The channel is still on DirecTV currently and has been.

Source: Have DirecTV. Lived in AZ. Before/after AZ live(d) in WA and FOX/Bally Sports Arizona is the channel next to Root Sports NW so I see it on the guide near daily for well over a decade.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I know disingenuously trying to turn everything into a positive for the Yotes is your goal. So implying that it was impossible to watch the Coyotes previously ('wasn't available anywhere! Not even on DirecTV!') to make it seem now like the day has been saved is the type of agenda driven blatant misinformation the BoH forum sadly is becoming more and more known for.

But, as you keep repeating that Fox Sports Arizona/Bally Sports Arizona wasn't, isn't, and hasn't been on DirecTV that in fact happens to not be the case, at all. DirecTV has long had Fox/Bally Sports Arizona and shown the Coyotes games. The channel is still on DirecTV currently and has been.

Source: Have DirecTV. Lived in AZ. Before/after AZ live(d) in WA and FOX/Bally Sports Arizona is the channel next to Root Sports NW so I see it on the guide near daily for well over a decade.

Not attempting to turn everything into positives. Just replying to the board what is there.

You have someone bring up the free antenna as if it was a fantasy and I put a quote up from the CEO of the team that says they are going to do it.

It’s up to the reader to decide what they want to believe and I honestly could care less which way they want to interpret it.

If they’re still on Direct then great and you have my thanks for pointing that out.

I knew for fact they weren’t on Dish because my work uses it and know it was dropped from there.

But that article clearly states Scripps is negotiating with both companies. So right now you have to presume Scripps doesn’t have a deal in place with Direct to carry the games.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Scripps not being on DirecTV and saying Fox/Bally Sports Arizona isn't and hasn't been on DirecTV are two different things.

Fine… you corrected an assumption I’d made and I acknowledged it.

Does AntennaTV currently exist on Direct?? Since I’m going to presume for the moment that it doesn’t since it’s the channel Scripps will primarily by using for carrying the games (given it exists on Cox and they’ve already announced that).

Reactions: Summer Rose

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Does AntennaTV currently exist on Direct?? Since I’m going to presume for the moment that it doesn’t since it’s the channel Scripps will primarily by using for carrying the games (given it exists on Cox and they’ve already announced that).

Here's a recent example in Seattle area.

The local CW affiliate was Channel 11, so it was available on DirecTV.

Roughly a month ago Ch. 11 went independent and channel 4.2 became the new CW affiliate. CW was no longer on DirecTV in the Seattle market as DirecTV doesn't have the X.2, .3, .4, .5, etc..

Have to use antenna in the TV (if it picks it up, mine gets a lot but not 4.2) or use a digital antenna (I had bought one a few years ago and hooked that up and it picked up 4.2 so I could watch the college football game that was on CW.)

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Here's a recent example in Seattle area.

The local CW affiliate was Channel 11, so it was available on DirecTV.

Roughly a month ago Ch. 11 went independent and channel 4.2 became the new CW affiliate. CW was no longer on DirecTV in the Seattle market as DirecTV doesn't have the X.2, .3, .4, .5, etc..

Have to use antenna in the TV (if it picks it up, mine gets a lot but not 4.2) or use a digital antenna (I had bought one a few years ago and hooked that up and it picked up 4.2 so I could watch the college football game that was on CW.)
That currently seem to be the big question here. AntennaTV has a decent reach OTA, but it’s not HD at the moment and from what I’m hearing it’s not very reachable in the northern part of the state (Flagstaff, Payson, Sedona, etc).

Hopefully Scripps gets it worked out. I know a number of fans up in those areas and they’re not happy atm.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Coyotes games to be broadcasted in 480i
Edit: and 4:3 aspect :oops:

View attachment 749252
That will absolutely suck for anyone who has to watch using this method.

There's no way an informed fan isn't going to go out looking for pirated streams.

God, I can't imagine watching a modern NHL game in 4:3. I've watched plenty of shitty junior A broadcasts with terrible quality, but even they were at least 16:9.

And I really doubt a referendum would actually pass - the Tempe one was probably the best deal you could reasonably expect to present the public, and it was easily defeated. The Coyotes brand is so toxic, they have to be thinking about a re-brand at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad