Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes, and you repeatedly have proved it. Does it help your quest for validation if I say you were right about Tavares?

OK, you were right.

But not about playoff non performer Mitchy.
when was i looking for validation ? i just pointed out i was right after you kept making snide comments

also no need to try to shift the goalposts and bring Marner's playoffs into this conversation especially since i never said he was a good playoff performer

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
when was i looking for validation ? i just pointed out i was right after you kept making snide comments

also no need to try to shift the goalposts and bring Marner's playoffs into this conversation especially since i never said he was a good playoff performer
I sense I butthurt you by stating the truth. I apoligize.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Still on the fence about this.

Extremely terrified not running it back with a coach that has the courage to send Thornton and Simmonds out over Hyman and Nylander on PP1 in the playoffs. That kind of ice in the veins is needed around here.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
One day after reports surfaced of Lane Lambert potentially joining the Toronto Maple Leafs coaching staff comes word that the former New York Islanders head coach could be joining Toronto as an associate coach, and not an assistant.

On Tuesday's 'The Jeff Marek Show' episode, Marek and Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman discussed the Maple Leafs' coaching staff that newly-installed boss Craig Berube will lead. And they revealed that Lambert's role won't necessarily be that of an assistant coach.

"I've heard it's not an assistant but an associate coach," Marek said as he introduced Friedman onto the show.

"I would believe that," Friedman affirmed.

Lambert

Reports: Lane Lambert 'Could Be Joining' Craig Berube's Coaching Staff as Maple Leafs Bench Takes Shape​

Read More
An associate coach in the NHL is typically seen around the NHL as a level higher than an assistant and right behind the head coach. It usually comes with some of a head coach's responsibilities as well.

Lambert has served as an associate coach before, working under Barry Trotz with the New York Islanders in that capacity until he was promoted to head coach later in his tenure.

Lambert was dismissed as head coach of the Islanders in January and replaced by four-time Stanley Cup winner Patrick Roy.

"I think with Lambert, it's just a matter of them (the Leafs) making the announcement," Friedman said.

As for the rest of the coaching staff, there are still some things to figure out. Manny Malhotra departed Toronto to become the new coach of the Abbotsford Canucks of the AHL, but it appears Chynoweth may also be on the outs.

USATSI_19203051

"I believe Dean Chynoweth, who is a very good coach, is not going to be back," Friedman said. "I'm not sure what the story is with (Guy) Boucher yet," Friedman said. "I do expect (Mike) Van Ryn will be back."

Reactions: Lauro

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Lambert was a terrible head coach, but obviously a successful assistant under Trotz. Problem is, every assistant coach was successful under Trotz wherever he coached.

Reactions: Dog

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lambert was a terrible head coach, but obviously a successful assistant under Trotz. Problem is, every assistant coach was successful under Trotz wherever he coached.

From what I have heard Berube is really good at getting the most out of guys but sucks at the tactical stuff. So if Lambert sucks at getting the most out of his roster but knows his hockey shit then it could make sense to bring in a guy who can help the head coach adjust his system as needed.

Reactions: Burnie97

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So is having an associate coach is like when a movie is being directed by 2 guys or something? Maybe one day Lambert is talking to the media, then next day it's Berube?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lambert was horrendous as the isles head coach and we couldn’t wait to replace him. That being said, no player has ever said a bad word about him from his days coaching in the AHL all the way through with Trotz as an assistant. Players love and respect him. When he was the isles assistant he was in charge of defense and helped with both special teams. Some guys aren’t made to be head coaches but Lambert definitely has a great reputation league wide as a very good assistant.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Lambert was horrendous as the isles head coach and we couldn’t wait to replace him. That being said, no player has ever said a bad word about him from his days coaching in the AHL all the way through with Trotz as an assistant. Players love and respect him. When he was the isles assistant he was in charge of defense and helped with both special teams. Some guys aren’t made to be head coaches but Lambert definitely has a great reputation league wide as a very good assistant.
Always appreciate your posts on the main boards.

Todd Rierden comes to mind as another guy who just wasn't HC material.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad