Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There’s not much there either. This team as currently constructed has won 1 playoff round in 8 years. Who cares if we “win” a Marner trade, something needs to give and it’s one of the big ticket guys. Marner is the logical choice based on his inability to adapt to playoff hockey. The other two have the ability to change based on size and strength, whether they do is another story
Winning the trade would be nice but getting fair value would be good enough and we should all care what the return is since this team isn't deep enough just to jettison Mitch and then hope overpaying in the ufa market will make us a better team .

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The apathy will be at a high. Look at what is happening with the Jays and Raps. Leafs fans are tired of watching the same rerun for 8 years. They cannot run it back and they know it (God I hope so).
It's easy to say this in the summer, but we all know the reality is that if they all come back and this team is beating Anaheim 9-2 in October or November the vast majority of fans, including most on this forum, will be loving every second of it. There won't be apathy for a winning team. There is apathy for the Jays and Raptors because they are losing.

The bigger question for me is whether upper management is willing to endure the risk of a Marner trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

“If it was a country club before, I would say the country club is probably over…”Mike Commodore shares his thoughts on the Leafs hiring Craig Berube.

I will believe that when I see it as well.
The Leafs have a way of turning you to country club instead. The core will corrupt you as well.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

“If it was a country club before, I would say the country club is probably over…”Mike Commodore shares his thoughts on the Leafs hiring Craig Berube.

This is exactly why I think without moving core pieces thus will turn into a shit show, Berube isn’t going to walk back any statements because the player’s feelings got hurt, mgmt better be onboard with the new coaches way of running his team……

Reactions: ToneDog

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Some people really need to chill and respect the fact that even though this organization hasn’t achieved what we’ve wanted in the past number of years, those that are running things are pros and are in a much better position to determine the direction forward than any of us behind our computer screens.

Vent all you want, take a hiatus, whatever, but coaching can have a tremendous impact on performance.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I think it's interesting that everyone glosses over the second Tampa series in these discussions. Does anyone think it's an accident that the Leafs' star players, to a man, all had excellent offensive numbers in that series, and generally only that series? Keefe's coaching didn't change in that series. The difference was that the Leafs had time and space, and Tampa's penalty killing and goaltending were mostly atrocious. When time and space is taken away from these guys, they struggle to produce offense. Maybe there is a coaching system that can change that outcome, but ultimately it's on these players to perform when performing isn't as easy.
So.. I was at game 4 during the 4-1 come back, and it was terrible up until the third period. It was so bad that my kid changed his sign during the second intermission…

Three broken plays that led to the three goals.. (deflections, hit a skate, mishandled the puck) it was fluke. It was awesome, but it was a fluke.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You said marner won't have a problem converting to Berube's style of play.
Why would Keefe have to walk back his comments when he made them public about the 1st. line if the 1st. line didn't have an issue?
I didn't say Marner would have no problem converting to Berube's style of play, I said I don't think it'll be as impossible as some posters act. There's a magin between "won't struggle" and "have no problem", after all.

Reactions: ULF_55

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
There’s not much there either. This team as currently constructed has won 1 playoff round in 8 years. Who cares if we “win” a Marner trade, something needs to give and it’s one of the big ticket guys. Marner is the logical choice based on his inability to adapt to playoff hockey. The other two have the ability to change based on size and strength, whether they do is another story
The Leafs have followed this logic in the past ("it's okay to partially lose a trade as long as it moves a 'bad apple'"). Some of the trades on the "worst trades of all time" list were the result of this line of thinking.

Reactions: Roo

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Some people really need to chill and respect the fact that even though this organization hasn’t achieved what we’ve wanted in the past number of years, those that are running things are pros and are in a much better position to determine the direction forward than any of us behind our computer screens.

Vent all you want, take a hiatus, whatever, but coaching can have a tremendous impact on performance.
funny-as-hell.gif

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
Glad we made the coaching change but I still don't think it will be enough to break the drought
I have always been an eternal Leafs optimist (every year - sigh) but now I am realizing that a coaching change can't simply alleviate the weight of expectations that comes with being a TML and a 55+ year championship drought. Perhaps we will have to go as long as the Boston Red Sox before we get the right team with the right mindset. Perhaps longer. Perhaps at some point, it becomes such a joke that the players don't even care anymore and have no heavy expectations placed on them. Perhaps the Toronto/Canada sports media presence will have faded in their over-the-top Leafs coverage and, in turn, that lifts this burden from a Marner or a Tavares. Personally I am fine with that since I am a '67 baby and I have vowed that I will see the Leafs hoist the Cup in my lifetime so that should set me up to live into my 80s. But I don't think I can make it to 100.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Berube is not Jesus, he is not suddenly going to make everyone including the Big Guns be more physically engage, start doing all the hard and uneventful stuff and JT stop learning lessons.

To me the core is rotten and they just have the paper mentality of we did our best…instead of doing something about it.
This UFA class actually got a few players who are just Alpha, not afraid of pressure and feisty. They might be older but those are guys the Leafs need to reset the locker room culture before the next wave start to pick up wrong habits from the forever student and the boy who claims he is GOD.

Reactions: bluewhiteblue

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeo has been an abysmal HC but probably fine as AC.

Basically turning the coaching staff into ex-Blues staff. It doesn't mean bad necessarily but just not a lot of creativity I guess.
To be expected I would imagine. People tend to bring in who they are comfortable with.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeo has been an abysmal HC but probably fine as AC.

Basically turning the coaching staff into ex-Blues staff. It doesn't mean bad necessarily but just not a lot of creativity I guess.

To be expected I would imagine. People tend to bring in who they are comfortable with.
Yeo was originally hired on July 1st, 2022 when he joined Bruce Boudreau’s staff for the 2022-23 campaign. He helped run Vancouver’s penalty kill throughout his time with the organization, even during the coaching change that saw Rick Tocchet take over midway through last season.
During Yeo’s time working with the PK unit, the Canucks finished dead last in the league during the 2022-23 season at 71.6%, while it improved to 17th overall this campaign at 79.1% for an average of 75.4%. Despite some hiccups along the way, the PK did improve as the season went along, which proved to be a key factor in getting past the Predators in round one and pushing round two against the Oilers to the limit.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
damn right their scared shitless but not because Marner is popular and sells merch , if they trade him and it blows up in their face the whole lot of them will be looking for new jobs

if you take a good look at our team , their isn't much there past M and M and Willie
I heard we are not here to sell merch/jerseys. Straight from the boss man's mouth.

• Haha
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Glad we made the coaching change but I still don't think it will be enough to break the drought
I have always been an eternal Leafs optimist (every year - sigh) but now I am realizing that a coaching change can't simply alleviate the weight of expectations that comes with being a TML and a 55+ year championship drought. Perhaps we will have to go as long as the Boston Red Sox before we get the right team with the right mindset. Perhaps longer. Perhaps at some point, it becomes such a joke that the players don't even care anymore and have no heavy expectations placed on them. Perhaps the Toronto/Canada sports media presence will have faded in their over-the-top Leafs coverage and, in turn, that lifts this burden from a Marner or a Tavares. Personally I am fine with that since I am a '67 baby and I have vowed that I will see the Leafs hoist the Cup in my lifetime so that should set me up to live into my 80s. But I don't think I can make it to 100.

You think expectations are why they fail? Seriously?

Berube is not Jesus, he is not suddenly going to make everyone including the Big Guns be more physically engage, start doing all the hard and uneventful stuff and JT stop learning lessons.

To me the core is rotten and they just have the paper mentality of we did our best…instead of doing something about it.
This UFA class actually got a few players who are just Alpha, not afraid of pressure and feisty. They might be older but those are guys the Leafs need to reset the locker room culture before the next wave start to pick up wrong habits from the forever student and the boy who claims he is GOD.

He never claimed he was god. He was trying to say the players are worshiped, he just did it in a really awkward way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad