Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Probably three realistic options:

Atlanta - NHL ready rink (Phillips arena) as a temporary solution while they try to hammer out their plans to build a new arena specifically for hockey. Would be way, way more ideal than playing a dingy college rink.

- Quebec - State of the art NHL arena ready to go, just proved they can move tickets given they sold out an 18k seat barn for junior hockey. Quebecer would probably be very willing to talk turkey

Houston - NHL ready barn, huge market that has at least some history with hockey. Unclear if they have a buyer

Most of this also depends on what the Yotes ownership wants to do. Sell or just move?

I also refuse to believe Bettman is going to just let this happen.
I think you can forget the ATL arena - they removed all the ice capacity/ability to fit in a hockey rink apparently.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You people act like the yotes didn't think this could happen and don't have other plans...

This is already what, their third or fourth plan? They're running out of options in Phoenix, if they haven't already.

Reactions: BLNY

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The funny thing is, that deal was actually not too bad for the city on paper.

Turn a festering waste dump into an actual lively part of town with the team funding everything but the cleanup cost? (which you would have to do regardless of what eventually goes up there) Nope lol.

The league/Yotes f***ed this too. No side spent the yes side into submission and for whatever reason they just let it happen.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Good riddance, shoulda ripped off the band aid and moved them to Seattle or Vegas 5 years ago. Now where do they possibly go, KC or Houston>

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The only 3 options for relocation that have had indicated interest in NHL recently + NHL ready arena would be

Houston
Salt Lake City
Quebec City

Houston is ideal and SLC in longterm is growing market

QC has failed twice already and according to logic from our neighbors to north that means you cant try a 3rd time or is that only Atlanta that logic is applied to?

Houston Aeros set to finally join NHL 44 years after rejection?

Terrible night for Yote fans but NHL/Yoters ownership have limited options at this point if any going forward now

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
While this is true, it's a lot of stuff to take care of, in 2011 the Thrashers officially moved on May 31st.
The Jets had an arena, offices, hockey ops/ticketing staff, and practice rink in place which is why they were able to do it in such a short time period. The only thing they needed to do was expand their press box.

The Jets had been running their AHL team like an NHL organization for several years because they were the league's go to emergency backup for the Coyotes at the time.

Mark Chipman has talked about sitting in Gary's office in New York ready to sign a purchase agreement if one of those famous Glendale council votes failed.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It’s time to move em. This team has been given more opportunities to succeed than any other franchise in the history of sports. It’s been a long grueling haul with so much to sift through but we don’t deserve another chance. We haven’t deserved half the chances we’ve been given.

Been fun, but tired of the embarrassment year in and year out. So long yotes.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I can't believe all the good move them, lol finally comments. Do you know Coyotes fans are reading this? And they're losing their team. Have a friggin heart. This is awful.
Most share the same sentiment fortunately. It’s time.

Boner Champ

Feb 22, 2014
To everyone saying "can't believe there's no plan B", relocation IS plan B. You can't have a viable alternative and still expect to maintain the fear you're trying to drive into voters to ensure plan A succeeds.

They just... failed.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Jets had an arena, offices, hockey ops/ticketing staff, and practice rink in place which is why they were able to do it in such a short time period. The only thing they needed to do was expand their press box.
Wouldn't be hard to get that thrown together given a couple arenas have been built with the idea of drawing the NHL in/back.

Practice rink might be a stickler but i'm sure you could use a building for that.

Edit: We also don't know what's going on behind the scenes for contingency plans and whatnot. Good chance they already have this all lined up since by the sounds of it the Yotes knew this was coming.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I can't believe all the good move them, lol finally comments. Do you know Coyotes fans are reading this? And they're losing their team. Have a friggin heart. This is awful.
I just had my team eliminated from the playoffs and it hurts, I couldn't imagine someone taking away my team forever. Truly devastating for Coyotes fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad