Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I feel when people say "they prepared for the possibility of this" they don't realize is this team is playing in a college stadium with no plans of moving to a bigger stadium.

The whole college stadium was temporary, and even then, the NHL was pushing it with they're going to play here for the next 4 years until Tempe gets a stadium.

Today, Tempe voted no to any stadium.

It's not as if Arizona is playing in an NHL stadium right now. The NHL can't keep them at a college stadium with no end in sight, there may even be limits on how long the college is willing to host them - and then what? They get kicked out of a college stadium and are playing where?

Right now the Coyotes are playing indefinitely in a college rink with no plans of relocating and no stadium to relocate to. That's why time was of the essence. The temporary ASU proposal now has no deadline.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I mean don't count them out, they've been this dead before, but for the sake of discussion I'd guess the NHL looks at Houston as the ideal option.

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
If you’re cheering that a fanbase may be losing their team, you’re an asshole.

Most people are laughing at Bettman once again looking like an incompetent fool. This was inevitable. The most likely of outcomes. And yet they appear baffled, bamboozled, that this could possibly happen.

Time to move on. From Arizona and Bettman’s naive incompetence.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Wouldn't be hard to get that thrown together given a couple arenas have been built with the idea of drawing the NHL in/back.

Practice rink might be a stickler but i'm sure you could use a building for that.
Building an entire business/ticketing/marketing operation from scratch isn't easy or quick. Most of the non hockey ops staff of the Coyotes wouldn't be relocating with the team, they don't get paid enough to uproot their entire lives to move across the country.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Most people are laughing at Bettman once again looking like an incompetent fool. This was inevitable. The most likely of outcomes. And yet they appear baffled, bamboozled, that this could possibly happen.

Time to move on. From Arizona and Bettman’s naive incompetence.
I don’t give a f*** what the excuse is, and most aren’t educated on what happened with the arena and why they’re in the college to begin with. So forgive me if I don’t just say oh it’s ok then.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Building an entire business/ticketing/marketing operation from scratch isn't easy or quick. Most of the non hockey ops staff of the Coyotes wouldn't be relocating with the team, they don't get paid enough to uproot their entire lives to move across the country.

To be fair, Arizona doesn't have that in place.

I assure you they can play in a bigger stadium than they're currently playing in. Even if the building isn't fully ready - it will be better than a college stadium with temporary dressing rooms.

It's one thing to relocate a fully functional NHL team and want everything in order. Arizona is not that, they're playing in a college building with no approved future arena. At best, this vote delays another year before they move out of the college stadium.

Will another city be quicker than 5 more years at ASU? Of course.

IF the NHL truly wants the Arizona market - the best option is to relocate them and make them build a stadium and promise them expansion. You can't have a team there with no stadium in sight while the team plays at a local college and expect sponsors to take your league seriously when you're asking for billions in ad revenue.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What's the viability of them going elsewhere in the state? Footprint Center an option with Robert Sarver gone? ik it would essentially be a repeat of the Islanders playing at the barclays center but i mean...Bettman has fought harder before.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It feels like the owner pulled a Jeffrey Loria. Feel bad for yotes fans. I know the feeling as the Expos had much of the same criticism. I'm guessing Houston gets a team this summer.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Gary Bettman's incompetence is unrivaled. Keeping a major league team in an extremely unprofitable town that doesn't want them for decades as your personal vanity project is loathsome enough... But letting them play in a college arena for any period of time, let alone indefinitely, is downright disrespectful to our sport.

I'm old enough to remember when he rejected the Isles moving back to the renovated Mausoleum because it "wasn't a major-league facility," in his words. But the Coyotes can play in a 5,000 seat arena until the day he drops.

Gary's an embarrassment to our sport in all the worst ways.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I feel when people say "they prepared for the possibility of this" they don't realize is this team is playing in a college stadium with no plans of moving to a bigger stadium.

The whole college stadium was temporary, and even then, the NHL was pushing it with they're going to play here for the next 4 years until Tempe gets a stadium.

Today, Tempe voted no to any stadium.

It's not as if Arizona is playing in an NHL stadium right now. The NHL can't keep them at a college stadium with no end in sight, there may even be limits on how long the college is willing to host them - and then what? They get kicked out of a college stadium and are playing where?

Right now the Coyotes are playing indefinitely in a college rink with no plans of relocating and no stadium to relocate to. That's why time was of the essence. The temporary ASU proposal now has no deadline.
Yeah yeah, don't worry about it. All part of the plan.

Ad

Ad

Ad