Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
The NHL's statement is the closest I've seen Bettman to giving up. I'm thinking one more year at the college arena, move to Houston 2024. Probably too late to do it by the fall.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The NHL's statement is the closest I've seen Bettman to giving up. I'm thinking one more year at the college arena, move to Houston 2024. Probably too late to do it by the fall.
I doubt it's too late. The Thrashers moved pretty quickly to Winnipeg in 2011. The team was purchased in May and relocation approved by June.

Reactions: Galactico

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Salt Lake City may be destination IMO now that I think more about it

Remember this a few weeks ago from the Jazz owner

One would think NHL had to have some planning in place in event this vote failed

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
He can look all he wants, but if there's no building that can host them in the state long term then the dream is dead.

By the sounds of it, everyone is already fed up with Mullet Arena to the point i'm not sure even a second season there is viable.

They're not dead and buried quite yet but the hole for the coffin is dug and people wanting to pay their respects are starting to gather.

You maybe right but when it comes to the Coyotes, it always seems that Bettman, has an Ace up his sleeve.

Reactions: Team Bring It

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I doubt it's too late. The Thrashers moved pretty quickly to Winnipeg in 2011. The team was purchased in May and relocation approved by June.
The Jets already had a functioning hockey ops, marketing and business team in place. They had an almost brand new NHL caliber practice facility and an arena. TNSE had spent at least 2 years as the NHL emergency backup plan for the Coyotes at that point and had been running their AHL team essentially as an NHL team during that time.

There is no location who fits that criteria currently.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sorry that Coyotes fans have to go through this. Stuff like this always sucks.

Seems as if Ownership could have handled the campaign a bit better

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You maybe right but when it comes to the Coyotes, it always seems that Bettman, has an Ace up his sleeve.
Eventually you run out of aces.

Mullet Arena isn't viable long term as he clings to hope for some magic deal to come from the sky. Players hate it and there's now speculation the PA is starting to push back on Bettman regarding that.

Footprint center had all of it's ice making capabilities removed recently after the arena got upgraded/renovated. That won't work

The Arizona Veteran's Coliseum was a shithole back in the day and hasn't gotten any better. Also only holds 14k which makes it the smallest rink in the league if they even considered it.

Literally the only option for a rink is go crawling back to Glendale which i can't imagine the team nor Bettman would be willing given the constant slapfights with that city over the years. That or the Salt River Reservation plan isn't just a bunch of hot air and they have something there. Given the league and team's statements tonight, that doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: viper0220

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Jets already had a functioning hockey ops, marketing and business team in place. They had an almost brand new NHL caliber practice facility and an arena. TNSE had spent at least 2 years as the NHL emergency backup plan for the Coyotes at that point and had been running their AHL team essentially as an NHL team during that time.

There is no location who fits that criteria currently.
It's true the Jets were well prepared but if the Arizona Coyotes played a season in a 5k capacity, college arena, I honestly think they can make it many other places too. The bar is low AF right now

also, I'm sure the NHL has some kind of backup situation tucked away that the general public doesn't know of

Reactions: John Mandalorian

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If you’re cheering that a fanbase may be losing their team, you’re an asshole.
I don’t understand why people hate Arizona so much and now gloat about them potentially losing their team.

It’s really not like this has ever effected them. Canadians seem to think that Arizona is the reason Quebec doesn’t have a team. The Nordiques haven’t been a team since 1995. The NHL had expanded several times since then without giving them a team back.

It’s not happening.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Houston or Atlanta is my guess. I'd imagine Houston is most likely given it's closer proximity but idk

Gotta feel for Yotes fans though. That's just brutal.
Atlanta failed like twice , enough. Houston first if not then Quebec.

Arizona been a complete failure for Bettman.

When you can't even fill an arena of 5000 persons , this is just laughable. Why even bother making a new arena.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There's no doubt that if the team has to go (and now it does) Gary wants to move them to Houston. Long term, league revenue depends on new fans, and that's where the biggest chunk of not-currently-hockey-fans live.

They've got a stadium.

They'd comfortably play in the Western Conference.

They do not have an owner. So I imagine that's what Gary is doing right now - talking to prospective owners. The Sens (partly because of the real estate involved) have billion or near-billion dollar bids from ownership groups from all over the continent, and I wonder if Gary is possibly trying to steer some of them towards interest in a team in Houston instead. Imagine a Snoop Dogg led team in Houston!

Gary doesn't want a team in Quebec City but I'm not sure that we can completely rule it out if they can't get an ownership bid in Houston.
Issue is rockets owner controls the arena. If someone else owns team could be problem.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
I notice none of the official statements say anything about respecting the wishes of the voting public and appreciating ALL participants in this democratic process. Just a bunch of soulless, ghoulish lawyer speak, probably trying to leave a long shot open to try and overturn the results in some kind of legal challenge. The team is not wanted, the team is not viable. We've known this for decades now. It's time for the NHL to stop embarrassing itself by trying to make this project work.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
So, Coyotes ownership didn't even bother to try? Spent just enough to posture that they care? Sure seems like they were like "well, we can go either way on this thing..."

Reactions: HofT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad