Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
IF the NHL truly wants the Arizona market - the best option is to relocate them and make them build a stadium and promise them expansion. You can't have a team there with no stadium in sight while the team plays at a local college and expect sponsors to take your league seriously when you're asking for billions in ad revenue.
What about the $650 million for an expansion team?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

IMG_6365.png

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
delete

SLCs CMA is 2.7 million, 24th is US and one of the fastest growing. Right behind St. Louis. Ahead of Pittsburgh (27), Columbus (28), Kansas City (29), Vegas (32), Raleigh (35), Nashville (36), Milwaukee (37), Buffalo (53).
I see the metro population listed at 1.2 million everywhere. I think you’re looking at the CSA or combined statistical area but that’s combining over 10 counties in northern Utah some hours away from downtown Salt Lake City. Not really a true perspective.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean I guess I was childish to expect the league would manage to relocate them between now and puck drop in October, but that's just a sad situation. I would imagine we'll know something by then, about a potential new location. Who's going to those games besides away fans? What a mockery.

Reactions: hacksaw7

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Mullet Arena again....which would of happened with the Tempe project going forward. Only issue now is will fans still want to spend money on season tickets etc if the team is in limbo? I don't foresee a huge Fanbase push to "save the Yotes" like in other cities....but hope some solution can come. But if I'm the current owner I'm looking for ways to get this hassle off my hands and make bank while doing it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see the metro population listed at 1.2 million everywhere. I think you’re looking at the CSA or combined statistical area but that’s combining over 10 counties in northern Utah some hours away from downtown Salt Lake City. Not really a true perspective.
Clarified post. The concentration is along the corridor from SLC south to Provo which is in the CMA but not Metro. But it’s a direct drive that is probably faster than getting across town in many NHL cities. It’s 45 minutes from Provo to Vivint Arena.

So there is a true perspective there that involves looking past one “population” metric. The huge outlying areas don’t contribute a lot of that 2.7 million.

Other reasons to knock SLC down perhaps (older arena and shared tenant during the entire season with the Jazz) but I don’t think you can look at population and population growth and use that as the negative anymore. It’s also the 29th ranked US media market. The region is comparable and probably healthier than several already existing or wanna be NHL markets.

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Have you listened to any NHL owner? Search up Rocky Wirtz, owner of the Blackhawks, talking about Kyle Beach. If Jim was a major chode, he'd be prime NHL ownership material!
He went about it the wrong way and thought he could just shove his way in, other owners have to approve ownership, he wasn't getting that with his tactics. As was said, he tried to move Pittsburgh and Nashville.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don’t see Bettman giving Canada another team
What's this "giving" you are talking about? If I had $10 billion I could put the NHL out of business in 5 years. It's a shit league. There'd be 8 teams in Canada and 16 teams in the USA. Future expansion would be outside of NA.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Can't they just play in Mullet arena for next year. Meanwhile, NHL tries to figure things out so they can get a new arena?
I know they had a contract with Mullet for the next handful of years because it would take a bunch of years to actually build the arena. I assume even if it was rejected they still get to play there until it's over. But knowing Bettman and the league, they will try and figure something else out. Feels like it would be better to just relocate as you know a bunch of billionaire owners in cities will be lining up to dish out some serious money. Sounds a hell of a lot more enticing then trying to scrape together some last ditch effort to get a new arena that would be years away all while losing a stupid amount of money. It would be quicker to relocate then figuring out and building a new arena moving forward. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad