Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Well, if arson numbers are for some inexplicable reason your standard then the prospective Portland franchise would be on par with the Wild, the Penguins, the Blue Jackets. Nothing that the league needs to be concerned about.

Any time someone takes a particular interest in decrying a city like Portland it's usually...a thing within a thing, I guess.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is just sad. Instead of begging the state and city for money the owner should pony it up if they are serious in keeping the team there.

They are not, there lies the problem.

If they were serious about keeping the team there, they would not be playing at the local college rink with any attempt to build an arena for them voted down.

The only person serious about keeping them there seems to be Gary Bettman.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
But the NHL will probably make concessions to a Houston project. They will blow off prospective locations that want to fit the bill and court locations that aren't willing to go all-in, if its a city that they decided they want. I could totally see this happening in Houston.

Also. Why is Hamilton such a no-go zone because the Leafs wont allow it. But Dallas will supposedly be totally fine with Houston ? Another glaring contradiction that shows the bias for US teams. The NHL decides on cities it wants and then makes up reasons why other cities wont work.

Oh of course we cant have Hamilton. Dilution bruh. But Houston wants a team? Coming right up..
Before you get on your high horse and start bitching about some mythical “bias for US teams”, you might want to compare the distance and drive time between Hamilton and Toronto with that between Houston and Dallas.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They are not, there lies the problem.

If they were serious about keeping the team there, they would not be playing at the local college rink with any attempt to build an arena for them voted down.

The only person serious about keeping them there seems to be Gary Bettman.
I wish I understood his thinking. I wish he'd put this much effort into Quebec City years ago.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He's doing his best to remove all doubt, that's for sure.

I honestly thought there would be more to it than that and I still knew it would be idiotic. His response was just...made it seem like it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. A couple of bad trades is basically the sum of it. As if that should kill your franchise. I mean, Daniel Briere and Kyle Turris? Really? :laugh:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I honestly thought there would be more to it than that and I still knew it would be idiotic. His response was just...made it seem like it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. A couple of bad trades is basically the sum of it. As if that should kill your franchise. I mean, Daniel Briere and Kyle Turris? Really? :laugh:
Now he's moved on to slag Glendale for not living up to their end. I mean that's certainly one way to look at this. I guess the arena they built, the $50M they shelled out in 2010 & 2011 to keep the team in place & then the $15M annual subsidy that they gave out to the Ice Clowns wasn't enough. The fact the Ice Clowns violated the terms & gave the city to cancel the lease I guess is his Waterloo.

Not to mention the fact the city was willing to work with them on a long term lease when Meruelo bought the team or sell them the building outright at a loss. But yeah sure, Glendale didn't hold up their end.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Imagine blaming the Daniel Briere trade and headcoaching experience on why the Arizona Coyotes are on their way out.

Breathtakingly stupid.
Yeah, the Coyotes redefined breathtakingly stupid in that era on an almost daily basis.. There were more boneheaded trades but that was the one that was the worst.

Reactions: hacksaw7

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Come on now, everyone knows that Wayne Gretzky's involvement with the Coyotes, which ended.....*checks notes*.......fourteen years ago, is clearly the reason why things are the way they are now, and why the team plays at a diminutive college arena.

He single-handedly torpedoed the whole franchise! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Before you get on your high horse and start bitching about some mythical “bias for US teams”, you might want to compare the distance and drive time between Hamilton and Toronto with that between Houston and Dallas.
The more density you have, the less of a problem distance is. Toronto/Hamilton is a 7.5 million person population which would make it the 4th biggest in North America if you exclude Mexico city.

And I am not saying there is a bias. It is just a business decision. And I think its the wrong one.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Come on now, everyone knows that Wayne Gretzky's involvement with the Coyotes, which ended.....*checks notes*.......fourteen years ago, is clearly the reason why things are the way they are now, and why the team plays at a diminutive college arena.

He single-handedly torpedoed the whole franchise! :sarcasm:
Gretzky just wanted to relive the 80s when he was essentially a minority owner of the Jets franchise by constantly bitchsmacking them in the playoffs.

Now 14 years after he set out on his mission, the Yotes are destroyed. Dead, void of life, left this mortal coil.

Wake up sheeple, the signs were there all along. He even orchestrated the Briere trade from the shadows to ensure his goal would be compete.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Now he's moved on to slag Glendale for not living up to their end. I mean that's certainly one way to look at this. I guess the arena they built, the $50M they shelled out in 2010 & 2011 to keep the team in place & then the $15M annual subsidy that they gave out to the Ice Clowns wasn't enough. The fact the Ice Clowns violated the terms & gave the city to cancel the lease I guess is his Waterloo.

Not to mention the fact the city was willing to work with them on a long term lease when Meruelo bought the team or sell them the building outright at a loss. But yeah sure, Glendale didn't hold up their end.
The difference between you and me was that I was there for most of it and spoke to lots of the people behind the scenes and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Glendale promised a GIGANTIC Westgate that was to stretch way north of Westgate and south of the Cardinals stadium. This was to be a massive complex with housing, shopping, and other things to do. Then 9/11 happened and all construction was stopped. Over time, Glendale's promised plans for Westgate got smaller and smaller until they just gave up. The current Glendale government doesn't have a clue on what the original vision was instead they just stopped putting money into Westgate and eventually it will become a Ghost town.

I'd post links for this but you're too stubborn to read them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The difference between you and me was that I was there for most of it and spoke to lots of the people behind the scenes and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Glendale promised a GIGANTIC Westgate that was to stretch way north of Westgate and south of the Coyotes stadium. This was to be a massive complex with housing, shopping, and other things to do. Then 9/11 happened and all construction was stopped. Over time, Glendale's promised plans for Westgate got smaller and smaller until they just gave up. The current Glendale government doesn't have a clue on what the original vision was instead they just stopped putting money into Westgate and eventually it will become a Ghost town.
Sure you were.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There is no 5k arena in Atlanta? Asking sincerely, I don't know the city. Happy for Yotes fans, mind you.
There's no hockey capable arena in the city period from what I understand. Phillips Arena had their ice making/maintaining stuff taken out years ago.

Hence why that group is trying to build a new one just outside the city.

Not in Atlanta, but Gas South Arena is like 20 miles away (in Duluth I think?) and hosts an ECHL team with a 13k capacity.

But 2011 Gary Bettman thought that 15.3k seats at MTS was laughably low for an NHL building.

2022 Gary Bettman in 2011 would've been like "Let's welcome your Georgia Thrashers to Duluth!"

Reactions: RogerRoger

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Glendale promised a GIGANTIC Westgate that was to stretch way north of Westgate and south of the Cardinals stadium. This was to be a massive complex with housing, shopping, and other things to do. Then 9/11 happened and all construction was stopped. Over time, Glendale's promised plans for Westgate got smaller and smaller until they just gave up. The current Glendale government doesn't have a clue on what the original vision was instead they just stopped putting money into Westgate and eventually it will become a Ghost town.

I'd post links for this but you're too stubborn to read them.

Oh come on, dude, now it's 9/11's fault?

• Haha
Reactions: um

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad