Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Quebec city still has issues as far as accepting a team, namely they need an owner who can withstand the likely losses as they will not have significant arena revenues.

I've always wondered on Cleveland. Hockey is more known there than southern climates, its the 17th largest metro area in the US, and has an NHL ready arena. But it is never mentioned always wondered why.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Have you listened to any NHL owner? Search up Rocky Wirtz, owner of the Blackhawks, talking about Kyle Beach. If Jim was a major chode, he'd be prime NHL ownership material!
He was a major chode to the other major chodes. That's the difference. The NHL doesn't really care if you strangle puppies for fun as long as you have a shitload of money and you schmooze with them the right way.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
KC is the soft landing spot in the U.S. if arena and ownership are an issue in Houston. The arena is ready to go. It was designed to lure an NHL team.

I’m not delusional, I don’t think KC is the biggest upside choice or the spiritual home of hockey choice. But for an owner, it could be a pretty straightforward move from an infrastructure standpoint.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
For Gary Bettaman one audience member in USA is worth more than 10k Canadians

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
He was a major chode to the other major chodes. That's the difference. The NHL doesn't really care if you strangle puppies for fun as long as you have a shitload of money and you schmooze with them the right way.
This somewhat undermines your previous point. So I'm still soured on the Coyotes and the league as a whole. At least Jim the chode wanted to move the team to Canada, which now clearly looks like it would have been the right move for the team and a good move for Canada. Basically he wasn't nice enough to the other rich people so they didn't want to play and share their toys with him? Yeah, I'm going to stick with feeling disdain for the league and their pet franchise, the Coyotes.

Reactions: hacksaw7

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
But no one needs news when you can watch a live stream of a city literally being burned and destroyed, not to mention videos (no commentary) of strung out drug addicts all over. Then you can look at the leniency of the district attorneys in places.

Except that the city didn't get burned and destroyed. Yes, there were sustained riots and stuff within a radius of several blocks got burned and destroyed. But that is just what happens in a riot, and riots have happened (and will happen again) at one time or another in just about every major city in the United States.

I have no idea where the Yotes are headed, but if they don't end up in Portland it's not going be because of crime. Statistically, Portland isn't even in the top 50 most dangerous cities by violent crime rate. #1 is Memphis by a pretty wide margin, and #2 is Detroit...which has teams in all 4 major North American sports leagues.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Have you listened to any NHL owner? Search up Rocky Wirtz, owner of the Blackhawks, talking about Kyle Beach. If Jim was a major chode, he'd be prime NHL ownership material!

There is a difference between having to put up with a current owner and green lighting a new one. The NHL will try and stay away from controversial owners if possible. Very hard to get rid of ones currently owning teams though.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
This somewhat undermines your previous point. So I'm still soured on the Coyotes and the league as a whole. At least Jim the chode wanted to move the team to Canada, which now clearly looks like it would have been the right move for the team and a good move for Canada. Basically he wasn't nice enough to the other rich people so they didn't want to play and share their toys with him? Yeah, I'm going to stick with feeling disdain for the league and their pet franchise, the Coyotes.
You know what, that's 100% valid. I get that.

Reactions: Xanlet

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Big city does not necessarily mean success.

Never quite understood when people say that Arizona is the 5th market when there are only 7 million inhabitants.

Houston has the most arguments. But Utah or Portland would be nice to me.

To the east, obviously Quebec, which is setting fire with a QMJHL team. Possibility of making a Canada division (by managing the calendar, jet lag problems can be compensated easily) or Chicago returns to the west.
Salt Lake City won’t work. 1.2 million people isn’t good enough in the USA. That’s smaller than every market besides Winnipeg. The smallest American markets are in the 2 million range.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Give the Kraken 20 years of bad ownership, bad team management, and poor on-ice performance and their attendance would probably look like Arizona’s.

It took Seattle less than three seasons to put together a strong playoff run - not as far as Arizona got, that one time, but still a pretty commendable result.

If they can build on that, in front of a packed house every game, I think it'd go a long way towards cementing the Kraken as a mainstay in the northwest hockey market.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

This almost sounds like they weren't prepared for this to fail.

Because they have to have had a plan B in place if this didn't work, right? Of course they did, so in this context the part about discussing "options" sounds more like they don't want to slap Coyotes fans in the face twice in the same day.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The reality of what's in front of ones eyes have no political slant or narrative. It's all factual events happening and the normal citizens in those communities, as well as victims of crime, deserve more.

But I'm sure the mom and pop shop that had their store burned down and lost everything think it's some political narrative. Or if you just look at the statistics for crime, Portland is not one of the safest cities. Facts be damned!

So you live in Seattle, so you're skewed. Your city has plenty of similar issues, including attempting to have some autonomous zone that was just anarchy and predictably failed.

You should read your first paragraph again, you say Houston then mention Texas. One is a city, one is a state, so your remark is flawed. Not to mention statistically firearm mortality in Texas vs Oregon isn't that much different.

Or take a glance at property crimes and look what two cities make up the top 3 in three different property crime categories? Seattle and Portland.

Statistics have no bias, but your state and the guy above you are very wrong.

But no one needs news when you can watch a live stream of a city literally being burned and destroyed, not to mention videos (no commentary) of strung out drug addicts all over. Then you can look at the leniency of the district attorneys in places.
Cool story bro

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I mean if you can't build up a fanbase in 20 years of being in a city, that just says you shouldn't be in that city.

Look at how a city like Seattle embraced the Kraken even before the Kraken were good.
Agreed, but comparing an expansion team, brand new with zero baggage to one relocated at the last possible minute isn't exactly fair.

The list of screw ups that have gone on since they showed up in the desert has been the subjects of 120-odd threads on the business of hockey board. With that said, I think this has finally put to rest the entire argument that all the team needed was a central location in the Valley. They couldn't even garner enough support to get this sweetheart deal passed that was free of public finance.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
What a crock of shit. Go to bed.

@Boris Zubov There are hot takes & then there is this. Yikes.

Let's see here. During Gretzky's time as Coyotes Director of Hockey Operations...Let me repeat that DIRECTOR OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS:

- Decided he would become coach without any coaching experience. Patrick Roy paid his coaching dues as a Junior Coach before becoming the Avs coach.
- Hired friends to the front office whose only contribution to the team was golfing during practice times
- Traded away Daniel Briere for magic beans and a cow Arizona Coyotes Throwback: Daniel Briere
- Bungled the development of prospects, most notably Kyle Turris, again and again.
- Players that played under him had no idea what he was trying to do on a nightly basis.

Ergo he trashed the franchise with major damage that the team is still recovering from.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Salt Lake City won’t work. 1.2 million people isn’t good enough in the USA. That’s smaller than every market besides Winnipeg. The smallest American markets are in the 2 million range.
SLCs CMA is 2.7 million, 24th is US and one of the fastest growing. Right behind St. Louis. Ahead of Pittsburgh (27), Columbus (28), Kansas City (29), Vegas (32), Raleigh (35), Nashville (36), Milwaukee (37), Buffalo (53).

Bigger catchment area to attain that population but pretty sure they’d be a regional draw. Zero doubt in my mind a ton of people in Provo (part of the CMA) would make the 45 minute drive north for games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad