Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I wish things would have worked out for their fans. Losing a sports team is the worst and I don’t wish that on anyone. But it appears to be time.

Quebec would be the coolest option. I think Houston is the safest option though

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Did the Suns and Coyotes ever share an arena?

Couple NHL teams already in that situation (LA, Dallas, Toronto, Boston, etc.), and it seems mutually beneficial.
Yes, from 1996 to 2003. Same arena the Suns currently play in....which was never intended to host an NHL team. It's similar to Barclay's Center with the asymmetrical dimensions & obstructed sight-lines on one side of the building.

Regardless, there are bigger issues sharing the building wouldn't work unless the Suns owner buys the team. NHL franchises, especially the Yotes, can't survive without all the ancillary arena revenue.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, from 1996 to 2003. Same arena the Suns currently play in....which was never intended to host an NHL team. It's similar to Barclay's Center with the asymmetrical dimensions & obstructed sight-lines on one side of the building.

Regardless, there are bigger issues sharing the building wouldn't work unless the Suns owner buys the team. NHL franchises, especially the Yotes, can't survive without all the ancillary arena revenue.

Can you give me an idea of why some basketball arenas aren’t suitable for hockey?

Why would they make sight lines that aren’t good for hockey? I guess the court is smaller… but why would they build something you can’t see the middle of?

TBF Saskatchewan was called the Roughriders and Ottawa was called the Rough Riders, haha.

All I know is wherever the yotes move they better be named the rough riders

Reactions: Saskatoon

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
good riddance. the team should have been relocated years ago
Yeah, who gives a shit that Matthews and Knies are from there and may not be playing for the Leafs had the Coyotes not existed. Good riddance.

Laugh away, but takes like this are the biggest joke.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
The Yotes local TV ratings would argue that this was also a market problem. The existing Yotes fans are extremely loyal...problem is, there aren't nearly enough of them.

However, there's many factors that went into this & it's not just hockey that struggles in the Valley. The D-backs don't draw well & neither do the Cardinals....unless they're in the playoffs. Phoenix just isn't a great sports town...way too many outdoor activities in the region. No reason to waste time indoors to watch an NHL team that hasn't competed in over a decade.

The Irony is now after the Coyotes left, Glendale finally got their act together and pulled some great real estate deals for the area south of Westgate.

Having a $1B resort complete with a Mattel/Barbi theme park and 1,400 apartment units directly on the other side of the football stadium would have done a lot for attendence as long as they iced a competitive team.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know there is a small fanbase of passionate fans but the city literally voted they don't want the Yotes there so I don't see how you can think there is potential for the market.

Reactions: Kimota and stealth1

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Can you give me an idea of why some basketball arenas aren’t suitable for hockey?

Why would they make sight lines that aren’t good for hockey? I guess the court is smaller… but why would they build something you can’t see the middle of?
I just gave two examples. In the Suns case, the owner of the team at the time, Jerry Colangelo specifically inquired to the NHL about future plans & if they had any future intentions of bringing a team to the Phoenix Valley. This was back in 1990-1991 & the league responded that they had zero interest in the market. Colangelo then built the America West Arena with a floor plan that couldn't accommodate hockey.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, who gives a shit that Matthews and Knies are from there and may not be playing for the Leafs had the Coyotes not existed. Good riddance.

What the hell? The franchise shouldn't exist forever because a couple players are from there. That's insane.

With that said, I'm sorry for the fans. But it is time.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I just gave two examples. In the Suns case, the owner of the team at the time, Jerry Colangelo specifically inquired to the NHL about future plans & if they had any future intentions of bringing a team to the Phoenix Valley. This was back in 1990-1991 & the league responded that they had zero interest in the market. Colangelo then built the America West Arena with a floor plan that couldn't accommodate hockey.

Sorry I mean….. what makes it not good for hockey? How can a stadium have poor sight lines. For hockey.

The upper seats don’t change. It just doesn’t make sense.

??? 2 hockey players from phoenix does not at all justify lost revenue….

As a leafs fan I would easily give up Matthews and knies for the league not to have a crazy laughing stock and lose millions

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
What the hell? The franchise shouldn't exist forever because a couple players are from there. That's insane.

With that said, I'm sorry for the fans. But it is time.
Do you actually know the reasons why they’ve had some of the troubles they’ve had? Issues between ownership and the city they played in? How does their existence actually affect you, or anyone else.

And what the bell what? Not just any player, one of the best scorers (regular season atm anyway) in the league is from there and he likely may not be playing if not for the Coyotes.

Point is, all this glee and carrying on is terribly short sighted and uneducated. I’d venture to guess that 80-90% of people cheerful don’t really know why they’re cheerful, just f*** the desert team. But Vegas is ok, they’re not really a desert.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Nah pretending like everything was fine in Arizona and would work out is the biggest joke.

Ever since they got that new owner, everything was a straight tire fire.

The amount of mental gymnastics some people did to defend the dude was hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad