Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
This is completely absurd and nothing but delusional cope. I don't have anything against the Coyotes and their existence doesn't bother me, but this is a hockey forum and this is a franchise that's been in the dumps forever, to the point where they're now playing in a college rink with no arena in sight.

Pretending that one great player coming from there is of any relevance is just stupid.
Lmao, who’s coping? This affects me as much as it does you, and thanks for answering, you really don’t know why they’re currently in a college arena. Didn’t think so.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
But it’s a reason for people to cheer its demise? You went through and laughed at posts where u called such people assholes. It’s very short sighted.
Cheering, no.

But the Coyotes have been a drain on HRR for a long time and with the current arena situation at the university are a hilariously awful embarrassment for the league.

Sometimesnyou just need to admit defeat and move on.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lmao, who’s coping? This affects me as much as it does you, and thanks for answering, you really don’t know why they’re currently in a college arena. Didn’t think so.

Please tell me how you could gather from my post what I do or do not know about the Coyotes situation, considering that I haven't even put forward a reason one way or another.

Can you not read?

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
If this arena proposal fails, they should move the Coyotes to Toronto. Hogtown hasn’t had a hockey team since 1967

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This was a picture From Barclays which is a basketball arena, that tried to cater to hockey, Just as one example.

Brooklyns_Barclays_Center_might_have-133c5566347e6918c537c67b21a36366
Oh good lord that’s horrible.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
They proposed fixes to make it more suitable to hockey and everything was shot down. They never wanted the Islanders there from the start. That place was about as big of a disaster as the John Spano circus. The only thing good about Barclays was that the train was a block away.
I was so happy for you guys when Belmont got done, That and the Islanders where the first team I ever played as in NHL 01

Reactions: miscs75

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Guys, the Nordiques aren’t coming back. Too much money in too many other markets for Bettman to even consider Quebec. I’d love to see a Battle of Quebec in my lifetime but that ship sailed IMO
I'm fairly certain they are, they built a state of the art arena and approached the league the right way about it. Just don't know when it will be.

Reactions: RogerRoger

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Long Islanders rejected a new Islanders arena, but the Islanders stayed.

Doesn't mean it's over for the Coyotes in Arizona...especially with Bettman at the helm

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If the Yotes do end up relocating, it should be to somewhere in either the central or mountain time zones (Houston? Austin? Kansas City? Milwaukee? OKC? SLC?) in order to maintain the current division alignment.
Can't force them on a market for the sake of alignment. For arguments sake, if Quebec City was the ONLY location, put them and leave them in the Central and they have to travel a little more for a few years. Winnipeg stayed in Southeast. I would say this regardless of their new location. Honolulu? Central. Prince Edward Island? Central. Dublin? Tokyo? Central.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I was so happy for you guys when Belmont got done, That and the Islanders where the first team I ever played as in NHL 01
I miss the Coliseum honestly. Belmont has a mess of a parking situation but it makes Barclay’s look like a local youth arena. I’m just happy that they didn’t get stuck in the wasteland of Barclays. 3 blocks of hipsters surrounded by the hood.
On a somewhat related note, go to a game in Belmont if you get a chance. It’s actually an amazing arena.

Reactions: hangman005

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
What’s the chance of someone like Snoop orchestrating an old school “Under the moonlight through dubious means” lightning quick relocation for ‘23/‘24? Lol

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Cheering, no.

But the Coyotes have been a drain on HRR for a long time and with the current arena situation at the university are a hilariously awful embarrassment for the league.

Sometimesnyou just need to admit defeat and move on.
I think the biggest mistake was moving the jets there, Phoenix was not really prepared for a hockey team and the saga that has gone on is evidence of that. That's not to say the NHL doesn't work or won't work. I personally still the Coyotes could still work, but as some point you have to get some sort of traction.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’m guessing Houston, Quebec, or Portland in that order but now that I’ve said that Bettman will push for Atlanta and the 3rd time will definitely not be a charm.
It's probably Houston, Salt Lake City/Kansas City in that order. The league doesn't want to mess up with the conferences and divisions now, that would have so much resistance from the other organizations. AFAIK all of the teams above have potential owners/buildings (not sure about KC but someone can correct me there).

Quebec and Atlanta will get a shot if the league expands or an Eastern Conference team is in trouble. Neither seems to be in the horizon any time soon.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What’s the chance of someone like Snoop orchestrating an old school “Under the moonlight through dubious means” lightning quick relocation for ‘23/‘24? Lol
You’ve got a better chance of a Canadian team winning a cup this year.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Sorry coyote fans. Would be awful to lose your team like this. Unfortunately something needed to give withe this arena and it just didn’t give

Reactions: Dirty Dog

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well it's still before the end of May now, team could be moved in the next couple of weeks, the NHL have already had meetings with other cities, as I said before they have their bases covered in the event something like this happens, if people are buying that the NHL doesn't know what to do now then they don't know what's up.
With the rumored price of the Sens I wonder if ownership just takes the money and runs or if they will be the ones doing the relocating.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Jfc these voters literally picked a toxic dump over the Yotes. Hope those people enjoy their landfill and polluted ground water.
From what I've been seeing alot of the "No" voters did so because it was sold them by the "No" Camp as a bailout for billionaires so in true NHL fashion they failed at marketing it for what it actually was. The NHL and bad marketing.... is there a more perfect match.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think the biggest mistake was moving the jets there, Phoenix was not really prepared for a hockey team and the saga that has gone on is evidence of that. That's not to say the NHL doesn't work or won't work. I personally still the Coyotes could still work, but as some point you have to get some sort of traction.
Having a good/great owner is important and none have ever wanted the Yotes. That sucks.

Reactions: hangman005

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not gonna happen there. Either try again in Atlanta or go to Cleveland.

Another Canadian team wouldn't hurt either.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I thought this was a click bait thread--but I have spent the morning looking into it and while there are some big hurdles to jump through--I think in 12 to 24 months they NHL will be looking at another Atlanta thrashers situation where they are told the team needs to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad