Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Sorry I mean….. what makes it not good for hockey? How can a stadium have poor sight lines. For hockey.

The upper seats don’t change. It just doesn’t make sense.

??? 2 hockey players from phoenix does not at all justify lost revenue….

As a leafs fan I would easily give up Matthews and knies for the league not to have a crazy laughing stock and lose millions
Lmao, them losing millions affects you how?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sad thing is this is going to be IMO like the Nordiques to Colorado in success. Not first year but is there a better team setup for the future than the Coyotes with ownership willing to spend? Most cap space in the league, top prospect pool in the league with several very good players already on the roster. And look at the number of top 90 picks the next few seasons.

Very similar to the Kraken where it might take a few years but they are going to suddenly come out of no where. They might become my bandwagon team to be honest.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's good for the league for this team to finally die. So yes, I am celebrating
Good how? The city and ownership were embroiled in bullshit for good lengths of time, those things can get figured out.

You hon a start cheering if people don’t start showing back up to Winnipeg and they have to move…again?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lmao, them losing millions affects you how?

It affects the league. It’s a hard cap HRR revenue league.
The coyotes are a major reason the cap isn’t jumping this year.

Fans of teams that care and pay are stuck in this flat cap

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Sorry I mean….. what makes it not good for hockey? How can a stadium have poor sight lines. For hockey.

I'm super excited to show you this!

pg 10 11 Coyotes crowd shot.jpg

So the people up top couldn't see the play in front of the goalie and the people down below all probably have terrible tinnitus by now.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Forget about it , it will never happend . I dont think the NHL likes PKP and one thing is for sure, PKP is lacking long run vision about this project therefore dont want to pay what he should to get a franchise.
And, I won't expand too much on that, PKP's views (just look at the tangent his newspapers are taking) do not sit well with very powerful people who have a direct line to Bettman and co.

Quebec City is not happening with PKP at the helm... and it is not happening without as his company controls the arena. Unless the City is ready to compensate him for the arena deal... and then another buyer emerges....

Plus, the guy just bought the sinking ship that is the Montreal Alouettes.

Reactions: Frenchy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
They have tried and tried and tried...

Sometimes things just don't work out. Time to pull the plug.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Good how? The city and ownership were embroiled in bullshit for good lengths of time, those things can get figured out.

You hon a start cheering if people don’t start showing back up to Winnipeg and they have to move…again?

It's been over 15 years of bullshit. You have to stop excusing the bullshit at some point

The Coyotes struggling is a major reason the cap has hardly moved in years. That is bad for the league

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah, but they knew this before the end of May as far as I know.
Well it's still before the end of May now, team could be moved in the next couple of weeks, the NHL have already had meetings with other cities, as I said before they have their bases covered in the event something like this happens, if people are buying that the NHL doesn't know what to do now then they don't know what's up.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Take a look at these two photos. Barclays in Brooklyn was built similarly to the Suns arena....assymmetrical where one side has a loge level that overhangs the ice in a hockey set up. They were built without considering a hockey team as a full time tenant.

America West in Phoenix...

pg 10 11 Coyotes crowd shot.jpg

Barclays in Brooklyn...

barclays-1-2368633803.jpeg

In both cases there are thousands of seats with obstructed views of the ice. Not a problem for basketball, however.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The only 3 options for relocation that have had indicated interest in NHL recently + NHL ready arena would be

Houston
Salt Lake City
Quebec City

Houston is ideal and SLC in longterm is growing market

QC has failed twice already and according to logic from our neighbors to north that means you cant try a 3rd time or is that only Atlanta that logic is applied to?

Houston Aeros set to finally join NHL 44 years after rejection?

Terrible night for Yote fans but NHL/Yoters ownership have limited options at this point if any going forward now

Quebecs first team folded almost. hundred years ago. Thats a little different than Atlanta.

Last edited:

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

Supposedly the Coyotes were outspent eight to one in marketing for this referendum. You can't win a war you're not willing to fight. Maybe they thought they would walk to the polls. Terribly disappointing for Coyotes fans. Wonder how Bettman's going to keep them in Arizona now.

Just the 100th excuse they are giving in this sorry saga.

People there WANT to keep the team, it's the team's fault they didn't spend enough.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.

This was a picture From Barclays which is a basketball arena, that tried to cater to hockey, Just as one example.

Brooklyns_Barclays_Center_might_have-133c5566347e6918c537c67b21a36366

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Do you actually know the reasons why they’ve had some of the troubles they’ve had? Issues between ownership and the city they played in? How does their existence actually affect you, or anyone else.

And what the bell what? Not just any player, one of the best scorers (regular season atm anyway) in the league is from there and he likely may not be playing if not for the Coyotes.

Point is, all this glee and carrying on is terribly short sighted and uneducated. I’d venture to guess that 80-90% of people cheerful don’t really know why they’re cheerful, just f*** the desert team. But Vegas is ok, they’re not really a desert.

This is completely absurd and nothing but delusional cope. I don't have anything against the Coyotes and their existence doesn't bother me, but this is a hockey forum and this is a franchise that's been in the dumps forever, to the point where they're now playing in a college rink with no arena in sight.

Pretending that one great player coming from there is of any relevance is just stupid.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's been over 15 years of bullshit. You have to stop excusing the bullshit at some point

The Coyotes struggling is a major reason the cap has hardly moved in years. That is bad for the league
It affects the league. It’s a hard cap HRR revenue league.
The coyotes are a major reason the cap isn’t jumping this year.

Fans of teams that care and pay are stuck in this flat cap
It’s a hard cap because of Covid, I haven’t seen anything directly tying the continued hard cap to Arizona.
Frankly, the cap isn’t going to go up now if they play in Houston, Quebec, etc next year anyway. And the cap will still go up next year.

Still, if Winnipeg doesn’t start to get fans back, you gonna pull for them to move?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This was a picture From Barclays which is a basketball arena, that tried to cater to hockey, Just as one example.

Brooklyns_Barclays_Center_might_have-133c5566347e6918c537c67b21a36366
They proposed fixes to make it more suitable to hockey and everything was shot down. They never wanted the Islanders there from the start. That place was about as big of a disaster as the John Spano circus. The only thing good about Barclays was that the train was a block away.

Reactions: hangman005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad