Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Suspect the NHL already has a backup plan for relocation like they did with Winnipeg when Atlanta failed. It’s probably been done quietly and with specific triggers that need to occur before anyone can speak publicly about it.

It’s a shame for AZ fans that stuck with the team. As dysfunctional as Phoenix-metro politics are—this wasn’t a market problem, this was a long-term ownership problem.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
I'm still not entirely convinced this doesn't end with Bettman exercising every last available option to keep the team in AZ, since he's done it for this long already.

I was watching a YouTube blogger that listed what options there were in case of a no vote.
They were :

Salt River
Talking Stick Resort
Phoenix Suns Arena
2 more years at Mullet
Mesa
Or relocation

So there still seem to be some options.

I truly hope they figure something out.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Aeros? No. Houston Oilers should live again.

If you think it doesn't work because of Edmonton, ask a Canadian about the Roughriders. 😉
While this is true, the original Aeros jerseys were great.

houston_aeros-three_howes.jpg

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Supposedly the Coyotes were outspent eight to one in marketing for this referendum. You can't win a war you're not willing to fight. Maybe they thought they would walk to the polls. Terribly disappointing for Coyotes fans. Wonder how Bettman's going to keep them in Arizona now.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Feel bad for the Arizona core fans but this team needs to move in order to find stability. Vivek Ranadive investigated purchasing the Sens so I would expect the NHL to court him or Ryan Smith from the Utah Jazz.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Ask the Senators.

I'm willing to bet when they started up their fanbase was made up of transplanted (or local) Leafs and Habs fans, but in the end it took.

Same could happen in Hamilton.

That said, I think it's far more likely Houston comes out on top here, or Kansas City.

Hamilton loves to hate Toronto even more than Ottawa does as well. The fanbase for a team that will never exist is already here. That said, Hamilton won't even have an arena for 2-3 years so hopefully that tamps down any pipe dreams that pop up from this situation.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
As I understand it the NHL wanted a team in Arizona as it had to do with having a national television deal and to get that you need a team in particular markets, and Arizona checked off a bo

It's too bad for the fans, but the Yotes have to stop being homeless and stop being in a 5000 person arena.

As to where they go would be nice to have another team in Canada, I don't see how Hamilton and Quebec City trump US markets. And those cities will be challenged as heck to attract players. Like was said , they will be at the top of NTC lists.

So much for that TV deal... getting preempted by an early season baseball game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hamilton loves to hate Toronto even more than Ottawa does as well. The fanbase for a team that will never exist is already here. That said, Hamilton won't even have an arena for 2-3 years so hopefully that tamps down any pipe dreams that pop up from this situation.

Does Hamilton still have our lacrosse team? :laugh:

Not sure why or how the Rock moved down there - and kept the name - but that's always been amusing to me.

I've come down seen the Bulldogs a few times, and I wouldn't mind taking in a Ti-Cats game this season. Good sports city.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Does Hamilton still have our lacrosse team? :laugh:

Not sure why or how the Rock moved down there - and kept the name - but that's always been amusing to me.

I've come down seen the Bulldogs a few times, and I wouldn't mind taking in a Ti-Cats game this season. Good sports city.

The Rock played in Hamilton this year but I'm not sure what their plans are going forward. I thought keeping the Toronto name seemed odd as well but now with Copps Coliseum being shut down for major renovations over the next couple years it appears to have been the correct call.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Suspect the NHL already has a backup plan for relocation like they did with Winnipeg when Atlanta failed. It’s probably been done quietly and with specific triggers that need to occur before anyone can speak publicly about it.

It’s a shame for AZ fans that stuck with the team. As dysfunctional as Phoenix-metro politics are—this wasn’t a market problem, this was a long-term ownership problem.
The Yotes local TV ratings would argue that this was also a market problem. The existing Yotes fans are extremely loyal...problem is, there aren't nearly enough of them.

However, there's many factors that went into this & it's not just hockey that struggles in the Valley. The D-backs don't draw well & neither do the Cardinals....unless they're in the playoffs. Phoenix just isn't a great sports town...way too many outdoor activities in the region. No reason to waste time indoors to watch an NHL team that hasn't competed in over a decade.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

Jesus Christ, man. Hate to see anyone losing their team like this.

Over the years the NHL has done everything it can to keep the team in Arizona, so it's shocking to see they didn't throw in a few million to try to win this.

Of course the Coyotes should have paid for that themselves, but I'm still surprised the NHL is potentially allowing a franchise to fail over a few million bucks.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Supposedly the Coyotes were outspent eight to one in marketing for this referendum. You can't win a war you're not willing to fight. Maybe they thought they would walk to the polls. Terribly disappointing for Coyotes fans. Wonder how Bettman's going to keep them in Arizona now.

I saw Seravalli reported that and attributed it to an "NHL source" but literally every local reporter in Arizona is saying the Coyotes outspent the opposition dramatically. So I'm a bit confused about where all this opposition money supposedly came from and went, and why the only person aware of it was someone with the league that Frank spoke to.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
don't worry, as sure as Bettman needs his betting, he needs his southern useless teams.

Arizona is safe as long as we have Bettman.

(btw, kids, you still love Bettman?)

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm still not entirely convinced this doesn't end with Bettman exercising every last available option to keep the team in AZ, since he's done it for this long already.
I feel like almost every available option has been exercised?

Reactions: Voight

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Yotes local TV ratings would argue that this was also a market problem. The existing Yotes fans are extremely loyal...problem is, there aren't nearly enough of them.

However, there's many factors that went into this & it's not just hockey that struggles in the Valley. The D-backs don't draw well & neither do the Cardinals....unless they're in the playoffs. Phoenix just isn't a great sports town...way too many outdoor activities in the region. No reason to waste time indoors to watch an NHL team that hasn't competed in over a decade.

Did the Suns and Coyotes ever share an arena?

Couple NHL teams already in that situation (LA, Dallas, Toronto, Boston, etc.), and it seems mutually beneficial.

You’re right. Next step is playing the games virtually on NHL 24.

1684325855758.png

So THAT'S why they tested that out, on a random Sunday!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad