Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
and the Yes group failed miserably to correct that notion in eyes of voters.
Because the cheap owner decided to spend the minimum amount of money to do that.
Tbh we should have a franchise in Hamilton
How many years would it take for a Hamilton team to create a lasting fanbase and not just Leafs fans who can't afford Leafs tickets? Two generations? Three?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because the cheap owner decided to spend the minimum amount of money to do that.

How many years would it take for a Hamilton team to create a lasting fanbase and not just Leafs fans who can't afford Leafs tickets? Two generations? Three?

There would be plenty that would switch immediately.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.

Which is on Par for the NHL we all know they suck at marketing so it makes a ton of sense that marketing lost this vote lol

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The problem with Bettman and the NHL is that the only thing they look for in a market is the population size not the number of hockey fans. Just move the Coyotes to Mexico City if it's population and ''potential'' growth that everyone are blinded by.
Do you honestly think Kansas City and Salt Lake City have more hockey fans than Houston, which has a successful history of supporting multiple hockey teams over the years?

Reactions: RogerRoger

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Coyotes has been in constant crisis for twenty years. Time to move on. Houston Aeros, with the Gordie Howe style sweaters, would be awsome

Reactions: AndreRoy

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG_1773.gif

Reactions: ChanceVegas

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Where ever they go, an NHL ready arena is a must, so what places have a 20k seat hockey arena all ready built?

Why does it have to be a 20K arena? You know only one arena has a seating capacity of 20K or higher? That's the Bell Centre with a seating capacity of 21,105. Every other one is listed under 20K.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Ask the Senators.

I'm willing to bet when they started up their fanbase was made up of transplanted (or local) Leafs and Habs fans, but in the end it took.

Same could happen in Hamilton.

That said, I think it's far more likely Houston comes out on top here, or Kansas City.

Hurricane Hugo

Jun 11, 2010
South Carolina
Guys, the Nordiques aren’t coming back. Too much money in too many other markets for Bettman to even consider Quebec. I’d love to see a Battle of Quebec in my lifetime but that ship sailed IMO

Reactions: xECK29x

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Feels like that might be it for Arizona. Obviously tough news for fans there, but bad arena deals and ownership decisions feels like it put them at the edge of a cliff with this Tempe deal. Maybe there's another rabbit to be pulled out of the hat, but not sure how. I suspect Houston is the most likely relocation scenario.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Big city does not necessarily mean success.

Never quite understood when people say that Arizona is the 5th market when there are only 7 million inhabitants.

Houston has the most arguments. But Utah or Portland would be nice to me.

To the east, obviously Quebec, which is setting fire with a QMJHL team. Possibility of making a Canada division (by managing the calendar, jet lag problems can be compensated easily) or Chicago returns to the west.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As I understand it the NHL wanted a team in Arizona as it had to do with having a national television deal and to get that you need a team in particular markets, and Arizona checked off a bo

It's too bad for the fans, but the Yotes have to stop being homeless and stop being in a 5000 person arena.

As to where they go would be nice to have another team in Canada, I don't see how Hamilton and Quebec City trump US markets. And those cities will be challenged as heck to attract players. Like was said , they will be at the top of NTC lists.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Suspect the PA would want more than "We're looking into it, or we'll see" about any scenario committing to keeping the team in Arizona while still playing in that arena.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Honestly I give full props to Yotes fans, probably some of the biggest NHL fans out there, Look at what they have on the ice, and look how much of a shitshow to the organization has been like 20 years and these guys still get out there and support their team despite not really having anything to cheer for. I still hope there is an option for remaining in AZ and the team can finally stop treading water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad