Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg. Move the Jets 2.0 back to Atlanta.

bcf.png

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The league sets the rules of play, assigns officials, determines suspensions, in short, it's the very platform on which the games are played. The idea that it could own a franchise itself, for multiple seasons, is abhorrent and an affront to the idea of fairness and impartiality of the league.

You’re right. The Cups the Coyotes won during that time really shouldn’t count.

Reactions: Voight

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I really doubt we see another team in Quebec City. They have some advantages - an arena/history/government likely willing to help things along - but it's a small market, not a great corporate base, a language barrier that while not insurmountable is bigger than in Montreal, and I suspect everyone and their mother with a NTC will put QC on the top of their list. I doubt it's a preferred site for the NHL or the PA. Given he owns the arena, I suspect PKP/Quebecor would want to own the team which might not go over well with the league given his politics and slant of his media outlets.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Haha, watch Bettman orchestrate a Matthews to Arizona trade as a last-ditch effort to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

"C'mon, Shanny. Do me a solid. You were my right hand man, after all. Clayton Keller and a first rounder for Matthews."

Reactions: OddyOh

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You guys get too hung up on alignment.
When the Thrashers came to Winnipeg the Jets played a couple of seasons in tue SOUTHEAST division.
The Nordiques can easily play in tue central.

You guys being the teams in the league?

Yes, the Jets played in the SE division for a bit. Which then directly resulted in a massive realignment. One that had Det not give a damn about being in the same division as Chi and StL anymore.

The Nords ain't playing in the same division as the Avs.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
July 2021 - Tempe publishes Request for Proposals for compost site with the stipulation that any respondent must be affiliated with a professional sports team. Only Meruelo and Bluebird Development respond to RFP and are selected.

The city offered this land to the Coyotes on a silver platter and worked with them for a little under a year to develop the proposal. The city could next week release a new RFP for the land that doesn't have the sports team stipulation and they'd get several responses.

Would they be better than the Coyotes? Who knows but that's the effective point Tempe 1st made: the only way to find out is if you vote no here.
I get the reasons for a No vote a lot better now. The Yotes could still try for an "open RFP", but time might not allow them.

Reactions: Shwan

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
You guys being the teams in the league?

Yes, the Jets played in the SE division for a bit. Which then directly resulted in a massive realignment. One that had Det not give a damn about being in the same division as Chi and StL anymore.

The Nords ain't playing in the same division as the Avs.
Why? Because you say so??
You have no clue what the league will decide.
I also remember very clearly, right up to the time that the Thrashers moved that Winnipeg will NEVER get a team. Not happening.. ever!
And we know different now don’t we.
Do not be surprised if the Yotes are playing in QC next season.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I really doubt we see another team in Quebec City. They have some advantages - an arena/history/government likely willing to help things along - but it's a small market, not a great corporate base, a language barrier that while not insurmountable is bigger than in Montreal, and I suspect everyone and their mother with a NTC will put QC on the top of their list. I doubt it's a preferred site for the NHL or the PA. Given he owns the arena, I suspect PKP/Quebecor would want to own the team which might not go over well with the league given his politics and slant of his media outlets.
He does not own the arena, the city does.

Quebecor have the management contract for the arena. It COULD be bought out. However, if a team were to become available, I doubt PKP would be willing to let the arena contract go as the likely owners would propably be a competitor/enemy of his.

Reactions: Transplanted Caper

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
For all the talk of misinformation this is the one that takes the cake and it's surprising because it's a Yes talking point.

Phoenix Business Journal ran some articles almost 2 years ago that give the verified timeline of events:

July 2019 - Alex Meruelo Becomes Coyotes Majority Owner.

Early 2020 - Meruelo meets with Tempe Mayor Mitchell and the city/team stay in contact since.

June 8 2020 - Alex Gutierrez named CEO of Coyotes.

July 16 2020 - Gutierrez tells Tempe he will have an arena Proposal for Tempe by Labor Day 2020.

September 8 2020 - Coyotes and Tempe agree to an NDA and hire Matt Jensen to assist in finalizing deal.

June 2021 - Tempe’s Engineering Department releases report identifying the compost site for potential private development.

July 2021 - Tempe publishes Request for Proposals for compost site with the stipulation that any respondent must be affiliated with a professional sports team. Only Meruelo and Bluebird Development respond to RFP and are selected.

The city offered this land to the Coyotes on a silver platter and worked with them for a little under a year to develop the proposal. The city could next week release a new RFP for the land that doesn't have the sports team stipulation and they'd get several responses.

Would they be better than the Coyotes? Who knows but that's the effective point Tempe 1st made: the only way to find out is if you vote no here.

Yes, I’m sure bidders will be lining up around the block to do $50mm of remediation before even breaking ground on their actual project.

This just has big “a mystery box could be anything — it could even be a boat!” energy.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
With the rumored price of the Sens I wonder if ownership just takes the money and runs or if they will be the ones doing the relocating.
Just my opinion. But if I were ownership id just grind it out and figure out the relocation and arena then sell to maximize value. At least that’s what I would do and try not to sell at lowest value.

Quebec City isn’t happening. NHL doesn’t want to mess up conference balancing. Quebec City has a better shot during next expansion piggy backing to balance the conferences when another Western team comes in.

My guess would be ether Houston which the league has coveted for some time. Or Kansas City as the location the Coyotes relocate to. NHL wants a team in Houston badly. If they can’t hammer that out then Kansas City already has an arena. Third on that list is probably Salt Lake.

If I were to put down a bet on which. I’d say Houston. NHL wants a team there. You wouldn’t have to rebrand the team if you didn’t want too. If you did you could go with a legacy name like the Aero’s. And you create possibly a very good interstate rivalry with Dallas. Houston checks to many boxes the NHL will covet if this relocation goes through.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Why? Because you say so??
You have no clue what the league will decide.
I also remember very clearly, right up to the time that the Thrashers moved that Winnipeg will NEVER get a team. Not happening.. ever!
And we know different now don’t we.
Do not be surprised if the Yotes are playing in QC next season.

This is not exactly true. True North Sports Enterprises was in fact very close to having the Coyotes relocate to Winnipeg.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think you're missing just how important these types of teams are for the league as a whole. You may laugh, you may scoff, you may shake your head - but try and see it in broader terms. A closed cap league is very much an enclosed ecosystem. It's all a cycle. For one to thrive there must be another to waste.

The Arizona Coyotes take on failed contracts from teams like actual coyotes devour road kill from urban areas. Might be gross but it keeps the place clean and allows the environment to prosper as a whole.

If it's not Arizona it's another team, so watch out.
And storied franchise CHICAGO will be taking salary dumps the next few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad