Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
From what I remember with Seattle's old key arena situation. The preference is generally for one big anchor tenant and the rest be concerts and events which means the arena is used nearly everyday and maximizes revenue. Two anchor tenants becomes more problematic with bookings but can still work if the owners are either the same ones or supportive of each other rather than competing against.

I think they can make smaller profits without an anchor tenant still but the aim is to try and have the arena used everyday.

I imagine the Flames could also hold the city hostage as they are the only pro sports team from a big league there. No mayor or council wants to be the ones to lose the city's pride and joy.
Yeah but what's the point of having an anchor tenant that demands all the money but doesn't want to pay any rent?

NHL teams are nothing more than greedy freeloaders who want everything for nothing.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
From an outsiders perspective it seemed like a pretty solid deal for the city.
I guess they’re cool with keeping their wasteland and paying way more in ~10 years when they want to try to clean it up again

1. In a vacuum the deal looks nice but when you take it in with all the other developments that are going on in the area, all of which have gotten the GPLET property tax exemption and/or some other tax credits, it becomes less savory. Especially in this upcoming period of economic uncertainty.

Some people felt a line in the sand had to be drawn somewhere and Meruelo did no favors for himself to avoid being the guy.

2. The Coyotes have been the only group offered the chance to make a proposal on the land. If the City runs an open, competitive Request
for proposals for the site they will undoubtedly get competitive offers that will provide value.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A lot of events that CAN be held, but how many events per year are actually held in the arena? I just looked at the website for the T-Mobile arena in KC, doesn't seem all that busy. I know it is tough to judge this time of year, but how does a guarantee of 44 dates hurt the arena?
I don't think it takes that many events if all the money stays with the arena. Here in Calgary the Flames want money from non-hockey events as well. It will be impossible for either the new arena or city to make any money of whatever is built.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Well, this is all quite unfortunate. It seemed like a good opportunity to solidify the future of the Coyotes, and the voters were swayed by advertising. After all the years spent on the Coyotes, I hoped it would work out in the end. Now it seems like all that was a waste.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
As someone who has casually rooted for the Coyotes over the years, this is awful news. I have a good friend that just moved to Arizona and was looking forward to going to games as I would go and visit. I don't know how long the process to move could take, but hopefully I can make it in time for a game.

As an Isles fan it was awful in the years things were up in the air, to lose your team is devastating. I can't imagine what it's like for Coyotes fans.

It's really sad and annoying to see all these folks, largely Canadian hockey fans, actively celebrating the demise of a franchise and loss of a team from an area. No one wants to lose their team, and gloating isn't a good look.

I love the idea of hockey in non-traditional markets and with the proper ownership it can absolutely work. Four non-traditional hockey markets are current the last four teams in the playoffs, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

I hope a miracle happens and the Yotes stay. I've met some awesome fans of the team and they deserve it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A lot of events that CAN be held, but how many events per year are actually held in the arena? I just looked at the website for the T-Mobile arena in KC, doesn't seem all that busy. I know it is tough to judge this time of year, but how does a guarantee of 44 dates hurt the arena?
According to the website, t-mobile arena holds over 100 ticketed events per year.

PNC arena, where Carolina plays holds over 150 events per year, so the KC number, without NHL seems to be in the ballpark.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
According to the website, t-mobile arena holds over 100 ticketed events per year.

PNC arena, where Carolina plays holds over 150 events per year, so the KC number, without NHL seems to be in the ballpark.
That's good info - thanks!

The same could be said of our new arena here in Calgary. Shania Twain just had two concerts in the old arena so there are ways of filling dates. We don't need the Flames - in fact our new arena would be better without them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Bc that is exactly what lawyers do. There is no way the league doesn't have contingencies mapped out. None that they like, but also none we will hear about until after the finals is over.
The "contingency" is going to be trying find a buyer in Houston. They have don't have a ready-to-move-in backup plan.

The NHL is run worse than lemonade stand. Foresight? Lol.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
#1 Make sure ownership has deep pockets.
#2 if you're going to do revenue sharing, get a little creative.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
It's really sad and annoying to see all these folks, largely Canadian hockey fans, actively celebrating the demise of a franchise and loss of a team from an area. No one wants to lose their team, and gloating isn't a good look.

I love the idea of hockey in non-traditional markets and with the proper ownership it can absolutely work. Four non-traditional hockey markets are current the last four teams in the playoffs, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

enough with the league welfare to developing teams in non traditional markets - past time to raise prices in these places and have some kind of parity in the cost of fan experiences

Reactions: Pink Mist

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That tells me ownership really didn't doesn't care to keep the team in Phoenix. Meruelo is a billionaire and didn't care to spend a million bucks on this? Seems fishy.
Meruelo is as cheap it gets. His business is stiffing payments, avoiding debts, and generally not paying for things.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Houston is a fantastic choice here. The NHL needs to do the right thing here. If you expand, give it to Quebec City next
Problem is you need 2 expansion teams and Houston was one so not sure what they'd do then. Probably Quebec and Salt Lake but someone is moving conferences

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The fact that the Coyotes could only muster 250K for their campaign (on a project that would be worth billions) is such a red flag that Meruelo was the fraud he was suspected of being.

Meruelo is as cheap it gets. His business is stiffing payments, avoiding debts, and generally not paying for things.

And we were told that not taking money back from Ottawa was saavy and and and everytime the Coyotes did something that was obviously meant to cut costs. That fanbase got stiffed and sold yet another bill of goods.

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
As long as some idiot with deep pockets is still willing to pay, they aren't going anywhere.

I think it's time to throw in the towel with this franchise though. It'll be interesting to see where they go

Ad

Ad

Ad