Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've heard that. Is he known to be hard to work with?

I could be wrong but aren't there other situations in the league like that where the owner of the arena owns the NBA team but not the NHL team? Financially there's still a mutually beneficial arrangement to be had there, so it should be fine as long as the guy isn't a dick.
let’s just say that he is used to getting his way. So if he doesn’t own the team, you would have to deal with him. he has expressed interest in owning hockey team but balked at price. I think he would be good owner if he bought the team, bad landlord if he didn’t.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Yes, I’m sure bidders will be lining up around the block to do $50mm of remediation before even breaking ground on their actual project.

This just has big “a mystery box could be anything — it could even be a boat!” energy.
Vestar development paid ~$20M out of pocket to remediate Tempe Marketplace which is ~$30M now when you account for inflation.

Given that this area is more valuable and if there was an actually competitive RFP process I'd be confident that there would be a few Respondents willing to shoulder the full remediation in exchange for the GPLET.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
This is not exactly true. True North Sports Enterprises was in fact very close to having the Coyotes relocate to Winnipeg.

And even with that news being EVERYWHERE people HERE continued to say that Winnipeg won’t ever happen.
Its well documented.

And now we are hearing the exact same thing with QC.
None of us know where this team will end up, but I for one will not be surprised if QC is tue landing spot

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So if the team stays west, welcome KC?

Imo seems like the least hassle: New-ish downtown arena without an anchor tenant (so no NBA to compete with), plus some established local rivalries with other cities in the central.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Got to imagine the priority is for a centrally located city to prevent division/conference re-alignment. I wonder if that was deliberate when Arizona moved a couple of years ago. That would put in play Salt Lake, KC and Houston. Guessing no eastern conference team wants to play in the west with further travel. Didn't Detroit fight tooth and nail to move east?

Sucks for fans in Arizona. it's never fun losing a team.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I've heard that. Is he known to be hard to work with?

I could be wrong but aren't there other situations in the league like that where the owner of the arena owns the NBA team but not the NHL team? Financially there's still a mutually beneficial arrangement to be had there, so it should be fine as long as the guy isn't a dick.
I believe he has said he is open to an NHL team moving to his arena, but is not interested in owning the team himself. Doubt another billionaire is going to be willing to buy the team, move them to Houston to be a tennant.

Reactions: DaveG

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why? Because you say so??
You have no clue what the league will decide.
I also remember very clearly, right up to the time that the Thrashers moved that Winnipeg will NEVER get a team. Not happening.. ever!
And we know different now don’t we.
Do not be surprised if the Yotes are playing in QC next season.

And everyone back then thought the Coyotes would be the team moving, to Quebec, not the Thrashers, to Winnipeg.

It's got nothing to with what I say. Just looking at the lay of the land. No team in the ETZ would move west, the CTZ teams don't want yet another time zone in their division, and I'm sure Quebec itself would love to be tied to the west coast, just like Detroit did.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So if the team stays west, welcome KC?

Imo seems like the least hassle: New-ish downtown arena without an anchor tenant (so no NBA to compete with), plus some established local rivalries with other cities in the central.
Does KC even want an NHL franchise? Their insane revenue demands would make it impossible for an arena to make any money off of them.

Could the owner fully finance a privately owned new arena in Arizona?
NHL teams should pay for everything.

Compared to what the Calgary Arena proposal is, the Tempe plan was a gift to the citizens.
Which means that us Calgary taxpayers should be demanding a vote on our disastrous deal as soon as possible.

Reactions: Shwan and Heldig

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Most the vitriol on here against the Coyotes comes from Canadian fans salty that the league doesn’t want to expand there. Keep the coyotes no matter what, and seize the Leafs organization and all their assets and give them to Arizona if they need to. It’s what’s best for the game

A little early to be drinking...or partaking in other substances, Ed.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Friedman says the PA will be ramping up the pressure for an answer one way or another about what's next. Also suggests - though more speculative - that the NHL could approach the Suns about renovating that arena and make it work for hockey. Marek brought up the idea of suspending operations for a year - Friedman shot the idea down. Doesn't see Quebec City as feasible for this particular situation. NHL met with Houston before but they weren't on the same page with regards to costs and fees so there would need to be movement on that. Thinks Salt Lake City will get a team someday but Jazz owner prefers expansion (but speculates that necessity could change things). Finally, Friedman talked about whether if it IS a move does it happen this summer or next.

Last edited:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Does KC even want an NHL franchise? Their insane revenue demands would make it impossible for an arena to make any money off of them.

NHL teams should pay for everything.

Which means that us Calgary taxpayers should be demanding a vote on our disastrous deal as soon as possible.

Isn't KC's arena basically sitting empty barring some college games. I think they built it thinking they were getting NBA. I'm not sure how much hockey is liked there but i'm sure the arena owner will want the arena used given KC isn't getting NBA any time soon., especially over Vegas or Seattle.

Yes and yes to the others

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Isn't KC's arena basically sitting empty barring some college games. I think they built it thinking they were getting NBA. I'm not sure how much hockey is liked there but i'm sure the arena owner will want the arena used given KC isn't getting NBA any time soon., especially over Vegas or Seattle.

Yes and yes to the others
There are lots of events that can be held at the arena. Concerts are a good example of that.

That's a part of the misinformation here in Calgary. We're being led to believe that it's the NHL or nothing. That's pure fallacy. We're not being told about all of the things that can happen in the new arena.

Calgary doesn't need an NHL team. If anything, our arena would make a lot of money for the city without one and my hunch is that KC knows this as well.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
There are lots of events that can be held at the arena. Concerts are a good example of that.

That's a part of the misinformation here in Calgary. We're being led to believe that it's the NHL or nothing. That's pure fallacy. We're not being told about all of the things that can happen in the new arena.

Calgary doesn't need an NHL team. If anything, our arena would make a lot of money for the city without one and my hunch is that KC knows this as well.
From what I remember with Seattle's old key arena situation. The preference is generally for one big anchor tenant and the rest be concerts and events which means the arena is used nearly everyday and maximizes revenue. Two anchor tenants becomes more problematic with bookings but can still work if the owners are either the same ones or supportive of each other rather than competing against.

I think they can make smaller profits without an anchor tenant still but the aim is to try and have the arena used everyday.

I imagine the Flames could also hold the city hostage as they are the only pro sports team from a big league there. No mayor or council wants to be the ones to lose the city's pride and joy.

Reactions: DaveG

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Actually, it's pronounced mee-lee-wah-kay, which is Algonquin for "the good land".

waynes-world-i-was-not-aware-of-that.gif

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

A lot of events that CAN be held, but how many events per year are actually held in the arena? I just looked at the website for the T-Mobile arena in KC, doesn't seem all that busy. I know it is tough to judge this time of year, but how does a guarantee of 44 dates hurt the arena?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad