TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Can confirm there is mutual interest on Duchenes end that he would like to be in Arizona as well.
If this is the case then I'd like to trade for his rights. While I'd agree that he seems like he would want to go JT on all this, but I think something about a player's mentality changes when a team trades for their rights. Of course we'd look silly if it doesn't work out, but if we're in his top 3 I think it could be a move worth making to get in his ear first

Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why would Duchene not sign with the BLue Jackets again vs the Coyotes? The Jackets are way ahead of the Coyotes in reaching the Cup.
Will Duchene go back home to Montreal? There's a chance at that. Otherwise I would put the Coyotes chances at about 0.1 percent. No way he goes to the armpit of the NHL.

Regarding the Blue Jackets, if they are to re-sign Duchene, they forfeit their 1st round pick in 2020 draft.

Here are the Jackets' picks over the next two years:

2019: 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick from Calgary
2020: 1st round pick, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks

While locking up Duchene is not bad, that means a total of 6 picks in the next two years, with none higher than the 3rd round. Considering that their prospect pool is getting a little more shallow (I think 5 of their top 6 AHL scorers were above the age of 27), I think that the Jackets are going to remove themselves from the bidding and may even be listening to something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for Duchene's negotiating rights.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If this is the case then I'd like to trade for his rights. While I'd agree that he seems like he would want to go JT on all this, but I think something about a player's mentality changes when a team trades for their rights. Of course we'd look silly if it doesn't work out, but if we're in his top 3 I think it could be a move worth making to get in his ear first

I agree on trading for the rights. As I just stated above, Columbus would love draft capital. I would offer #76 for Duchene's rights, and if he signs here, we get a 2020 6th round pick from Columbus. If he doesn't sign here, it becomes a 2020 4th round pick.

It cost a 5th for Goligoski. I think that moving up to a pick in the top 80 and having to give back one the next year in either the 95-125 range for not signing in AZ, or in the 160-195 range for signing seems fair.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
All we've heard from Chayka is how mistakes are made July 1 and how he has a defined process.

If you are expecting AZ to be movers and shakers on July 1st I would say be prepared to be disappointed. Nobody is signing for more than OEL. Our name is being floated out there by agents. None of it makes sense.

I have to agree as it is generally the least cost-efficient method of acquiring talent. However, I think the mistakes come more from teams not grabbing the best players/deals early and then determining that they just can't come out of free agency not having acquired some one and then they overpay. So long as you're willing to walk away from the table when it's just scraps, the team will be fine. It's also a generally not seen as a way to shape a core, so I can see that contributing to the folly as well.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Can confirm there is mutual interest on Duchenes end that he would like to be in Arizona as well.
How can you confirm this?
I simply don't believe it. Duchene will never come here.
He talks about working his whole life for this opportunity and he wants to play for a winner in a good hockey environment . That just eliminates the coyotes.
Montreal is his hometown. That's possible.
but more likely a place like Philly. Lots of good young talent and tons of cap space.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How can you confirm this?
I simply don't believe it. Duchene will never come here.
He talks about working his whole life for this opportunity and he wants to play for a winner in a good hockey environment . That just eliminates the coyotes.
Montreal is his hometown. That's possible.
but more likely a place like Philly. Lots of good young talent and tons of cap space.
If by Montreal you mean Haliburton Ontario then you are correct. But hey what's 500 kms between friends.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
should have said his boyhood team.
I read on Reddit it's between Montreal and Nashville.

But who really knows.
His boyhood team was the Colorado Avalanche. It was a huge story leading up to the draft. Duchene in his Avalanche themed room. He said on Spitten' Chiclets that he vividly remembers sobbing uncontrollably as a boy when they were eliminated from the playoffs. He was a die-hard Avs fan. His hero was Joe Sakic. He still eventually asked Joe Sakic to trade him away from the Avalanche. These things obviously mean very little.

Reactions: Mosby

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
His boyhood team was the Colorado Avalanche. It was a huge story leading up to the draft. Duchene in his Avalanche themed room. He said on Spitten' Chiclets that he vividly remembers sobbing uncontrollably as a boy when they were eliminated from the playoffs. He was a die-hard Avs fan. His hero was Joe Sakic. He still eventually asked Joe Sakic to trade him away from the Avalanche. These things obviously mean very little.
Matt Duchene grew up a Habs fan until Roy was traded, and his dad ...

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Nice try. He was three and a half years old when Roy was traded. To Colorado. I have a four and a half year old. He can’t name a single professional athlete. Neither could any kid in his class. He certainly could sit through a hockey game.

Again, obviously none of this matters.
It would not surprise me to have Montreal sign him. I have mixed feelings about it. I prefer they DONT. But wouldnt be too unhappy if they did. He's a huge MINUS in his career and is not even close to a point a game. He's got "talent" which doesnt mean that much. BUT he did have a good playoff for the Jackets.
All I know is he wont be signing here.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
No. It’s not an open discussion and no you won’t find it in the open. But, there is mutual interest. Now does that mean he signs here? Who knows.

Reactions: OT OEL and che

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
No. It’s not an open discussion and no you won’t find it in the open. But, there is mutual interest. Now does that mean he signs here? Who knows.

Yeah, I'll just they keep it low until it is legal to talk about it, then.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It will be about money/term, highest bud wins. All teams and all players think they can win the cup, we are no exception. If money is close, we have a few advantages:

1. Your our 1C the next 7 years
2. Scottsdale is a great place to live and retire
3. Less stress from the press, no pressure in AZ

Its still about money, but our tie breakers are attractive.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It will be about money/term, highest bud wins. All teams and all players think they can win the cup, we are no exception. If money is close, we have a few advantages:

1. Your our 1C the next 7 years
2. Scottsdale is a great place to live and retire
3. Less stress from the press, no pressure in AZ

Its still about money, but our tie breakers are attractive.
I know you guys will find this hard to believe but not everyone wants to live in the desert. I'm living that hassle as my Wife absolutely hates AZ and has spent 10 days in our house there in the last 18 months. FTR I have no idea if Duchene and Wife like or hate or would tolerate AZ.

Dirty Old Man

Old but not really dirty
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I know you guys will find this hard to believe but not everyone wants to live in the desert. I'm living that hassle as my Wife absolutely hates AZ and has spent 10 days in our house there in the last 18 months. FTR I have no idea if Duchene and Wife like or hate or would tolerate AZ.

Hell, *I* don't want to live here June to September. But I'm from Florida and I don't wanna live there either June to September.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What does you wife like to do? Shovel snow? Ride horses? Drive a combine? Knit? Spend your money? What do you mean by "tolerate AZ"?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hell, *I* don't want to live here June to September. But I'm from Florida and I don't wanna live there either June to September.
Winters where I live are very cold but sunny. Most people laugh when I tell them that Saskatoon , Saskatchewan has some of the nicest summers of anywhere I have ever been. From May to Oct I can golf 9 out of 10 days with temps around 75 to 95. I swim in my pool from late Apr to early Oct.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What does you wife like to do? Shovel snow? Ride horses? Drive a combine? Knit? Spend your money? What do you mean by "tolerate AZ"?
Tolerate means could exist there. It's not love it or hate it. Yeah it snows everyday here for 8 months of the tear and rarely gets above -20!!! I would harbor a guess that we do more here than you do in AZ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have shoveled my share of snow at way below freezing temperatures. I have had my ears, cheeks frostbitten. Had to have my car jumped because it would not start,and that is when plugged in, pushed out of snow drifts. Each to their own, but give me AZ summers over winter any day of the week.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tolerate means could exist there. It's not love it or hate it. Yeah it snows everyday here for 8 months of the tear and rarely gets above -20!!! I would harbor a guess that we do more here than you do in AZ.
Hey buddy I lived that dream. I have lived the better part of my life in Alberta. You can BS your friends and I will BS mine, but let's not BS each other.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad