TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
FWIW there are currently 9 players in the whole league with a cap hit of 10 or more. Seven are forwards. I realize some of these deals were signed under a lesser cap, but it's still amusing for Duchene to make the argument that he's in this category.

McDavid 12.5
Matthews 11.634
Doughty 11
Tavares 11
Price 10.5
Toews 10.5
Kane 10.5
Kopitar 10
Eichel 10

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
FWIW there are currently 9 players in the whole league with a cap hit of 10 or more. Seven are forwards. I realize some of these deals were signed under a lesser cap, but it's still amusing for Duchene to make the argument that he's in this category.

McDavid 12.5
Matthews 11.634
Doughty 11
Tavares 11
Price 10.5
Toews 10.5
Kane 10.5
Kopitar 10
Eichel 10
Every summer moves the needle, man. Exactly one of those guys hit the open market.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
How much of Skinner's deal was "please don't leave Buffalo" money by a desperate GM?
I don't think Duchene deserves the 70+ million dollar deal I'm certain he's going to get. I think he's maybe the most overrated player in the game right now. Lucky for him, that's coinciding with his being an unrestricted free-agent. I think we know what that's a recipe for. He's definitely getting 70+ million. It's definitely a bad deal. I definitely hope we're the team that ultimately signs him to it. :)

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Let's acquire his rights then and get ahead of the bidders.
I'm telling you, he's going to JT PJ this thing. It's Duchene's time in the sun. As soon as the cup is awarded, the hockey media is going to start turning the hype machine up on Duchene. From June 17th until July 1st, the entire hockey world is going to pretend Duchene is Crosby.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Duchene is the top C this summer, however he's the #3 UFA after Karlsson and Panarin. There won't be a circus around him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Duchene is the top C this summer, however he's the #3 UFA after Karlsson and Panarin. There won't be a circus around him.
Karlsson’s star has fallen enough that I think Duchene is the more marquee name. I know it’s undeserved but I believe it’s true. EK was quiet in SJ. Everything is quiet around SJ in general. He doesn’t get takes about much. I know it’s dumb but I believe it’s true.

There isn’t much intrigue with Panarin. Him I could see agreeing to terms with Florida like right off the hop. Cold water right on the hype train.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
With new ownership and the chance to be ‘the man’ here in AZ, Panarin just might give us a look.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
With new ownership and the chance to be ‘the man’ here in AZ, Panarin just might give us a look.
He did play 11 games with Josh Gratton on the Vityaz Chekhov team in 2009-2011. Hopefully Josh put in a good word for us!!! Cross-Fingers!

Oh boy! And Daniil Markov the season after. And Goncharov the season after that and Niko Kapanen the season after that! Wait...Niko Kapanen did play for us once right?

Seriously, though, he and Tikhonov were boys. He's also tight with Dadonov, which is part of the Florida rumors.

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
He did play 11 games with Josh Gratton on the Vityaz Chekhov team in 2009-2011. Hopefully Josh put in a good word for us!!! Cross-Fingers!

Heh, I've been looking for connections like this with Duchene. Best I can find so far is he's good buddies with Pickard, and he seemed to enjoy his time here and we treated him well.

Perhaps Tocchet can play into our favour. Players' coach, especially compared to Laviolette and Julien who have reputations as A-holes.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Real connections would be with Hawks but I doubt as a rookie he spent a whole lot of time with Hjalmarsson and Panik were were there at the time. His 2nd season in the league was the rookie season for both of Schmaltz and Hinostroza, though. I guess it's possible the younger guys were buds. Panarin was an older rookie, though. And he was probably hanging out mostly with other Russians.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
All we've heard from Chayka is how mistakes are made July 1 and how he has a defined process.

If you are expecting AZ to be movers and shakers on July 1st I would say be prepared to be disappointed. Nobody is signing for more than OEL. Our name is being floated out there by agents. None of it makes sense.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Skeptical that the Coyotes can sign Duchene. Still think scoring wingers is a bigger need. That said, a 5 year $45 million contract is kind of attractive (doubtful it is enough - someone is going to offer him too much money)
Galchenyuk - Duchene - Keller
Dvorak - Schmaltz - Hinostroza
Crouse - Stepan - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Fischer

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All we've heard from Chayka is how mistakes are made July 1 and how he has a defined process.

If you are expecting AZ to be movers and shakers on July 1st I would say be prepared to be disappointed. Nobody is signing for more than OEL. Our name is being floated out there by agents. None of it makes sense.
I believe our name is out there, but I doubt we will pay what most are asking. IF we could afford it and a super star became available, I don't think OEL's contract would enter the picture. As the cap goes up, so does the salaries, so hopefully, sooner than later, we sign someone who gets more $$$ than OEL.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
How much of Skinner's deal was "please don't leave Buffalo" money by a desperate GM?
Probably $1-1.5 million of it.

If a team offers Duchene more than 9 million they will be making a mistake. I'm sure we are poking around on Duchene but I doubt our offer is the highest dollar figure. We are probably a lot closer to $8 million than we are $10.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Skeptical that the Coyotes can sign Duchene. Still think scoring wingers is a bigger need. That said, a 5 year $45 million contract is kind of attractive (doubtful it is enough - someone is going to offer him too much money)
Galchenyuk - Duchene - Keller
Dvorak - Schmaltz - Hinostroza
Crouse - Stepan - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Fischer
If you sign Duchene you solve your winger need by moving Schmaltz to wing.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If you sign Duchene you solve your winger need by moving Schmaltz to wing.

What is the absolute maximum, I can't-believe-I'm-offering-this offer you'd make to Duchene?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
What is the absolute maximum, I can't-believe-I'm-offering-this offer you'd make to Duchene?
Assuming we’re suddenly a cap team? I guess 70 million. I don’t think that NYI, NYR, NJD, MTL, VAN or SJS would go much higher than that, and they have some of the worst tax situations in the NHL. Our worry there would be more FLA or NSH. The former seems to be focused elsewhere and the latter would have to move mountains to make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad