TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Not sure Duchene is our best bet...unlikely he signs in the desert...but sure exciting to see getting a marquee player is an option (potentially).
Matt Duchene is not a marquee player. Sorry.

FWIW there are currently 9 players in the whole league with a cap hit of 10 or more. Seven are forwards. I realize some of these deals were signed under a lesser cap, but it's still amusing for Duchene to make the argument that he's in this category.

McDavid 12.5
Matthews 11.634
Doughty 11
Tavares 11
Price 10.5
Toews 10.5
Kane 10.5
Kopitar 10
Eichel 10
So the first time your team is willing to spend money on franchise history and you have to act cheap, like it’s your own money. Who cares if they overpay Duchene. It’s not like the rest of the money is being saved for Karlsson or someone.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Assuming we’re suddenly a cap team? I guess 70 million. I don’t think that NYI, NYR, NJD, MTL, VAN or SJS would go much higher than that, and they have some of the worst tax situations in the NHL. Our worry there would be more FLA or NSH. The former seems to be focused elsewhere and the latter would have to move mountains to make it work.

I don't see a need in Florida with Barkov and Trocheck.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
So the first time your team is willing to spend money on franchise history and you have to act cheap, like it’s your own money. Who cares if they overpay Duchene. It’s not like the rest of the money is being saved for Karlsson or someone.

I would hope our team learned some lessons given our situation over the last decade.

Great, blow your brains out on Duchene. No room left for anyone else. And what about those extensions due for Galchenyuk, Keller, and Kuemper?

This is why stupid people go broke after winning the lottery.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I would hope our team learned some lessons given our situation over the last decade.

Great, blow your brains out on Duchene. No room left for anyone else. And what about those extensions due for Galchenyuk, Keller, and Kuemper?

This is why stupid people go broke after winning the lottery.
I thought you guys had more cap space than 8.6M, I didn’t check.

But holy f***. How do you guys have such a high caphit with those players.

Reactions: RABBIT

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

But holy ****. How do you guys have such a high caphit with those players.

Dead contracts, which we needed a couple of years ago to reach the cap floor, and Mike Ribeiro's buyout.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Plus, if none of them are re-signed, Kuemper, Connauton, Richardson and Ribeiro's money all come off the books after this season too. Comes to $6.4M.

Anybody also think that Galchenyuk heading towards a young UFA could really change the dynamic as well?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Plus, if none of them are re-signed, Kuemper, Connauton, Richardson and Ribeiro's money all come off the books after this season too. Comes to $6.4M.

Anybody also think that Galchenyuk heading towards a young UFA could really change the dynamic as well?

I don’t expect Galchenyuk to be on this team next year quite honestly

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

But holy ****. How do you guys have such a high caphit with those players.
Ask Chayka that. We can get some relief from Hossa, but still, you are right, and we still have to sign our RFA's. I like Duchene a lot, but I think he will price himself out of the Coyotes quickly.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Can confirm there is mutual interest on Duchenes end that he would like to be in Arizona as well.
tenor.gif

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Can confirm there is mutual interest on Duchenes end that he would like to be in Arizona as well.
Hey that’s good! Even if he’s got us among the top five or top three of suitors that could theoretically even fit him or be interested in trying to do so, we’ve still got a long way to go to be something other an a long shot. :)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wonder who is having all of these conversations with a player who is the property of another team??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wonder who is having all of these conversations with a player who is the property of another team??
You really don't think players, agents, GM's talk. I'm sure you heard from a friend of a friend of their friend.:)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You really don't think players, agents, GM's talk. I'm sure you heard from a friend of a friend of their friend.:)
Yes, but rarely is it open that a team is interested and now so is the player. That generally doesn't make Uncle Gary happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad