TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hey buddy I lived that dream. I have lived the better part of my life in Alberta. You can BS your friends and I will BS mine, but let's not BS each other.
I'm not bs'ing anyone. I spend my winters in AZ but I have many friends who would not entertain living without winter. It's a personal thing. Throw in the negative parts of living in AZ and it's nowhere near a slam dunk that everyone wants that.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
I know you guys will find this hard to believe but not everyone wants to live in the desert. I'm living that hassle as my Wife absolutely hates AZ and has spent 10 days in our house there in the last 18 months. FTR I have no idea if Duchene and Wife like or hate or would tolerate AZ.
9/10 Canadians would absolutely want to live in the desert

I hope we don't sign Duchene though.. he's a cancer

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Winters where I live are very cold but sunny. Most people laugh when I tell them that Saskatoon , Saskatchewan has some of the nicest summers of anywhere I have ever been. From May to Oct I can golf 9 out of 10 days with temps around 75 to 95. I swim in my pool from late Apr to early Oct.
:laugh:If you swim in your pool late April and Oct then you are an Eskimo, a full blooded Eskimo. I lived in Medicine Hat where the summers are warmer than Saskatoon, and I can't recall any one having an outdoor pool.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
:laugh:If you swim in your pool late April and Oct then you are an Eskimo, a full blooded Eskimo. I lived in Medicine Hat where the summers are warmer than Saskatoon, and I can't recall any one having an outdoor pool.
My neighbourhood is full of pools?? Never heard of a heater and cover??

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I know you guys will find this hard to believe but not everyone wants to live in the desert. I'm living that hassle as my Wife absolutely hates AZ and has spent 10 days in our house there in the last 18 months. FTR I have no idea if Duchene and Wife like or hate or would tolerate AZ.
Not everyone, I believe that. Think about a hockey players wife and/or family. When the weather is nice, September through May, you get to live in Scottsdale while your husband travels. When the season is over, you can go live wherever and avoid the heat. Its a great set up versus being stuck in a cold climate like Montreal all winter while your husband travels all winter.

Reactions: Jakey53 and che

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Obviously not everyone wants to live here, but I have a friend who wants to live in Fargo North Dakota the rest of his life and that's ridiculous to me. Everyone has their tastes, pretty sure everyone knows that. That's not some ground breaking discovery that some people don't want to live in Phoenix

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Obviously not everyone wants to live here, but I have a friend who wants to live in Fargo North Dakota the rest of his life and that's ridiculous to me. Everyone has their tastes, pretty sure everyone knows that. That's not some ground breaking discovery that some people don't want to live in Phoenix
I simply pointed that out as some people think living in AZ is a major advantage. To some it is and to some it isn't. Personally I would live there in a second flat but many actually hate the place.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No accounting for taste.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I simply pointed that out as some people think living in AZ is a major advantage. To some it is and to some it isn't. Personally I would live there in a second flat but many actually hate the place.
Living in AZ is a major advantage though, while obviously not everyone wants to, I think it's fair to say more hockey players and their families would rather live here, it's not like we're talking about a 50/50 situation.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Living in AZ is a major advantage though, while obviously not everyone wants to, I think it's fair to say more hockey players and their families would rather live here, it's not like we're talking about a 50/50 situation.
I don't really see that playing out in the dozen years I've been following the Coyotes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't really see that playing out in the dozen years I've been following the Coyotes.
I'm just going to assume you're being willfully ignorant here because anyone who is even remotely a hockey fan let alone a Coyotes fan knows the franchise has been light years from any sort of normalcy which one would need as a basis for such a statement.

Reactions: lanky

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm just going to assume you're being willfully ignorant here because anyone who is even remotely a hockey fan let alone a Coyotes fan knows the franchise has been light years from any sort of normalcy which one would need as a basis for such a statement.
Not really. If that fact was true we would easily be attracting the top free agent for each price point. We get an occasional one but IMO most players put weather way down their list of priorities during their career.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No. It’s not an open discussion and no you won’t find it in the open. But, there is mutual interest. Now does that mean he signs here? Who knows.

An Uber joke came to mind when I first saw this :laugh:, but yeah there's nothing that can be said publicly until the negotiating window opens June 23rd.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Not really. If that fact was true we would easily be attracting the top free agent for each price point. We get an occasional one but IMO most players put weather way down their list of priorities during their career.
Like I said...willfully ignorant.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Player priorities:

1) Money/taxes
2) Competitive opportunity
3) Family stability and resources
27) Weather and bars/clubs

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Player priorities:

1) Money/taxes
I would say that is fairly correct but there have been a few pieces written in last couple of years in regards to Canadians and Americans playing in the NHL and tax benefits. It seems because of our tax treaty there is very little difference in taxes paid regardless of where you play vs where you live. It was last written about Matthew's new contract and Stamkos before that for two situations. It was Canadians in the US and Americans in Canada I should add.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Player priorities:

1) Money/taxes
Guys with a family, wife, girlfriend, do care about lifestyle/weather. Its not last on the list, its in the top 3. You do know why hardly any UFA's sign in Winnipeg or Edmonton right?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Guys with a family, wife, girlfriend, do care about lifestyle/weather. Its not last on the list, its in the top 3. You do know why hardly any UFA's sign in Winnipeg or Edmonton right?
Maybe take a look at free agent signings for last couple years and make the case for weather, it sure doesn't look like it was that important. Calgary as an example did well last year.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
In a manner of two weeks I've gone from "there's no way we will sign Duchene so I won't consider it an option" to "ok, we are rumored to be in on Duchene but I don't want to blow the budget on a mid level 1C" to "yeah signing Duchene would be pretty sweet" to "I'm going to be disappointed if we don't sign Duchene".

Signing him would do so much for this franchise.
1. Outside of injuries I feel it almost garuntees a playoff spot next season in a weaker Pacific. Playoffs = local popularity in a time where all of the other AZ franchises will be hot garbage. It could be years before the other franchises are contenders. That means years of the Yotes being on top.
2. It proves that we have an owner willing to spend and that AZ can attract top UFA. Something we have never been able to do.
3. It will help with re-signing our own players. Gally will have a much higher incentive to stay in AZ if we have success and can surround him with better players. Same for the Kellers, Crouses, Hjarlmassons, etc.
4. Stepan would potentially be our 3C. If you told me in 2016 that by 2019 Derek Stepan would be our 3C, I'd spank you.
5. If Duchene doesn't work out for cap/attitude issues we can trade him and GAIN assets. We would have signed a top end player without giving up anything. If he hates it here or doesn't fit, we can move him for real assets.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In a manner of two weeks I've gone from "there's no way we will sign Duchene so I won't consider it an option" to "ok, we are rumored to be in on Duchene but I don't want to blow the budget on a mid level 1C" to "yeah signing Duchene would be pretty sweet" to "I'm going to be disappointed if we don't sign Duchene".

Signing him would do so much for this franchise.
1. Outside of injuries I feel it almost garuntees a playoff spot next season in a weaker Pacific. Playoffs = local popularity in a time where all of the other AZ franchises will be hot garbage. It could be years before the other franchises are contenders. That means years of the Yotes being on top.
2. It proves that we have an owner willing to spend and that AZ can attract top UFA. Something we have never been able to do.
3. It will help with re-signing our own players. Gally will have a much higher incentive to stay in AZ if we have success and can surround him with better players. Same for the Kellers, Crouses, Hjarlmassons, etc.
4. Stepan would potentially be our 3C. If you told me in 2016 that by 2019 Derek Stepan would be our 3C, I'd spank you.
5. If Duchene doesn't work out for cap/attitude issues we can trade him and GAIN assets. We would have signed a top end player without giving up anything. If he hates it here or doesn't fit, we can move him for real assets.
I'd sign Duchene in a second flat. Each center dropped down a spot makes them and the Coyotes better. Not to mention our wingers all getting better by virtue of playing with a better center than last year. And another guy to teach the young guys the way.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think signing Duchene, arguably this year’s premiere free agent, would do a lot in rebuilding the respectability of the franchise. Look at all the assclowns in the trade board Duchene thread with the “lol he’s not going to Arizona” remarks. Let’s change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad