TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How long have you been gone Jakey? Do you ever return?
24 years this August. Been back twice. Hope to start going back more often to visit friends and family. As we get older priorities change.:)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
24 years this August. Been back twice. Hope to start going back more often to visit friends and family. As we get older priorities change.:)
You will be shocked at how even the small Cities have changed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know. I talk to friends and they tell me. The other day I did a google map on the Hat. It has probably doubled in size since I left. I opened the first Subway franchise in Alberta, now the Hat has many American food franchisees. There was no Walmart, Home Depots etc. When I was younger I didn't like the "slow pace" of a small town and that was one reason I moved to Edmonton and then Phoenix. Now I miss it, and might consider a move to Prescott in a few years, but not sure if I could or would move back to the Hat, unless I get a place for the summer.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I live near Calgary and the changes to places like Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, and even places like Strathmore has been incredible to witness.

My daughter lives in Regina and even the changes there in the last four years, including demographics, has been quite noticeable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I live near Calgary and the changes to places like Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, and even places like Strathmore has been incredible to witness.

My daughter lives in Regina and even the changes there in the last four years, including demographics, has been quite noticeable.
I bet. When I moved to Phoenix I believe the metro population was around 1.8 mill., now it's 4.5. I'm on the road everyday and getting tired of the traffic.

Reactions: The Zarn

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why on earth would his religion have anything to do with an interest in AZ. This belief of yours that Arizona is a tolerant state is just bananas.

I meant that more along the lines of some people who are more religious may seek out that space. As an example, prior to moving to Arizona, I had no idea how large of a Mormon population there was. Mesa, in particular. If I recall, a lot of Jewish families are in the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area.

I wasn't necessarily selling Arizona as a more or less tolerant place. But what I was selling Arizona on is that there are certain areas of the Phoenix area that can almost capture your interest from a faith-based perspective. When Mathieu Schneider was traded here (if it were as a long-term pickup), he has the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area to find a temple and more than likely, a home. I don't know of many Mormon hockey players, but they could be in a similar upscale community in the Mesa area, surrounded by a bond of religion.

Some people may like and prefer to live in a location where they are around like families. Imagine being a certain background trying to live in Vegas. May not be overly appealing because of the debauchery levels.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It’s my favourite city in Western Canada.

I have never been to Saskatoon but I've met a crap-ton of people from there and they've all been uniformly wonderful people, so whatever that city is doing to raise its citizenry, they're doing it right.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I meant that more along the lines of some people who are more religious may seek out that space. As an example, prior to moving to Arizona, I had no idea how large of a Mormon population there was. Mesa, in particular. If I recall, a lot of Jewish families are in the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area.

I wasn't necessarily selling Arizona as a more or less tolerant place. But what I was selling Arizona on is that there are certain areas of the Phoenix area that can almost capture your interest from a faith-based perspective. When Mathieu Schneider was traded here (if it were as a long-term pickup), he has the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area to find a temple and more than likely, a home. I don't know of many Mormon hockey players, but they could be in a similar upscale community in the Mesa area, surrounded by a bond of religion.

Some people may like and prefer to live in a location where they are around like families. Imagine being a certain background trying to live in Vegas. May not be overly appealing because of the debauchery levels.
Oh my goodness. There are no ghettos here. All religions are spread throughout the valley. No different than anywhere else in the Southwest.

Reactions: Vip

Dirty Old Man

Old but not really dirty
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I’m a fat man who enjoys comfort. I was thinking maybe Denver.

I laughed at this, because this couple that lived across the courtyard from me for 7 years, fun couple, kinda chunky, big time into food, wine, and scotch, just moved from Arizona after 25 years. To Denver.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m a fat man who enjoys comfort. I was thinking maybe Denver.
Denver is an absolute foodie paradise. I particularly enjoy the oddball restaurants. Linger is a restaurant located in an old mortuary building. Parker Garage is a restaurant in a converted car repair garage.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’m not that fat. I meant fat as a mentality. I’m 6’1 and I bounce between 200 and 215 throughout any given year. I get up to around 215 and I’m like, “damn, I’m fat. need to change my life”. Then I get down to about 200 and I’m like, “damn, I can do whatever the hell I want”. The cycle begins again. Haha.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Is this the new lounge?

Or is there anything more to discuss about Matt Duchene???

*finger on the button*
We only ever have four threads active on this forum anyway. Haha. There's so little traffic around here we might as well just have a single thread called "Thread for Coyotes fans to discuss things..."

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Oh my goodness. There are no ghettos here. All religions are spread throughout the valley. No different than anywhere else in the Southwest.

You have no idea though. Religion is one of those things that rarely ever gets brought up, but can be one of the most important facets in a decision on where to move/live. How much it plays a factor into Duchene's life could be a piece to the puzzle that has Arizona a little higher or lower than other locations.

Montreal is one of the locations that is looking at him, right? I am not suggesting that every church in Montreal is conducted in French, but if it is hard to find a chapel with English services given the schedules of hockey players, maybe that plays a part in the decision.

I do think that Arizona has some small advantages in that regard, the same way that someone may not be able to stand Toronto because you would get recognized everywhere, whereas other markets may provide peace and quiet.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm conflicted about signing Duchene. On one hand it would be great to be that team that can pull this kind of signing off and the team should be better immediately with him. On the other hand... huge UFA signings usually don't age well and committing that much money/cap to a player is a risk. Example: Still paying Ribeiro's buyout... and he wasn't even as big of a fish.

The fact no trade has to happen to get a player with his upside is a big bonus, though.

Admittedly, I haven't watched his play as close as I could. He did well in the playoffs and if he can consistently bring that... I'd feel good about it. But the way it went with COL and OTT make me wonder how successful he would be here.

Ultimately I'd have to believe that the Yotes have done their homework on this and if they sign him, I'll be excited and hope for the best. If they don't, I hope the Yotes can find the upgrades they need at good prices.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad