TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I love them all

Wheeler is quietly my favourite player in the league. This despite what happened here.

Laine is 40+ goals per season for x number of years.

Ehlers has tremendous skill and upside. He’d be our best forward.

Conner - he’s the guy I wouldn’t have been opposed to taking in 2015 if we weren’t drafting at 3. He was a steal where WINNIPEG grabbed him.
I’m not interested in moving Dvorak.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I know he has a pretty young baby boy so contract length is going to be important to him. Most players that come here have nothing but good things to say about the quality of life in Phoenix. We have to hope that is enough to lure him to sign with us.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I guess you’re probably suggesting something like Dvorak and 14 for Ehlers. We need to add talent to the roster without subtracting tawny from the roster. I would NOT be interested in hockey trades if I was Chayka. Only futures for roster players.
I am trying to conjure up a WIN Win trade since I am a fan of both teams. To me, Connor would be a perfect player to add to the Coyotes forward core. Obviously Dvorak would be a player of interest IMO for the Jets. Not enough to land Connor (or Ehlers) though. I am intrigued by Hayton. Again, by himself I doubt Hayton can land a 2 x 30+ goal scorer like Connor.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I am trying to conjure up a WIN Win trade since I am a fan of both teams. To me, Connor would be a perfect player to add to the Coyotes forward core. Obviously Dvorak would be a player of interest IMO for the Jets. Not enough to land Connor (or Ehlers) though. I am intrigued by Hayton. Again, by himself I doubt Hayton can land a 2 x 30+ goal scorer like Connor.
I don’t think there’s a good fit. If 14 and/or POJ aren’t attractive as centerpieces or co-centerpieces, I’d look to find scoring from a different team, with different needs.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
(trying to see if I can stop cold turkey on coffee).

Used to drink about 7 coffees a day. Went cold turkey. First 5 days sucked. Now it’s 2 years in. Don’t miss it. Saved a bunch of money too.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I don’t think we have the pieces, short of doing something we don’t want to do like Keller, for any of those Winnipeg guys.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe it’s because of used to not having any good fortune as a AZ fan but my icy cold take is I’d rather have Hayes on a long-term deal than Duchene. Blast away! I’m also posting this before coffee (trying to see if I can stop cold turkey on coffee).
Duchene is a lower tier 1c, Hayes is a 2C at best right now. We have that in Stepan, and hopefully DVO, and with Hayton who knows but most are saying a 2C. All we are doing is shuffling the chairs. Duchene is going to cost much more than Hayes, and that is where the problem lies. If we sign Hayes he will be our 1C, but will it be enough. Who knows what scoring wingers are available where Chayka can swing a deal. Hayes and that winger might be better than just Duchene.

Reactions: Snarky Coyote

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wouldn't entertain a trade unless there was a steep discount. Maybe that can happen with Hoffman if FLA clears room for Panarin. Probably not tho. My preference is to try for a top 6 forward in UFA.

1) Panarin
2) Karlsson
3) Duchene
4) Lee
5) Hayes
6) Discounted roster trade
7) Do nothing
8) Roster trade
9) Trade futures for a player

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I doubt they trade Connor. Why should they? If they need cap relief it will be at the price of someone else.
There are some serious issues in Jets dressing room. Cliques not getting along. It’s a situation worth watching.

Reactions: Heldig

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is nuts. But I like Hayes and he’d make a great consolation prize.
There is no question Duchene is better than Hayes in a vacuum. It's the opportunity cost involced that makes me think Hayes is a better piece for us. He's perfect to sit between our tiny one-dimensional wingers, AND it leaves money to chase more offense.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I doubt they trade Connor. Why should they? If they need cap relief it will be at the price of someone else.
No one asked if they should trade him, they simply asked which one would you prefer. But in reality they have to move someone and the return will be crucial to their future as well.

Reactions: Heldig

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is no question Duchene is better than Hayes in a vacuum. It's the opportunity cost involced that makes me think Hayes is a better piece for us. He's perfect to sit between our tiny one-dimensional wingers, AND it leaves money to chase more offense.
The problem with Hayes is that you are spending plenty of money and you still need a number one center. When or if you ever get that number one Hayes will not be worth his contract as a number 3 when he gets passed by a couple of our kids.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not convinced we have two kids due to pass him in the system or on the roster.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hayton projects along the same lines, and Dvo has a career best season of 37 points at .47ppg. Probably tops out as a 45-50 pt guy.
Having several of these type of guys is fine. Makes you deep.

Even if Hayton explodes for 60+ pts at C this season (he won't), you'd have Hayton, Hayes/Dvo, for the next several seasons locked in. No one currently in the system is pushing those guys out. You could add Hayes AND Kadri, AND assume Hayton is a 1C, and you still just have to shift Dvo (or Hayes or Kadri) to wing to "fix" the "problem".

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hayton projects along the same lines, and Dvo has a career best season of 37 points at .47ppg. Probably tops out as a 45-50 pt guy.
Having several of these type of guys is fine. Makes you deep.

Even if Hayton explodes for 60+ pts at C this season (he won't), you'd have Hayton, Hayes/Dvo, for the next several seasons locked in. No one currently in the system is pushing those guys out. You could add Hayes AND Kadri, AND assume Hayton is a 1C, and you still just have to shift Dvo (or Hayes or Kadri) to wing to "fix" the "problem".
Cap doesn't really allow for that kind of money on the 3rd line though, unless you plan to take it from elsewhere. That's why I don't think Hayes works, he will possibly never be worth his contract.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The prom analogy might work if the NHL hadn't changed the rules to allow a window for teams to court the upcoming UFAs.

By the end of June Duchene will know exactly what his options are. He'll know who's offering how much and for how long. He won't have to worry about being left without a good dance partner if he turns down an offer. I don't see the benefit of trading for his rights.

It still is a bird in hand sort of thing. If you like the first place that you visit, how tempted do you become to look at other offers?

If we are one of the first 2-3 teams that have the player in town, the opportunity is the greater selling point. If it is clear that Arizona is a place that you could find yourself in as a player, don't be the 6th or 7th team that gets the visit, because it is very likely that the player's decision is known in the first 2 or 3 visits.

Mind you, I have actually been in the process of changing jobs since the start of 2019. I looked up some positions elsewhere, dusted the resume off, and began applying heavily around mid-January. Didn't feel like I was benefiting in my position at all any more. I left my job before having a firm offer in hand, and recently started a new job. In the end, I had a few companies that I had to say, "Thanks, but I have to cancel this upcoming interview as a result." I guess that my logic is that there may have been nothing wrong with these other companies, and maybe they were capable of offering more services, money, benefits, etc. But because they weren't first to the table, they would never get that opportunity.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's taken from Hayton's EL C the next three (maybe four if he goes back) years, and Dvo at ~4.5 is fine in the middle six. Hayes looks pricey in the last 2 yrs, but who knows what we look like then or where the cap is.

We'd have Stepan, Hayes, Dvo, Richardson, Hayton under contract at C.

$6.5M
+~$6.5M
+$4.45M
+$1M

$20M for five centers is fine for the next two years.

Leafs have that tied up in just their two top centers right now.
I
Richardson drops off next year. Stepan the next.

After yr 2 (2021-22) you're down to Dvo, Hayes, Hayton with $14M for a year (or two). Then Hayton gets a raise, but Dvo is locked in until 2024-25, and Hayes the same.

Doesn't look bad to me in the slightest. Still lots of flexibility to add players or shift people to wing.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's taken from Hayton's EL C the next three (maybe four if he goes back) years, and Dvo at ~4.5 is fine in the middle six. Hayes looks pricey in the last 2 yrs, but who knows what we look like then or where the cap is.

$6.5M
+~$6.5M
+$4.45M
+$1M

I

After yr 2 (2021-22) you're down to Dvo, Hayes, Hayton with $14M for a year (or two). Then Hayton gets a raise, but Dvo is locked in until 2024-25, and Hayes the same.

Doesn't look bad to me in the slightest. Still lots of flexibility to add players or shift people to wing.
The Leafs have 2 number one centers though and a good number 2 playing 3rd. The Coyotes would be paying that money and having a number 2 at best. That is the problem imo.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It still is a bird in hand sort of thing. If you like the first place that you visit, how tempted do you become to look at other offers?

If we are one of the first 2-3 teams that have the player in town, the opportunity is the greater selling point. If it is clear that Arizona is a place that you could find yourself in as a player, don't be the 6th or 7th team that gets the visit, because it is very likely that the player's decision is known in the first 2 or 3 visits.

Mind you, I have actually been in the process of changing jobs since the start of 2019. I looked up some positions elsewhere, dusted the resume off, and began applying heavily around mid-January. Didn't feel like I was benefiting in my position at all any more. I left my job before having a firm offer in hand, and recently started a new job. In the end, I had a few companies that I had to say, "Thanks, but I have to cancel this upcoming interview as a result." I guess that my logic is that there may have been nothing wrong with these other companies, and maybe they were capable of offering more services, money, benefits, etc. But because they weren't first to the table, they would never get that opportunity.
Same difference as the first analogy. If you were guaranteed to have time to interview with each company and wait for all offers before deciding then it would be comparable to the NHL.

Congrats on the new job btw.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

$6.5M
+~$6.5M
+$4.45M
+$1M

I

I hope we have so many legit C's some day that one has to play wing. Duchene would be our first legit 1C since JR, I would pursue him even though the cost will be high. Duchene will make any wings that play with him better, our other weakness.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The new guy coming should and Dvorak might. But no guarantees.
Kyle Connor 2x 30+ goal scorer is 22 years old. He has easily outscored any player on the Coyotes and I do not see any player or prospect likely to outscore him (goals) in the next few years. He fits the primary need of the Coyotes - a goal scorer.
2017-18Winnipeg JetsNHL763126571681737102
2018-19Winnipeg JetsNHL8234326618-763250
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Kyle Connor 2x 30+ goal scorer is 22 years old. He has easily outscored any player on the Coyotes and I do not see any player or prospect likely to outscore him (goals) in the next few years. He fits the primary need of the Coyotes - a goal scorer.
2017-18Winnipeg JetsNHL763126571681737102
2018-19Winnipeg JetsNHL8234326618-763250
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like Connor but I'm not sure he repeats that in AZ with current roster of centers. And my post was in reference to Hayes ftr

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Hayes is like a dozen other players we’ve had in the last 8 years. Duchene is like no other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad