TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Have always wanted Duschene, but if the money is too stupid, Hayes would look great between Schmaltz and Keller. Hayes may actually be the more intelligent move, when dollars are considered.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would love to add Connor, but doubt he is available.

That being said, this would be a scenario where I would include Dvorak in the deal.

Dvorak, #14, Connauton, and #76 for Connor and a 2020 5th round pick. I bet that there would be an ask for more or Arizona taking a bad contract off of Winnipeg's hands, which could limit the deal.

Leaves us the option of keeping Hayton up with Dvorak gone. Many ways around that. Deal Fischer to Vegas for Eakin and a 3rd round pick (#86). Deal Cousins to Montreal for Stapley (college player) and #119

Out via trade: Dvorak, Connauton, Fischer, Cousins, #14, #76

In via trade: Connor, Eakin, Stapley (reserve list for signing), #86, #119, and a WPG 2020 5th round pick

Sign Johansson to a 4 year, $23 M deal. Sign Connor to a 7 year, $45.5 M extension.

Galchenyuk-Schmaltz-Keller
Connor-Stepan-Johansson
Grabner-Eakin-Garland
Crouse-Richardson-Hinostroza
Hayton

OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Oesterle
Lyubushkin

That would put our cap hit at $81.5 M. We could move Johansson to 3rd line C and nix the deal for Eakin. That would bring cap down to $78.6 M, and provide a different opportunity to add a bad deal from Winnipeg if the value in a Connor deal is not there. If the value is good, we can browse around for a decent wing in the $1.0-$3.5 M range. Connolly, Tanev, Panik, or re-signing Archibald could fit that bill.

Galchenyuk-Schmaltz-Keller
Connor-Stepan-Hinostroza
Crouse-Johansson-Tanev
Grabner-Richardson-Garland
Hayton-Fischer

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When is the cap ceiling for next season announced?

How much does Lawson Crouse get on an extension?

Do the Coyotes start the season without Alex Galchenyuk signed to an extension?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Same difference as the first analogy. If you were guaranteed to have time to interview with each company and wait for all offers before deciding then it would be comparable to the NHL.

Congrats on the new job btw.

Thanks.

Maybe I am of the opinion that neither a player nor a team (or company) really wants to drag things out - even with the guaranteed time available to be able to visit. If you and your agent have a certain number of things on the list of acceptable items for that city, and you see all of those, there is no reason that you have to continue with visiting other teams. I just think that there is a significant advantage to being closer to the front of the pack of visits than the back end, regardless of time available.

I was actually going to ask this question, with regard to trading picks for UFA rights:

Do you think that the trading for RFA rights is done more often to a) get things figured out sooner between player and team acquiring them, or b) give the opportunity to meet with a player that would not have shown interest otherwise?

With a, if you are already aware of some sense of mutual interest, does it make sense to offer a pick for a visit that you know is going to happen? In my eyes, that comes into the advantage play of being the first in line - just so you don't miss out on the opportunity. Likewise, for b - with little understanding of the interest by the team in the player or the player in the city, having that first chance to show what the market is like would clear up misconceptions. If I recall, this was the case with Goligoski when we acquired his rights. I thought that he had mentioned how he would not have been aware of Arizona's interest level or his understanding of the Phoenix area without that trade coming through. All possible because teams are trying to be the first to sell their city, as opposed to letting other cities compound the player's brains with all of the qualities of their market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
When is the cap ceiling for next season announced?

How much does Lawson Crouse get on an extension?

Do the Coyotes start the season without Alex Galchenyuk signed to an extension?

Not sure.

2 years, $3.5 M total. I don't see anything above $2.0 M AAV unless we sign him long-term. As comparables, Reider had over 30 points the prior year and earned 2 years, $4.4 M. Blake Coleman went 3 years for $5.4 M after 25 points in 79 games. Joonas Doonskoi had 53 points in his first 137 games and went for 2 years, $3.8 M before the 17-18 season. I think we do one more bridge deal and then make a longer term offer (5 years, $19 M) once the bridge is done

Yes.

Reactions: Mosby

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The last time we had a number one center was Roenick. Duchene counts. Hayes doesn’t. Dvorak and Hayton likely won’t. These chances are so rare and so important.
Agreed, next to impossible to get one. Duchene is 15-25th amongst C's, he isn't a top 10 1C, but those are never available.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Agreed, next to impossible to get one. Duchene is 15-25th amongst C's, he isn't a top 10 1C, but those are never available.
Yeah he’s definitely a low end number one. I think he’s really overrated. I think he’ll get overpaid too. I want to be the team that overpays him. We need it so bad. And we can’t afford to lose the meager assets we have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope we have so many legit C's some day that one has to play wing. Duchene would be our first legit 1C since JR, I would pursue him even though the cost will be high. Duchene will make any wings that play with him better, our other weakness.
I said some time ago that this might be the year we have to go the UFA route and finally pay the piper for that 1C. It's going to hurt, but we are not giving up any assets which we have few of.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Have always wanted Duschene, but if the money is too stupid, Hayes would look great between Schmaltz and Keller. Hayes may actually be the more intelligent move, when dollars are considered.
Chayka wants Schmaltz as a C, or so he said. The money will be stupid but it might be stupid for Hayes also. I mean, do we pay 6.5 mill. for Hayes. or 9.5 mill. for Duchene? I guess it will depend what else is out there as far as wingers go.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah he’s definitely a low end number one. I think he’s really overrated. I think he’ll get overpaid too. I want to be the team that overpays him. We need it so bad. And we can’t afford to lose the meager assets we have.
Yes, but that's the type of thinking that got us Mike Ribeiro.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yes, but that's the type of thinking that got us Mike Ribeiro.
I don’t understand what that has to do with anything? :dunno:

Ribeiro’s contract was fine. He was an excellent center apart from being an alcoholic drug addict dealing with unbearable personal turmoil.

Are you worried that Duchene might start doing cocaine the nights before games and day drinking on game days? Do you think he’s going to sign here and end up high and drunk most of the season?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t understand what that has to do with anything? :dunno:

Ribeiro’s contract was fine. He was an excellent center apart from being an alcoholic drug addict dealing with unbearable personal turmoil.

Are you worried that Duchene might start doing cocaine the nights before games and day drinking on game days? Do you think he’s going to sign here and end up high and drunk most of the season?
Who do u think he is, Trouba?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Not the same type of thing, but I think there's a fear that signing a UFA 1C to a payday contract in AZ can lead to them going into semi-retirement mode or becoming distracted off the ice, rather than staying hungry and leading this club to the next level. Can you buy that type of thing or does it have to be homegrown?
Or can we somehow just wait until Matthews hits UFA to throw the big money at someone?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hayes is like a dozen other players we’ve had in the last 8 years. Duchene is like no other.
It really depends on the money. We haven't had even two legitimate centers in a long, long time. If you can ice Hayes, Stepan, Dvo, Richardson, Hayton at the same time and add a winger like Kessel, Zucker, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc, for the same money as just Duchene, then we also have actual depth in NHL players which we have not had in the last eight years either.I

Regardless, adding either helps hide the riff raff and push people down and out. I'd be thrilled to have either.

I'm not sure Duchene has the wingers to be successful here, but it's easier to get those than a C. He played mostly with Dzingel, Stone, Ryan, Landesgog, Anderson etc Either puckhounds with high skill or heavy guys.

On the flip side, we already have the wingers that need a Hayes, and could afford to add even more offense (assuming we have enough cash for Duchene).

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
^ yep, lotsa ways this could unfold. Will be interesting to see what happens - if anything happens at all.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Chayka wants Schmaltz as a C, or so he said. The money will be stupid but it might be stupid for Hayes also. I mean, do we pay 6.5 mill. for Hayes. or 9.5 mill. for Duchene? I guess it will depend what else is out there as far as wingers go.
i don't care where Chayka wants him and I don't think RT does either. The money will obviously dictate a lot of what may, or may not happen.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It really depends on the money. We haven't had even two legitimate centers in a long, long time. If you can ice Hayes, Stepan, Dvo, Richardson, Hayton at the same time and add a winger like Kessel, Zucker, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc, for the same money as just Duchene, then we also have actual depth in NHL players which we have not had in the last eight years either.I

Regardless, adding either helps hide the riff raff and push people down and out. I'd be thrilled to have either.

I'm not sure Duchene has the wingers to be successful here, but it's easier to get those than a C. He played mostly with Dzingel, Stone, Ryan, Landesgog, Anderson etc Either puckhounds with high skill or heavy guys.

On the flip side, we already have the wingers that need a Hayes, and could afford to add even more offense (assuming we have enough cash for Duchene).
Sign Duchene, trade Stepan for Zucker.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Then you're down to Duchene, Dvo, Richardson, Hayton/Cousins as your centers... Which is better than today, but still not good enough to create matchup problems.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This is nuts. Obviously signing Duchene and pushing all of the other centers down a line would be absolutely magical for production top to bottom. Stop arguing the merits. It’s absurd. This is very clearly merited. Clear as damn day. If anyone wants to be pessimistic, please do so about the very narrow odds that we get Duchene, rather than the impact it would have. That’s the difference between reason and insanity.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Sign Duchene, trade Stepan for Zucker.
That one thing we could try. Another thing we could try would be to keep Duchene and Stepan and Dvorak and are what having a decent center group for the first time ever looks like. Especially added to a decent D group and a decent G tandem. All at the same time. Let just do that for the first time in a quarter century and see what happens. Maybe it’ll be good. For once.

Back in reality, however, we’re likely to lose out on top C and should focus on the consolation prize that would be a top W. That’s very likely the best we can hope for, in actual reality.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That one thing we could try. Another thing we could try would be to keep Duchene and Stepan and Dvorak and are what having a decent center group for the first time ever looks like. Especially added to a decent D group and a decent G tandem. All at the same time. Let just do that for the first time in a quarter century and see what happens. Maybe it’ll be good. For once.

Back in reality, however, we’re likely to lose out on top C and should focus on the consolation prize that would be a top W. That’s very likely the best we can hope for, in actual reality.
Yeah I don't think it's worth debating if it's better to get Hayes or Duchene, if we get either we should be ecstatic because it means: A we have money to spend, and B big name ufas actually want to come here. If either guy signs I won't waste one second wishing it was the other.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Nobody is against signing Duchene. The question was posed about whether Hayes and a bunch of saved money (that we would presumably use) might not be better for us. I think depending on the numbers, that is very possible. I would be thrilled to add either. So would all the sane people on the board.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then you're down to Duchene, Dvo, Richardson, Hayton/Cousins as your centers... Which is better than today, but still not good enough to create matchup problems.
Duchene will eat up most if not all of Stepan's PP time, and DVO can eat up more PK time as well. Chucky can play C in a pinch, and the way it sounds they want to try Schmaltz at C.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Nobody is against signing Duchene. The question was posed about whether Hayes and a bunch of saved money (that we would presumably use) might not be better for us. I think depending on the numbers, that is very possible. I would be thrilled to add either. So would all the sane people on the board.
I’d be thrilled to add either. Always better to have a 1C first and worry about the rest later. Always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad