TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I still don't see all this cap-space you are talking about. Does handing out qualifying offers bind cap-space? Until Hossa has been to the doctors, the cap he is signed for, can't be used. And until Goligoski is traded, if that is the plan, his cap-space can't be used, either.

$ 8,615,557 is the current cap-space according to capfriendly, and that is with several RFAs in need of contracts.
You can be 10% over the Cap during the off season but must be Cap compliant before season starts.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I’m not sure there should be a large market for early negotiation rights. I think he’s going to do a JT. Not going to talk until the 23rd. Will PJ all over the map. It’ll be a big show and rumors and stories will fly all over the place. Ultimately, he’ll announce his big decision on July 1st.

The only reason I’d want to acquire his rights is to learn whether he’d consider us before the draft rolls around (June 21). If he rules us out before then, we can focus on other deals to improve.

I’d hate to pass up on deals for good players at the draft because Chayka is too busy hoping and praying for Duchene.

I don't know. I'm not sure I really see Duchene making a show of it like Tavares and Stamkos. Maybe that's just because the Leafs aren't involved.

Last edited:

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If I'm Duchene's agent, I'm using Couture as the comparable.

Couture is 30. Duchene is 28. Couture signed an 8-year, 64 mil (8 mil AAV) extension when he was 29.

Couture has 9.5 seasons in the league. Duchene has 10. Couture has 663 career games to Duchene's 727.

Couture has 4 seasons over 60 points, including last year. Duchene has 3 seasons over 60 points, including last year.

Couture has scored 20 or more goals 8 times. Duchene has done so 7 times.

With only a year passing since Couture signed, I don't think there will be much, if any, inflation. Plus as Duchene can only sign for a maximum 7 years, to give him the same 64 million, it comes out to a 9.14 million cap hit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oh it’s ALWAYS about the grandpas with you isn’t it Jake?!?!? :sarcasm:

Sorry. Couldn’t stop myself. :)
Yup.:) So respect your elders. Happy wife happy life. Have you figured that one out yet?:laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I still don't see all this cap-space you are talking about. Does handing out qualifying offers bind cap-space? Until Hossa has been to the doctors, the cap he is signed for, can't be used. And until Goligoski is traded, if that is the plan, his cap-space can't be used, either.

$ 8,615,557 is the current cap-space according to capfriendly, and that is with several RFAs in need of contracts.
I have been worried about our cap for awhile now and everyone laughed at me.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not sure how I feel about this report. I'm by nature pessimistic about new ownership prospects, given our history and given the NHL's puppet strings behind the scenes. And we've been fooled before about getting new ownership with deep pockets.

That said...

Dreger is widely acknowledged to be a de facto media mouthpiece for the NHL. So if he's leaking word of AZ interest in Duchene and about new ownership capital, it's a fair bet that the league wants that to get out in some way, shape, or form.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Rumours of a cash infusion should keep the wolves at bay on targeting Crouse for an offer sheet.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
For reference on Goligoski's rights in 2016:

June 12 - Penguins win Cup
June 16 - Goligoski's rights traded to AZ
June 22 - Goligoski signs with AZ
June 24 and 25 - NHL Draft
June 25 - UFA interview period opens

So Chayka got his work done before the draft and only waited 4 days until after the Cup was awarded to make the initial move.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know. I'm not sure I really see Duchene making a show of it like Tavares and Stamkos. Maybe that's just because the Leafs aren't involved.
Or the difference between 20 to 30 points per year. And possibly the fact that Duchene has been available for a couple years.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I have been on the fence prior to this season but I have really liked what I have seen of Duchene this year in two very opposite environments.

I have been very impressed by his playoffs too, very active and mainly dominant against one of the best regular season teams in history and possible Stanley Cup champ. Physical, smart, driving to the net and making things happen.

So if there is a chance of him coming here, sign me up.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Why would Duchene not sign with the BLue Jackets again vs the Coyotes? The Jackets are way ahead of the Coyotes in reaching the Cup.
Will Duchene go back home to Montreal? There's a chance at that. Otherwise I would put the Coyotes chances at about 0.1 percent. No way he goes to the armpit of the NHL.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Will the Jackets even make the playoffs next year assuming what they're going to lose in a few weeks? I wouldn't call Montreal home for Duchene either, unless you consider "Canada wide" his hometown. He's from Ontario.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If I'm Duchene's agent, I'm using Couture as the comparable.

Couture is 30. Duchene is 28. Couture signed an 8-year, 64 mil (8 mil AAV) extension when he was 29.

Couture has 9.5 seasons in the league. Duchene has 10. Couture has 663 career games to Duchene's 727.

Couture has 4 seasons over 60 points, including last year. Duchene has 3 seasons over 60 points, including last year.

Couture has scored 20 or more goals 8 times. Duchene has done so 7 times.

With only a year passing since Couture signed, I don't think there will be much, if any, inflation. Plus as Duchene can only sign for a maximum 7 years, to give him the same 64 million, it comes out to a 9.14 million cap hit.
Couture wasn't on the open market. Add 10-20%

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Unfortunately I think the Mark Stone contract might be part of the equation for Duchene now. Don't think Duchene and his agent will be happy making less than a winger who's only a year younger with pretty similar production.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
No, no. 10-20% above your projected Duchene number. Not The Couture number.

Duchene isn’t getting one penny less than 70 million dollars.

I’m really not sure I see Duchene cracking 10 mil. He’s not worth it and I don’t think there are enough bidders or bidders with cap space to make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad