TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I have a strong preference for the UFA market over the trade market. I like Duchene's style of play and think he'd be a good fit here. I'm apprehensive of the contract size and length, though I think Chayka has done well with contracts. I'm excited about this news.

Keller - Duchene - Schmaltz
Gally - Dvorak - Garland
Crouse - Stepan - Fischer
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza
Cousins

This is a much better lineup and far more realistic to what it would likely be with Duchene. I don't see Hayton being on the fourth, nor should he be. Definitely don't see Dvo centering the fourth. Say we add Duchene, we still need a winger that can just put the puck in the nut. I don't give a shit how one dimensional they are. Fischer has been a huge let down for me as I had high hopes for him. He has everything you could want for a power forward, though they do generally take a while to develop.

If they do bring Hayton up and put him on wing to start, he still is more of a creator than a finisher, which we already have too many of.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Duchene has said from the start and again on Spittin Chicklets this week the primary piece in his decision next month will be hockey. He wants to go to a team that shows a great chance of winning. I like where we are heading but I don't see how the Coyotes can check that box off??

We barely missed the playoffs with a depleted lineup. If we had stayed healthy last year we very likely make the playoffs. It isn't a hard sell at all. Does that mean he'll choose them, no. But they have every bit of a chance as Montreal if your metric is simply the "hockey" of the team.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I listened to the Spittin’ Chiclets interview. I think maybe people didn’t listen close enough. He said that he wanted a team where he thought he could win. He then immediately said that nowadays every two seasons that list changes. He mentioned right after that he was looking for 7-8 years.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
My guess is E. Karlsson signs with Montreal and Nashville can't squeeze Duchene in to stay under the cap. I'd hate to see us lose #14, Dvorak, Hayton or POJ to sign Kessel or Zucker. I don't even want to part with Fischer. $10 million is so steep and two months ago I'd say no way but I'm starting to see a bigger picture about what Duchene could bring to the organization. Duchene along with Keller, Galchenyuk, Schmaltz and next years Hayton and we start to look vastly different than we have in recent years.
If I'm Chayka I risk it all and sign Matt Duchene and roll the dice on Kaliyev if Krebs, Zegras and Boldy are gone.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
We barely missed the playoffs with a depleted lineup. If we had stayed healthy last year we very likely make the playoffs. It isn't a hard sell at all. Does that mean he'll choose them, no. But they have every bit of a chance as Montreal if your metric is simply the "hockey" of the team.
And if our goalie plays like his career we finish bottom 2 or 3, it's and butts mean nothing.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Get our #1 center without losing any assets
In 1year he'll be back in the Central
He would be a worthy replacement for Panic
But I still wouldn't trade Yandle for Duchene

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I only see Nashville as a potentially more appealing option and there are cap issues there.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Coyotes finally get money and Duchene gets an obscene amount of it? Ho hum.

Duchene is a fantastic talent, but he is not someone I'd sign desperation/beggars can't be choosers or not.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I only see Nashville as a potentially more appealing option and there are cap issues there.

To expand on this:

Rebuilding - Anaheim Detroit LA NJ NYR Ottawa Vancouver

Yes - Arizona Carolina Dallas Minnesota Montreal Nashville NYI Winnipeg

No need - Boston Buffalo Calgary Chicago Edmonton Florida Philadelphia Pittsburgh STL Tampa Toronto Washington

No cap space - Vegas

Not happening - Colorado

Kind of a rough outline. Of the teams in the ‘yes’ column, Minnesota is kinda directionless, Montreal is cold and French and heavily taxed and already has a good group of centres and has a bigger need at LD, Nashville has cap issue, Islanders arena is a travelling circus, and Winnipeg may be capped out.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
What about the New York Rangers? Or New York Islanders? New Jersey Devils? Montreal Canadiens?

Vancouver Canucks? San Jose has some flexibility and a short window remaining. Florida might decide not to go Russia with Love and Duchene could be a very attractive addition there, too.

I’m reaching a bit now, but seems there are great options. Hell, even Columbus.

What makes Arizona more attractive?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Missed San Jose in my post. They’re probably in the yes column but have more serious cap challenges than Nashville.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Don’t see a way we could realistically make this work. What can we offer him, that a more attractive franchise couldn’t? Financially or competitively speaking.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Missed San Jose in my post. They’re probably in the yes column but have more serious cap challenges than Nashville.

Also missed Carolina who fits the country rock lifestyle Duchene is apparently craving and could use more scoring.

I also remember the Vancouver owner saying they are not rebuilding so I could see them in on Duchene. 1-2 punch of Duchene and Petersson is pretty appealing.

Regardless I still think we are in the top 5 options which is not something I'd post three days ago.

My guess is MON, NASH, LUMBUS, AZ, NYI, VAN as the top contenders.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Carolina is in the yes column though they’re difficult to gauge with their wacko bird owner. Is he too cheap for Duchene? It sounds like they’re gearing up for a helluva negotiation with Aho too. Plus they’re infatuated with a Toronto forward.

Only thing I’ve heard about Vancouver is D, whether that is Subban or Karlsson. Also Lucic.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I listened to the Spittin’ Chiclets interview. I think maybe people didn’t listen close enough. He said that he wanted a team where he thought he could win. He then immediately said that nowadays every two seasons that list changes. He mentioned right after that he was looking for 7-8 years.
He also says that the country music part isn't huge thing for him, just kind of a nice side thing to have.

He also said probably his second biggest reason for signing in a particular destination is his family and kids. He's moved from Colorado to Ottawa to Columbus in the last couple years and he's talked about how his kid doesn't really have a home as of now. I'd guess that Arizona would be a fairly nice destination for those things.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He also says that the country music part isn't huge thing for him, just kind of a nice side thing to have.

He also said probably his second biggest reason for signing in a particular destination is his family and kids. He's moved from Colorado to Ottawa to Columbus in the last couple years and he's talked about how his kid doesn't really have a home as of now. I'd guess that Arizona would be a fairly nice destination for those things.
I think basically every major metropolitan area with an NHL team is a great place to raise a family if you have 70 million dollars. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Someone said his wife is from Colorado. Kids close to Grandparents.

I think basically every major metropolitan area with an NHL team is a great place to raise a family if you have 70 million dollars. :)
True, but the more you have, the more you want. The Coyotes situation has much going for it if we get a new owner. I mean that not only for Duchene but other players as well.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Someone said his wife is from Colorado. Kids close to Grandparents.

True, but the more you have, the more you want. The Coyotes situation has much going for it if we get a new owner. I mean that not only for Duchene but other players as well.
Oh it’s ALWAYS about the grandpas with you isn’t it Jake?!?!? :sarcasm:

Sorry. Couldn’t stop myself. :)

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
FWIW the interview period opens June 23. I wonder if CBJ has a drop dead date where they'd move his rights.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
FWIW the interview period opens June 23. I wonder if CBJ has a drop dead date where they'd move his rights.
I’m not sure there should be a large market for early negotiation rights. I think he’s going to do a JT. Not going to talk until the 23rd. Will PJ all over the map. It’ll be a big show and rumors and stories will fly all over the place. Ultimately, he’ll announce his big decision on July 1st.

The only reason I’d want to acquire his rights is to learn whether he’d consider us before the draft rolls around (June 21). If he rules us out before then, we can focus on other deals to improve.

I’d hate to pass up on deals for good players at the draft because Chayka is too busy hoping and praying for Duchene.

Reactions: OT OEL

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I still don't see all this cap-space you are talking about. Does handing out qualifying offers bind cap-space? Until Hossa has been to the doctors, the cap he is signed for, can't be used. And until Goligoski is traded, if that is the plan, his cap-space can't be used, either.

$ 8,615,557 is the current cap-space according to capfriendly, and that is with several RFAs in need of contracts.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad