Proposal: Coyotes Need an Average Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think they need a team first. Hutton isn't a good goalie, so you can't expect him to help this team be even ok.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Having a good goalie(at least at the start of the season) ended up costing you guys Eichel back in 2015. This time the Coyotes are doing tanking the Wright way!

With the lottery there is no way to guarantee who you get, as they could go 0-82 and be -452, and still pick 2nd or 3rd worst. Wings finished worst by a landslide 2 years ago and we drafted 4th overall.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Greiss
Wallinder
Avs 4th 2022

For

Kessel(@50%)
Hutton

Interesting or no? I'm ok either way rt.

Why would we give up a prospect for a vet like Kessel and a much worse goalie in Hutton, plus giving up a 4th? Makes no sense for the Wings to do anything like this.

Reactions: Elvs

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
With the lottery there is no way to guarantee who you get, as they could go 0-82 and be -452, and still pick 2nd or 3rd worst. Wings finished worst by a landslide 2 years ago and we drafted 4th overall.
Yes, I get that. Who would be more well-versed on draft lotteries than an Oilers fan lol. But did you see who got Eichel? Arizona finished 2 points ahead of Buffalo. Like I said in my post, good goaltending in Dubnyk cost them in the end.(ignoring the whole butterfly effect yada yada).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don’t think we can retain on Schmaltz. OEL retention is long-term. Can’t have 2/3 spots spoken for already for the next half decade.

I would do Schmaltz and Korenar for Rooney and Georgiev, though. If the Rangers were into it.

You can retain on up to 3 per season is what I thought the rule was.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, I get that. Who would be more well-versed on draft lotteries than an Oilers fan lol. But did you see who got Eichel? Arizona finished 2 points ahead of Buffalo. Like I said in my post, good goaltending in Dubnyk cost them in the end.(ignoring the whole butterfly effect yada yada).

Pretty hard to outtank the outtankers though. Buffalo traded goalies that year cause they were playing too well, there is just no way to out lose that.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Pretty hard to outtank the outtankers though. Buffalo traded goalies that year cause they were playing too well, there is just no way to out lose that.
Buffalo may have prevailed last time but this Toilet Bowl rematch will be epic! Of course they'll probably both end up losers since there's no outstanding consolation prize anyway and teams can drop more than one spot regardless, unlike 2015.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Buffalo may have prevailed last time but this Toilet Bowl rematch will be epic! Of course they'll probably both end up losers since there's no outstanding consolation prize anyway and teams can drop more than one spot regardless, unlike 2015.

Yeah, tanking this year and not getting Wright will suck. Although getting Eichel hasn't exactly been great for Buffalo either. Having watched the Wings drop in every lottery they have been in, has convinced me it isn't worth just playing for last place or last couple of places. First you have to sit through agonizing hockey, and then if you lose in the lottery you are left wondering what losing all those games was for.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Barrett Hayton, Clayton Keller

Vs.

Brannstrom, Forsberg, 2023 1rst rounder, Colin White, 2nd 2021

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Subban and Delia hit the waiver wire earlier in the season for the Blackhawks. Pretty sure you could get either of those two for pennies. They're not great either but should be better than the remains of Carter Hutton

Later in the season i think Khudobin should be available from the Stars. Don't think they want to have Oettinger in the AHL the whole season .

He's under contract for this and next year so not sure the Yotes are interested in that.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Are Arizona fans worried about turning into Buffalo with the rot of losing seeping into the foundation of the locker room?
Chychrun, Keller, and Schmaltz certainly aren't a cup winner's core, but you'd have to hope that they can provide some cushion and leadership for upcoming prospects. Will they be able to step up?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Are Arizona fans worried about turning into Buffalo with the rot of losing seeping into the foundation of the locker room?
Chychrun, Keller, and Schmaltz certainly aren't a cup winner's core, but you'd have to hope that they can provide some cushion and leadership for upcoming prospects. Will they be able to step up?
Exactly right.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Why would we give up a prospect for a vet like Kessel and a much worse goalie in Hutton, plus giving up a 4th? Makes no sense for the Wings to do anything like this.

Retain on Kessel, get a 1st plus something at the deadline.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Korenar + Coyotes '22 3rd for Georgiev

no.
I'll take a lesser 2nd ['nucks? Isles?]
while taking Hutton off your hands

for

Geo + I throw in Kinaid for free

rangers buy out/release whatev Hutton, promote Huska to back up Shesty, give Wall max mins in the A

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’d do Georgiev for Kessel retained absolutely
Yotes should have been trying to acquire Georgiev since summer. He’s a perfect option for them to weather to storm, and young enough for the Yotes to evaluate if he’s part of their future after a heavier work load.
I honestly thought he would have been part of a Dvorak package.
I’m not sure what I’d want from ARI in return. I like Crouse, but they prob rather keep him. Plus I don’t think he’d beat out Hunt for the last 4th line wing gig anyway.
I don’t know. Maybe a draft pick??
Rangers really don’t have any holes in their line up currently.
Maybe ARI sends over 1 of their many 2nd rounders (lower/lowest) for Georgie+ a small add???
I would say the Yotes might have interest in Gauthier, giving him a true top 9 look all year??

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Vasilevsky wouldn’t have improved the Coyotes record over the first four games. I’m not looking for, and not expecting an improved record. I’m merely looking to cut the per game goal differential from 3.5 to around 2.0. :)

this is a wild misunderstanding of hockey, goalies, and basic math. Decreasing your goals against AVERAGE would result in more wins. You can’t just take the improved (but still bad) average you’d have at the end of the year and pretend that’s the bad amount of goals against you gave up every night

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
this is a wild misunderstanding of hockey, goalies, and basic math. Decreasing your goals against AVERAGE would result in more wins. You can’t just take the improved (but still bad) average you’d have at the end of the year and pretend that’s the bad amount of goals against you gave up every night
:facepalm: I simply didn’t think I would be forced to spell this out and took for granted that people would understand a fairly obvious concept. And I’m not going to bother now. What astoundingly asinine turn. It doesn’t happen often, but I’ve actually become annoyed by a post. Lol. Time for a break.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

...and the bad goals is what to avoid. Get a guy that can make 35 saves a night, team still loses. But what that goalie does is give a team some confidence that every mistake they make, doesn't end up in the net.

Very helpful for player development. MO.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
:facepalm: I simply didn’t think I would be forced to spell this out and took for granted that people would understand a fairly obvious concept. And I’m not going to bother now. What astoundingly asinine turn. It doesn’t happen often, but I’ve actually become annoyed by a post. Lol. Time for a break.

See, I know what you're talking about. You're saying that if you're losing every game 5-1, the guys on your team are going to just throw up their hands and quit too... where if you add a goalie who is better than Carter Hutton and you can keep those losses to like 2-1 for most of the game or 3-2 or whatever... that's massive for the development of guys who might actually have talent on your roster.

You're the one with the crazy misunderstanding. Basically, Arizona is going to get clapped in pretty much every game. So, if you add an average goalie to them, they're still going to lose, but it'll just be a one goal loss instead of a blowout.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
See, I know what you're talking about. You're saying that if you're losing every game 5-1, the guys on your team are going to just throw up their hands and quit too... where if you add a goalie who is better than Carter Hutton and you can keep those losses to like 2-1 for most of the game or 3-2 or whatever... that's massive for the development of guys who might actually have talent on your roster.

You're the one with the crazy misunderstanding. Basically, Arizona is going to get clapped in pretty much every game. So, if you add an average goalie to them, they're still going to lose, but it'll just be a one goal loss instead of a blowout.
Yeah, I was being a prick. Bad moment. Sorry.

Basically, the Coyotes will be the 32nd ranked team regardless of whether they finish with 52 points or 62 points. It won’t matter. So if superior goaltending nets them 10 more points, it’s still irrelevant to the tank as they’ll be dead last anyhow. Except by 6 points instead of 16 points. And the mountains of losses they do pile up will be closer in scoring than otherwise. Which is the main point.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, I was being a prick. Bad moment. Sorry.

Basically, the Coyotes will be the 32nd ranked team regardless of whether they finish with 52 points or 62 points. It won’t matter. So if superior goaltending nets them 10 more points, it’s still irrelevant to the tank as they’ll be dead last anyhow. Except by 6 points instead of 16 points. And the mountains of losses they do pile up will be closer in scoring than otherwise. Which is the main point.

I’m on the same side as you. This is what Detroit did when they nosedived. You have to at least try to compete in games. This is what the “grr I want to tank” people forget. You burn it all to the ground for picks and you’re the Buffalo Sabres and even when you add supreme talent, they all want to leave just as soon as possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad