OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
On CNBC the head of the farming board in california said that food shortages are a real threat since they will have difficulty getting farm workers. Especially with the mexico border shutdown. And he said the better resolve this mess soon. Unless the unemoloyed would want to work on farms. Its better than sitting at home.

On another note Amazon is hiring a lot of workers, as well as grocery chains, pizza takeout and walmart. Papa Johns Ceo said they are hiring like crazy now.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Hey remember when our big worries were overpaid players, a inexperienced GM and an inconsistent goalie???

Yeah I'd like to go back to that.

Me too.

2 weeks ago there was a big argument about reclining your seat when flying.

I'd love to be able to book a flight somewhere now. I'd let the guy in front recline as far as he wanted...

Reactions: Brown Dog

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
doesn't take a genius to push gold, paper money isn't worth the paper it's printed on since the US took it off the gold standard, silver's tanking right now big time, if you wanna make some real money and have the $$$$, buy some silver bullion.

Have you attempted to buy some physical silver recently? There's no prices posted by any Canadian banks that I could find. I had to visit a bank to get any of the information the cost of silver through the bank. They work in US currency and take big premiums on buy/sell price versus the supposed market price of silver. It's made intentionally confusing but if you crunch the numbers you have to pay around 25 cents extra on the dollar to buy physical silver. I assume it's the same for gold. That means ~$1.25 for $1.00 of silver plus fees plus additional costs depending upon the desirability of the silver bar/coin source. So one's immediately in the hole at least 20% in the best case scenario (possibly 30% plus) and if you want to sell it back to the bank they buy it at 80 cents on the dollar plus fees. And I'm not talking about special Canadian Mint coins, I'm talking bars and basic Maple Leaf (not our favourite hockey team) silver coins.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
What are the chances that China is grossly under reporting their cases and deaths to quell some of the economic devastation they’re experiencing? They have everything to benefit from trying to get the market to stop tanking.

Chances of that are very high. We already know that Chinese citizens are (and have since January) been censored for speaking out about the severity of what's going on

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Have you attempted to buy some physical silver recently? There's no prices posted by any Canadian banks that I could find. I had to visit a bank to get any of the information the cost of silver through the bank. They work in US currency and take big premiums on buy/sell price versus the supposed market price of silver. It's made intentionally confusing but if you crunch the numbers you have to pay around 25 cents extra on the dollar to buy physical silver. I assume it's the same for gold. That means ~$1.25 for $1.00 of silver plus fees plus additional costs depending upon the desirability of the silver bar/coin source. So one's immediately in the hole at least 20% in the best case scenario (possibly 30% plus) and if you want to sell it back to the bank they buy it at 80 cents on the dollar plus fees. And I'm not talking about special Canadian Mint coins, I'm talking bars and basic Maple Leaf (not our favourite hockey team) silver coins.
yup, you have to pay a service charge to purchase, but physically having your gold/silver bullion is well worth it imo. If, and this is a big if the government seizes your money in the bank.....paying the aforementioned service charge will be money well spent. I have plenty of assent that could be taken from me, or if the market catastrophically collapses won't be worth anything so diversifying and having some assets that will hold value regardless of paper money being worthless is a prudent thing to do. For those who think this could never happen, talk to people in Greece.

As to availability, I purchased some gold bullion from a major bank yesterday with no issues, they couldn't promise a delivery date (7-10 estimate), but I got it at yesterday's value.

Last edited:

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Guys wouldnt it make sense to spend a few hundred dollars on grocery per trip though? Im watching whats going on around the world and they are limiting grocery stores to 50 people at once. That means massive line ups outside. I would rather go for groceries once a month over once a week than deal with the lines and price hikes. You are maximizing the amount of time saved as well.

Although there are no lineups near me, a friend's wife put together a 2-week menu and shopped for that. A good way of minimizing contacts and therefore transmissions.

I've probably got enough in the freezer for at least 2 weeks, just need to make a plan.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
On CNBC the head of the farming board in california said that food shortages are a real threat since they will have difficulty getting farm workers. Especially with the mexico border shutdown. And he said the better resolve this mess soon. Unless the unemoloyed would want to work on farms. Its better than sitting at home.

On another note Amazon is hiring a lot of workers, as well as grocery chains, pizza takeout and walmart. Papa Johns Ceo said they are hiring like crazy now.
If things get bad enough people might have fill in for the aforementioned migrant workers if they want government assistance?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
What are the chances that China is grossly under reporting their cases and deaths to quell some of the economic devastation they’re experiencing? They have everything to benefit from trying to get the market to stop tanking.

Zero. China is fully opened up to the WHO and other scientists. They could (and did) under report the official number stated at 80k, but they largely have this thing under wraps at the moment.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
So what's the over/under on when things go back to normal?

The new normal will be a little different and that's not all bad.

IMO this wave of crises will pass through in a relatively short time and then.... the new normal.

I think we should pass this through (painfully, like a large kidney stone) in about 8-12 weeks.

The big question is: How much will America's mistakes affect the global economy? I think we (Canada), China and the rest of Asia, and Europe will be on the rebound in a couple of months. But if America isn't functioning, will it keep the rest of us down?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Although there are no lineups near me, a friend's wife put together a 2-week menu and shopped for that. A good way of minimizing contacts and therefore transmissions.

I've probably got enough in the freezer for at least 2 weeks, just need to make a plan.
I usually do a big shop at Costco about every 6 weeks, with my wife picking up the odd perishables every day or so, it's only the two of us so with a chest freezer and 2 fridges it usually works well (I hate crowds and shopping in general), doubt I'll be doing this once our food runs out, we should be good the end of April, but once we need to restock buying in large quantities will most likely be limited?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Zero. China is fully opened up to the WHO and other scientists.

Agreed.

They screwed up right out of the gate and have performed miracles since then.

We could learn from them - although the bit about welding the locks shut on positive patients is probably a little too much for us.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I have more faith in China's reported numbers than in North America's ignorant numbers

Tons of countries playing with numbers.you can't have positives if you don't test people

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have more faith in China's reported numbers than in North America's ignorant numbers

Tons of countries playing with numbers.you can't have positives if you don't test people

Sure, nothing says faith like a dictatorial communist regime that deliberately hid and destroyed evidence, welded people into their homes, silenced whistleblowers and tried to blame the outbreak on another country

If you believe anything said by the Chinese government your an absolute moron, they put their own people in "reeducation" camps ffs

Last edited:

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Sure, nothing says faith like a dictatorial communist regime that deliberately hid and destroyed evidence, welded people into their homes, silenced whistleblowers and tried to blame the outbreak on another country

If you believe anything said by the Chinese government your an absolute moron, the stupidly and anti American bias around here is ******* fantastic

This is the truth. No one should be assuming that China is victorious/butterflies and rainbows because CNN and your other North American news sources are reporting that they have stopped the pandemic completely. China themselves are reporting no new cases to the world, while their citizens can't even speak out (cause they will be censored) and have a completely different internet than we do.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
HF Leafs... Although I disagree with about 65% you guys it's an honor to be able to post here and to wear the blue and white with you all. I sincerely wish the absolute best for you and all your families.

Times are tough right now and they're only going to get tougher, but now's the time to remember the lessons we learned from Borje, Burns, Wendel, Killer, Quinn, Domi, Captain Mats, the Sheriff, Papi, Cujo, and the Eagle... Grit and toughness will always prevail, and if you step up and answer the bell then you will inspire others to do so with you. Not everyone is as lucky as us to call these great men role models, and as we're all pushed to the brink and challenged it's important that we become role models for our communities just as these men were role models for us.

Go Leafs Go, and stay safe everyone.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

ummm how about the people filing for EI in the states actually go and find some job at the farms temporarily; earn a decent wage and also help out Americans

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I had been feeling super anxious but then just about every business that has my email address has contacted me to share their Covid-19 stories. I just might be able to carry on.
All news these days is pretty much COVID-19. That's understandable of course. Having said that, I find myself turning off the TV (and whatever other news sources) more & more just to take a break from it. Too much of a bad thing is a really bad thing. Better times are ahead of us no doubt. The only question is when.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is the truth. No one should be assuming that China is victorious/butterflies and rainbows because CNN and your other North American news sources are reporting that they have stopped the pandemic completely. China themselves are reporting no new cases to the world, while their citizens can't even speak out (cause they will be censored) and have a completely different internet than we do.

well the thing is unlike the effed up ways rich people get preferential treatment while poor suffer....

virus/microorganisms do not differentiate between rich/poor/gender/race/nationality/etc.... so if China is lying it is going to bite them on their behind; and there might be a social uproar once the things get really messy

Reactions: lottster14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad