OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Well, they are just not the worst.
So is Canada and every other country.

But we can all do better. We have the capability to do better. We just don't have the will to put the planet's health first priority.
Yeah.
Russia/China/India are the real culprits here.
North America could vanish and pollution would be virtually unchanged.
America especially is doing a very good job compared to all of those useless non binding climate accord snake oil salesmen.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
difficult to pay your provider when you aren't getting paid.

nah let’s go with all the conspiracy theories 14 million ppl have died in China in 2 months. Have you read the tweet replies to that my god. I’m sorry no country no Matter how secretive can hide even a million deaths in a month.

the fear mongering out there at the moment is really getting out of hand.

the truth is you are right obviously people can’t afford their cell phone bills due to lockdown

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nothing. There's just a few posters pushing the virus is man made narrative in here because theyve seen a few articles stating so.

yeah I edited my post. I seriously read “guys this made me laugh” when we can get on with our lives I’ll go to an optometrist I think.

totally agree the people believing this is man made in the face of so many scientists are really just fear mongers. Also a problem with our society of people automatically dismissing scientists because they don’t like the message.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I think I messed up my phone screen. Was using those alcochol wipes and even drained the cloth and my phone has now been mistyping every 20 to 30 letters unless I type slowly. Went to reddit to research this and there has been some mixed messages. A lot of people say it depends on phone model. Newer phones are better suited to be cleaned with a tiny bit of water and microfiber cloth. Most redditors admit they dont clean their phones and just wipe it with a dry substance. But that wont kill germs.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Let’s put this back on the pandemic.

A significant portion of the population stateside and here in Canada have a lot of trust in US Institutions and Leadership.

Here are quotes from the top
Office in the land, issued at the Podium under the Seal regarding the pandemic. And these are just in the last month:

“It’s a hoax”

“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China.”

“We have it very much under control in the USA... the stock market is starting to look very good to me”

“I think that’s a problem that’s going to go away. They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

“We’re going very substantially down, not up”

“The 15 [cases] within a couple of days is going to be to close to zero”

“I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

“Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. And the tests are beautiful. They are perfect... (ramble about transcript and letter)... Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

..... those are the statements coming from a person a portion of the population has significant trust in.

And then reinforced through talk show hosts.

If that is the guidance coming from the Top Office in the world... where would the US be right now... or we in Canada.... without folks like Dr Sanjay Gupta giving objective data and facts about how to deal with this?

Nothing is perfect but consider the alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Be a good and cooperative citizen but always remain skeptical of what you're being told. No one in power actually cares about YOUR personal best interests. They simply care about shaping what think and believe to be true.

P.S. Perfect example. Dr. Sanjay Gupta is an obvious hack. If he were an actual good doctor, neither you nor I would heard of him. Quality doctors aren't on television finding their own narcissism.

I can go with you on power.

However, to be a good and cooperative citizen which direction are you going to listen to? The guy speaking under the Presidential Seal who says it’s a hoax? Or medical professionals being given a platform?

PS..... Dr Gupta’s advice differs from WHO guidance? How exactly?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What’s your alternative though?

Let’s put this back on the pandemic.

A significant portion of the population stateside and here in Canada have a lot of trust in US Institutions and Leadership.

Here are quotes from the top
Office in the land, issued at the Podium under the Seal regarding the pandemic. And these are just in the last month:

“It’s a hoax”

“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China.”

“We have it very much under control in the USA... the stock market is starting to look very good to me”

“I think that’s a problem that’s going to go away. They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

“We’re going very substantially down, not up”

“The 15 [cases] within a couple of days is going to be to close to zero”

“I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

“Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. And the tests are beautiful. They are perfect... (ramble about transcript and letter)... Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

..... those are the statements coming from a person a portion of the population has significant trust in.

And then reinforced through talk show hosts.

If that is the guidance coming from the Top Office in the world... where would the US be right now... or we in Canada.... without folks like Dr Sanjay Gupta giving objective data and facts about how to deal with this?

Nothing is perfect but consider the alternative.

Probably Trump's biggest downfall, opening his mouth (or fingers as it were). He actually does do some things well but man oh man does he suck as a communicator . You'll never agree with every decision or direction from a politician (unless you are a blind supporter) but there is a lot to be said for how you communicate. It's an amazing contrast between the last two presidents. Obama too had some policy things I wouldn't side with but I would say was one of the more eloquent presidents I have seen in a long time. There are a few of his live town hall debates I found quite amazing in terms of handling extremely difficult, hot button questions in a way that even if you disagreed, you would leave feeling you were heard and understanding why where he was coming from had merit.

That's a true gift. One to me that is very important if you wish to lead men.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What's so terrible about the clarity of seeing that many of these vilified people are merely products of their political allegiances? And that many of them could easily be on the other side if that had been the path to power?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Probably Trump's biggest downfall, opening his mouth (or fingers as it were). He actually does do some things well but man oh man does he suck as a communicator . You'll never agree with every decision or direction from a politician (unless you are a blind supporter) but there is a lot to be said for how you communicate. It's an amazing contrast between the last two presidents. Obama too had some policy things I wouldn't side with but I would say was one of the more eloquent presidents I have seen in a long time. There are a few of his live town hall debates I found quite amazing in terms of handling extremely difficult, hot button questions in a way that even if you disagreed, you would leave feeling you were heard and understanding why where he was coming from had merit.

That's a true gift.

Did you see the town hall in Flint Michigan where he mocked a passionate crowd of people protesting lead in their water by pretending to drink the water but not actually doing it? What a compassionate human being he appeared to be there.

None of these people are good people. Nice people don't seek power.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

1 study done by a single lab. And this beauty from the original article

Thus, the high-affinity binding of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to human ACE2 is most likely the result of natural selection on a human or human-like ACE2 that permits another optimal binding solution to arise. This is strong evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is not the product of purposeful manipulation.

How dare you ask questions in science :p That's far from proof of anything.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
nah let’s go with all the conspiracy theories 14 million ppl have died in China in 2 months. Have you read the tweet replies to that my god. I’m sorry no country no Matter how secretive can hide even a million deaths in a month.

the truth is you are right obviously people can’t afford their cell phone bills due to lockdown

One of my Chinese co-workers, goes back home every few years, says most of his sphere over there carry two cell phones. I can't verify it, but he says they use one for pleasure and one for business.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
1 study done by a single lab. And this beauty from the original article

Thus, the high-affinity binding of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to human ACE2 is most likely the result of natural selection on a human or human-like ACE2 that permits another optimal binding solution to arise. This is strong evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is not the product of purposeful manipulation.

How dare you ask questions in science :p That's far from proof of anything.
Yes because the man made theories have much better evidence...

Coincidence>>>>>>
Am I right?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Yes because the man made theories have much better evidence...

Coincidence>>>>>>
Am I right?

Not necessarily. But you obviously posted that to prove it's not man-made. And it doesn't do that. Read the original article your article is quoting. I just like poking holes in info :)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Of all world nations fully involved in the world's trading markets and information super highway, China is the one nation that has the controls on information and the hammer force of an unopposed government to hide the deaths of millions of people. Of course they could hide it. Hopefully it isn't true.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not necessarily. But you obviously posted that to prove it's not man-made. And it doesn't do that. Read the original article your article is quoting. I just like poking holes in info :)

From the actual paper:
It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of a related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for binding to human ACE2 with an efficient solution different from those previously predicted7,11. Furthermore, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used19. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone20. Instead, we propose two scenarios that can plausibly explain the origin of SARS-CoV-2: (i) natural selection in an animal host before zoonotic transfer; and (ii) natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer. We also discuss whether selection during passage could have given rise to SARS-CoV-2.

I'm more inclined to believe the thoughts of a microbiologist than some people posting on the internet that don't even have a science degree.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Did you see the town hall in Flint Michigan where he mocked a passionate crowd of people protesting lead in their water by pretending to drink the water but not actually doing it? What a compassionate human being he appeared to be there.

None of these people are good people. Nice people don't seek power.

No but if what you are looking for is people who never make a misstep, guess what? It has nothing to do with power.

Do you honestly think there's a single person in the history of mankind that would hit that target?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
From the actual paper:

I'll take that with more thought than any minor coincidence that people can think of.
It may very well be natural. But you have to ask questions in science. That study is not definitive proof it's not man made.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But you cannot say there is better proof to say otherwise...

Can that change in the future, sure. But it is less likely.

I'm not gonna pretend to understand genome science. But if it is man-made, there's naturally motivation to keep that covered up. Kinda a big deal.

It's far from impossible. Basically, if Snopes tells me somethings not true...i wanna dig further :p So much disinformation out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad