OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Anyone commented on the utter devastation to small business, and what a gain that is for big corporate business?

And any mention of what a coincidence it was that a record number of CEOs stepped down or retired from major corporations in the few months preceding this Coronavirus shutdown/economic meltdown?

Any mention at all?
Just curious as to who's awake.

I'm awake (more or less) but not getting this, please explain.

All demographics are being completely ignorant to the situation. Let's not kid ourselves.

I have a friend who's boss went to Hong Kong two weeks ago and did not self isolate afterwards. Went to work as normal.

I know another person who's parents went to Puerto Rico last week but again, refused to self isolate after coming home despite the government telling everyone to, and their own children asking them to.

This is some depressing shit. Not many things more depressing then this sort of stupidity.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In Alberta

Dear staff, physicians and volunteers,

Today we write with updates on: cases in Alberta, surgical postponements, physician compensation, airport staffing, volunteer restrictions, predictions for COVID-19, Skype meetings, online assessment tool, and thanks to the whole team.

Case Update

We have confirmed 23 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, bringing the provincial total to 97.
We have five cases hospitalized – the same five cases reported as being hospitalized yesterday; two of those are in ICU. All other cases are self-isolated and expected to make a full recovery at home.

Surgical Postponements
Considerable planning is taking place to prepare our facilities to provide care as cases of COVID-19 increase. While we take action to do all we can to reduce the number of cases, we must also ensure our system can sustain its pandemic response. We are decreasing some of our regular activities in anticipation of an increase in Albertans needing hospital care.
To that end, Alberta Health Services is postponing all scheduled and elective surgeries. Urgent and emergency surgery, as well as oncology and scheduled caesarean procedures, will continue.

Airport Staffing Support
Starting March 16, Alberta Health Services has deployed staff to connect with returning international travellers at the Calgary and Edmonton International Airports. We recognized an immediate need to inform international travellers returning to Alberta of the province’s latest public health measures and travel recommendations. All returning international travellers are recommended to self-isolate for 14 days following return from travel. This means avoiding situations where they could infect other people.
While providing airport staffing support, precautions are being taken to ensure our staff are protected. Staff will not be in close contact with returning travellers, but only in casual contact. Only staff who have expressed interest will be participating in this work.

Predictions and Modelling
We know that the results of our current provincial measures will take time to see. In the meantime we still expect to see increases in travel-related cases, and additional cases of spread within our province, not related directly to travel. As we start to see these measures being effective, we will need to stay vigilant in order to sustain any positive results. We must also consider the measures needed in the fall when seasonal illness rates begin to climb again.
We have been working on predictions for COVID-19, which are based on previous experience with similar outbreaks of other illnesses and the recent COVID-19 experiences in other provinces and countries. In the coming days we will hold a webinar to share these informed assumptions and discuss the possible surges and peaks of COVID-19 here in Alberta. More information about this will come in a future daily update.

Telephone and Skype Issues

The unprecedented demand for telecommunications services across the country is causing intermittent issues connecting to toll-free networks, with some dropped calls. This issue affects all toll-free call lines (e.g. 1-800, 1-877, etc.) and 3G/LTE network bandwidths with all carriers. To help reduce congestion, TELUS advises using the local number option instead of the toll-free number (1-800, 1-877) when dialing into conference bridges.
There have also been some intermittent issues connecting with the IT Service Desk and Solution Centre Call Centre, Health Link, PADIS, and RAAPID. Callers receiving a busy signal or message are advised to call back. Telecom providers and carriers are working together to increase capacity, especially for healthcare organizations. TELUS has improved capacity in Calgary and Edmonton, and continues to work with AHS to monitor and mitigate issues as they arise.

Online Assessment Tool

AHS launched an online assessment tool on Friday, March 13, to help Albertans assess their symptoms of potential COVID-19 illness. Within hours it was being used and shared extensively on social media. As of this morning (March 17) people have taken the assessment over one million times.
We continue to work with other health jurisdictions to support them in developing a similar tool and in the last three days have shared the tool with the health systems in Saskatchewan, Yukon, Nunavut, PEI, Ontario and the Canadian Armed Forces. We have also had inquiries from outside of Canada, and we know that other health jurisdictions are looking to use it in other parts of the world.
Saskatchewan launched their tool on Sunday morning, and recognized AHS’ lead in developing this resource. We are pleased to be helping all Canadians in this crisis.
The tool directs people to call 811 if COVID-19 testing is required. It also provides reassurance to those who don’t require testing and will reduce call volumes to Health Link at 811 for those who don’t require testing or isolation.

We are working to add to the tool to allow those who are recommended for COVID-19 testing to be automatically referred to assessment centres. Hopefully, we can launch that part of the tool in the coming days.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Conspiracy theories are fun but usually just the product of people who have too much time to think. I'd love to see a list of retired CEO's each year over the last 10 to see if there is indeed a staggering number last year compared to previous years.

Hmmmmmm... global warming.... NASA is sending a space craft to the sun to "monitor"the Sun's activity... rich CEO's retiring ... my smart home device was telling me yesterday it was +10 but it was snowing outside.... Covid-19 .... electronic devices acting funny lately ... Putin threatening to flood the market with Oil dropping Oil to a 30 year low, a major sell off on stocks ... hundred year storms happening multiple times each year... the Leafs are still in a playoff spot..... what is the common denominator here ...

I've never been a conspiracy theorist in the least (it often lacks a lot of logic) but I do find that interesting, though not with respect to any virus, I just find it weird. Perhaps there are similar numbers in other years, just happened to be a lot of top companies.

Just looked it up. Apparently a "record-breaking year for CEO departures" (according to Business Insider) with more in the first 3 quarters of 2019 than the 2008 crisis.

Some (but not all of the big ones):

Boeing
Away
Gates Foundation
United Airlines
Expedia
Alphabet
SoulCycle
Gap
McDonald's
Wells Fargo
David's Bridal
Overstock
Under Armour
Care.com
AutoNation
PG&E
Kraft/Heinz
Blue Apron
HP
UnitedHealthcare
Guess
Mozilla
Boingo Wireless
REI
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Mattress Firm
Warner Bros.
Rite Aid
Burlington STores
Best Buy
New York Post
Colgate-Palmolive
Met Life
eBay
Juul
Nike
WeWork
Disney
Bill Gates (not CEO but stepping down in his role)

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
They go to countries with corporate tax rates who give them tax carve outs, that's the type of power and financial clout they have

That's been getting floated for decades, it doesn't happen though because developing countries with infrastructure that could take them won't sign that, I don't blame them either

Google has been shown to be working with the Chinese government on some very nefarious software
Nike exploits slave labor in Asia
Amazon doesn't pay federal income tax

Call me cynical but when I look at a lot of those large multinationals I doubt they care about being "good global citizens", they care about themselves and the bottom line

If paying a bit more tax makes them look good they will do it, but it's going to be their decision imo

No, somebody will give them a sweetheart deal as I was trying to explain to the other poster

He's slightly more idealistic than me :laugh:

I'm not American so I don't really care either way, they will get there's no matter where they are :laugh:
I'm right with you on how the corporate super powers don't have the countries best interest in mind. They're for sale.

Don't be evil.... Hahaha

Reactions: Kiwi

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've never been a conspiracy theorist in the least (it often lacks a lot of logic) but I do find that interesting, though not with respect to any virus, I just find it weird. Perhaps there are similar numbers in other years, just happened to be a lot of top companies.

Just looked it up. Apparently a "record-breaking year for CEO departures" (according to Business Insider) with more in the first 3 quarters of 2019 than the 2008 crisis.

I don't get it. If there is a conspiracy, what is it and how does it benefit from this?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Again, I personally don't think it is a conspiracy, I just think it's interesting so many top dogs are leaving.
Probably an asteroid coming. Just like Deep Impact where the top people had advanced knowledge.
Coronavirus is just a cover for our impending interplanetary doom.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Again, I personally don't think it is a conspiracy, I just think it's interesting so many top dogs are leaving.

Sure Ok, I'm just saying I can't even fathom what the conspiracy would be so I don't understand why anyone is even mentioning a possible link between CEO's leaving and this virus.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Sure Ok, I'm just saying I can't even fathom what the conspiracy would be so I don't understand why anyone is even mentioning a possible link between CEO's leaving and this virus.
Well, it's not that hard to understand. If all the top dogs knew what was coming then CEOs usually have contracts that promise bonuses for hitting a certain percentage of growth and profit. If the market crashes they will not receive those bonuses. They are getting the biggest piece of the pie they can, because they might be dead before the market recovers if ever.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Probably an asteroid coming. Just like Deep Impact where the top people had advanced knowledge.

Personally I know hell hasn't frozen over yet because the Leafs haven't won.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Just watched Deep Impact last night and what's with networks showing doomsday movies like Contagion, Armageddon, etc at this time. I want to be watching the Sound of Music or Bambi right now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, it's not that hard to understand. If all the top dogs knew what was coming then CEOs usually have contracts that promise bonuses for hitting a certain percentage of growth and profit. If the market crashes they will not receive those bonuses. They are getting the biggest piece of the pie they can, because they might be dead before the market recovers if ever.

If you say so. How are they better off after quitting, they don't get bonuses for leaving their jobs they do they?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
a few good news items:
- Oxford University has developed a new test that delivers results about 30 mins and needs only simple instruments (I think they're implying existing instruments in hospitals, meaning that there would be no shortage of the tests)
- a Japanese drug appears effective in treating Coronavirus in clinical trials - not a vaccine which is ultimately what we need, but might help in the fight against the virus in those who are infected
- an experiment in a northern italian town of 3300 people stopped all new infections, the key to it was mass testing to find cases and isolate them. This may be a feasible avenue on a larger scale if there is a test like the Oxford U one that doesn't require special supplies and can deliver results quickly

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If you say so. How are they better off after quitting, they don't get bonuses for leaving their jobs they do they?

Some get massive bonuses when leaving (like in the tens of millions). Again, I don't buy that though because that's a drop in the bucket to someone like him.

At least those are negotiated severances and such. Remember 2008 when $1.6 B of bank bailout went to pay bonuses (not salaries) to the very people that crashed the system, many of whom probably should have been in jail.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some get massive bonuses when leaving (like in the tens of millions). Again, I don't buy that though because that's a drop in the bucket to someone like him.

So what, if they leave later they don't get the bonuses? Makes no sense and I doubt very much that any company is dumb enough to structure things that way. If bad times are ahead, you want to motivate your top people to stay, not leave.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well, close call. My wife and I went to Europe and we left Nova Scotia on Christmas Day. We took the QM2 cruise to Southampton England. Then we took a ferry to mainland Europe and hit 14 countries. As we are travelling we are trying to stay ahead of the virus the whole time. We finally made it to Venice on February 15. We went on a gondola ride February 16 and left on the 17th towards Pisa Italy. It was the very next day after we left that the virus had spread out and we had just left the day before. We had a rental car and stayed in Airbnb's the whole time.

So we drive from Pisa to Porta Santo Stefano and then we went to Civiti and then we went to Brindisi. I had a cabin booked on the Grimaldi to go to Greece. But we turned on BBC at the hotel and it tells us that Italy is closing its borders. We immediately left the hotel and drove 14 hours straight to Menton France. Once we got to France we relaxed a little as only 50 cases were there and that was February 22. Then we went to Marseille, Bordeaux and Bessé-sur-Braye . Then back on a ferry back to London where we could speak English. We stayed at and Airbnb Yacht for a week as to quarantine ourselves at the Marina. Then we flew home here on March 11 only to go into another Quarantine in NS. Its a self Quarantine but better safe than sorry.

I thought you'd like to hear about our vacation/ordeal.

Wow crazy trip.
My grandpa was born there, haven't heard that towns name since I was a little kid.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So what, if they leave later they don't get the bonuses? Makes no sense and I doubt very much that any company is dumb enough to structure things that way. If bad times are ahead, you want to motivate your top people to stay, not leave.

You doubt that companies structure severances? Even crown corporations do that. Heck many civil servants have that. Obviously not to the degree the big dogs have.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Just watched Deep Impact last night and what's with networks showing doomsday movies like Contagion, Armageddon, etc at this time. I want to be watching the Sound of Music or Bambi right now.
Last week I watched The Stand miniseries that was from CBS in the 90s. It’s disjointed from the acting to the direction but still quite good. Perfect thing to watch right now haha
9 thumbs up.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You're gonna get a better walk away deal when things are healthy vs economic mayhem obviously. What we be more curious if they all dumped their stocks too :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Medical company threatens to sue volunteers that 3D-printed valves for life-saving coronavirus treatments

A medical device manufacturer has threatened to sue a group of volunteers in Italy that 3D printed a valve used for life-saving coronavirus treatments. The valve typically costs about $11,000 from the medical device manufacturer, but the volunteers were able to print replicas for about $1 (via Techdirt).
A hospital in Italy was in need of the valves after running out while treating patients for COVID-19. The hospital’s usual supplier said they could not make the valves in time to treat the patients, according to Metro. That launched a search for a way to 3D print a replica part, and Cristian Fracassi and Alessandro Ramaioli, who work at Italian startup Isinnova, offered their company’s printer for the job, reports Business Insider.

Reactions: PromisedLand

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

The conspiracy theory is they knew it was coming and got their buy outs / sold stocks before everything crashed.

*I am not endorsing this theory, just explaining the concept

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You're gonna get a better walk away deal when things are healthy vs economic mayhem obviously. What we be more curious if they all dumped their stocks too :)

Right, which is another reason not to buy it (along with the severance likely being peanuts for a guy like Gates).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad