OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
We need a pill or a treatment that takes away it's bite. We need it ASAP and we need all drug patents to be ignored for emergency use, and start cranking it out in every certified factory out there. If we have an antibiotic type solution we can get back to normal fast.

Here are some drugs that may be repurposed to treat coronavirus
French pharmaceutical Sanofi offers anti-malaria treatment for COVID-19 after ‘promising’ trials

The study on 24 patients with coronavirus using Plaquenil, a hydroxychloroquine molecule, which has also been used for decades for the treatment of autoimmune diseases like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

i keep hearing chloroquine and HIV meds work

i think the one issue is we may not have enough... but if it works everyone should be using it

Reactions: thewave

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm awake (more or less) but not getting this, please explain.

This is some depressing shit. Not many things more depressing then this sort of stupidity.

It's because of this stupidity that we may be facing an inevitable shutdown.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Frankly, I think one of two things is going on with China. Either they are flat out lying about the situation, or as you say, as soon as they attempt to go back to normal, they will spike again.

The US and Canadian Governments hit the panic buttons today. Despite calm demeanors, make no mistake, that when a government pledges to throw a trillion dollars at something, such as the US, and states, we will worry about this later, there is a major problem. If we are VERY LUCKY, we end up with a severe recession... if we aren't we hit a depression, and Governments are doing everything that they can to stop that. If they fail, they've just made it uglier, but it's what they have to do.

In the tragedy of all of this. There will come a treatment and people will live on. Western Civilization will have learned a valuable lesson about outsourcing production and start building a multi trillion dollar robotics manufacturing industry to see us in to the future.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
We need a pill or a treatment that takes away it's bite. We need it ASAP and we need all drug patents to be ignored for emergency use, and start cranking it out in every certified factory out there. If we have an antibiotic type solution we can get back to normal fast.

Here are some drugs that may be repurposed to treat coronavirus
French pharmaceutical Sanofi offers anti-malaria treatment for COVID-19 after ‘promising’ trials

The study on 24 patients with coronavirus using Plaquenil, a hydroxychloroquine molecule, which has also been used for decades for the treatment of autoimmune diseases like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.
Hopefully they keep testing it out as 24 cases is way too small a sample size. But its a good start.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
In the tragedy of all of this. There will come a treatment and people will live on. Western Civilization will have learned a valuable lesson about outsourcing production and start building a multi trillion dollar robotics manufacturing industry to see us in to the future.
Russia though....that's the real threat :p

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Frankly, I think one of two things is going on with China. Either they are flat out lying about the situation, or as you say, as soon as they attempt to go back to normal, they will spike again.

The US and Canadian Governments hit the panic buttons today. Despite calm demeanors, make no mistake, that when a government pledges to throw a trillion dollars at something, such as the US, and states, we will worry about this later, there is a major problem. If we are VERY LUCKY, we end up with a severe recession... if we aren't we hit a depression, and Governments are doing everything that they can to stop that. If they fail, they've just made it uglier, but it's what they have to do.
If it ever gets down to forced lockdowns - you will see the real side of Canadians and Americans. I don't see that going over well at all in our society and even less in the USA where martial law would have to be called in order for it to be implemented.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Russia though....that's the real threat :p

If it ever gets down to forced lockdowns - you will see the real side of Canadians and Americans. I don't see that going over well at all in our society and even less in the USA where martial law would have to be called in order for it to be implemented.

We don't need forced anything in Canada. Canadian's have a time honored tradition of doing what is right for the people of Canada and the World. We are the true gem of this world, the Switzerland of Economics in the America's for our stability and the Russia of untapped resources. The hard nosed Rural Canadian's are also some of the most hearty well conditioned people left in all of Western Civilization. I have confidence in this country to overcome anything and everything put to the test. Just go back in time and ask German Soldiers of WW1 and WW2 what it was like to deal with motivated Hockey playing Canadians. Most highly educated in the world doesn't hurt either ;)

Oh and innovation... Home | Aureon Energy, Ltd.

We got this.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I would have voted for Andrew Yang before this happened. Shame he won't be an option :(

$1000 per month per person for let's say 170 million people. That's over $2 trillion. The annual tax intake of the USA is well under $4 trillion.

It's an unbelievably stupid idea. Without doubt it would ruin the currency, collapse most government services, cause runaway inflation, collapse about a hundred small nations that base their currency on the US dollar and cause a world wide depression.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

The entire world is dealing with it as best we can. Everyone has the same issues here. We will be no worse off as a result then anyone else. Things will resume as best they can when things get back to normal. Hopefully it is just a bad recession. No one knows if we get a depression out of this yet. I guess it will depend how long it lasts. Hopefully by summer the heat slows transmission and start back up again.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
$1000 per month per person for let's say 170 million people. That's over $2 trillion. The annual tax intake of the USA is well under $4 trillion.

It's an unbelievably stupid idea. Without doubt it would ruin the currency, collapse most government services, cause runaway inflation, collapse about a hundred small nations that base their currency on the US dollar and cause a world wide depression.
Again everyone else has same issues. on a relative basis nothing much will really change. everyone will be so excited and ready to go when the thing ends things will get back to normal as best they can.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Again, it makes no sense that things would be structured this way. Do you really think it makes sense to structure severance bonuses in such a way that top people are motivated to leave if they things bad times are ahead? I doubt any major corporation is dumb enough to do things that way myself.

Again....not endorsing the theory, just explaining what is behind it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Again....not endorsing the theory, just explaining what is behind it.

You haven't explained why it makes sense to motivate top execs to leave. I dont think its true and unless someone can provide a source, people should stop speculating that this nonsense is true.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I posted this in the stocks thread, but will post it here as well,

Ceo's that have stepped down. Data taken 4 days ago,

1. Microsoft, Bill Gates, 3/13 after forever
  2. UPS, David Abney, 3/12 (after 6Y)
  3. Disney CEO, Bob Iger, 2/25 (after 15 Y)
  4. MasterCard CEO, Ajay Banga, 2/25 (after 10 Y)
  5. Salesforce CEO, Keith Block, 2/25 (after 18 M)
  6. Uber Eats VP, Jason Droege, 2/25 (after 6 Y)
  7. Outdoor Voices CEO, Tyler Haney, 2/25 (after 8 Y)
  8. Cansortium Cannabis CEO, Jose Hidalgo, 2/25 (after 5 Y)
  9. St. Luke's Hospital CEO, Christine Candio, 2/25 (after 5 Y) (one of St. Louis' biggest hospitals)
  10. JCPenney CMO, Shawn Gensch, 2/25 (after 9 M)
  11. Bowers & Wilkins CEO Gregory Lee, 2/24 (after 2 M)
  12. Bowers & Wilkins CFO Gideon Yu, 2/24 (after 4 Y)
  13. L Brands CEO, Les Wexner, 2/20 (after 57 Y)
  14. Credit Suisse CEO, Tidjane Thiam, 2/13 (after 5 Y)
  15. MGM CEO, Jim Murren, 2/12 (after 12 Y)
  16. Aurora Cannabis CEO, Terry Booth, 2/6 (+other big cuts)
  17. LinkedIn CEO, Jeff Weiner, 2/5 (after 11 Y)
  18. HULU CEO, Randy Freer, 1/31 (after 2 Y)
  19. IBM CEO , Ginni Rometty, 1/30 (after 8 Y)
  20. Match.com CEO, Mandy Ginsberg, 1/29 (health)
  21. International Airlines Group (IAG) CEO, Willie Walsh, 1/9 (after 9 Y)

Now its up to 27.

It would be nice if media picked this story and did some investigative journalism a bit. Stocks are crashing but there has to be a buyer; without somebody buying the shares at a ridiculous price who are the sellers going to sell that to anyway?

Would like to know who the buyers and sellers of the stocks are.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
^
Mark Cuban was on CNBC. He said that any company that gets bailed out should not have an option to buy stocks ever , it should be illegal in his words.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Freakin' greedy big pharmas

I feel the problems we have now are because greed ran rampant. It's not even hard to explain the whole thing. Greedy Capitalists / Bankers lobbied over many decades, the politicians to create laws and loopholes to enable large corporations to form monopolies. They would ultimately corrupt a solid working system and exploit it by way of the very laws and loopholes they had baked in. The vulnerabilities ie. outsourcing national strategic manufacturing and flipping to a pure services economy was driven only by greed, not sound economics. I think they became pirates after that and waged wars for oil and Lithium in Afghanistan etc. These issues are being resolved right now in this crisis, I am sure of it. It's all coming to a head.

Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
^
Matk Cuban was on CNBC. He said that any company that gets bailed out should not have an option to buy stocks ever , it should be illegal in his words.

They made that legal in 1984 when they started the process to outsource manufacturing to countries whom were known human rights violators and employing slave labor. It has to change, I think this virus is going to positively change this world for the better but the pain felt will be real and hard. In the end, it will be good.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't get it. If there is a conspiracy, what is it and how does it benefit from this?

I guess it depends on how "stock options" are contracted in the CEO's legal agreement. Unless we know them it will be hard to form any kind of decent intuition about it.

For example; can the CEO remain and work in the CEO capacity if they don't hold X% of the shares?

Why would someone contract the legal agreement that way?
Well if the CEOs are forced by contractual agreement to hold X% of the shares then they have to hold these shares whether the company is doing well or not; so it has a direct impact on their net worth.

If they resign as CEOs they can sell these shares and minimize impact on their net-worth when the markets are crashing. If CEOs game plan is short-term gain then.......

Why would CEOs be forced to hold X% of the shares?
It is to avoid moral hazard problem; avoid significant risk taking by the CEO to maximize rate of return on the shares in the short-term.

Probably not a conspiracy but we do need more information to form any kind of opinoin; that said so many CEOs stepping down and the crisis (social and economic) happening at the same time is a little suspect

I guess.... :dunno:

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You haven't explained why it makes sense to motivate top execs to leave. I dont think its true and unless someone can provide a source, people should stop speculating that this nonsense is true.
Ok here is the "theory"

Most CEO's have exit packages based on financials as well as some type of stock options. The conspiracy theorists are claiming they knew Covid was coming and they knew the markets would tank. So they decided to leave before all that. By doing so, they maximized their exit packages, and cashed out their stock options while they were still high.

and for the third time......I don't subscribe to this theory.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I feel the problems we have now are because greed ran rampant. It's not even hard to explain the whole thing. Greedy Capitalists / Bankers lobbied over many decades, the politicians to create laws and loopholes to enable large corporations to form monopolies. They would ultimately corrupt a solid working system and exploit it by way of the very laws and loopholes they had baked in. The vulnerabilities ie. outsourcing national strategic manufacturing and flipping to a pure services economy was driven only by greed, not sound economics. I think they became pirates after that and waged wars for oil and Lithium in Afghanistan etc. These issues are being resolved right now in this crisis, I am sure of it. It's all coming to a head.

Have you watched Michael Moore documentary "Capitalism a Love story"; I thought it was BRILLIANT! Pretty much what you are suggesting but gives real life examples

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Depression if you don't, perhaps depression if you do.. Kind of a difficult spot to be in right now. Better to take the Hail Mary, than not.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
i keep hearing chloroquine and HIV meds work

i think the one issue is we may not have enough... but if it works everyone should be using it

The thing though is that I would like to know the long-term effects of using these meds on folks that do not have Malaria or HIV.

What are the health impacts? Without knowing them and having full knowledge/information it could potentially be dangerous.

Back in the day smoking was allowed in offices because they said it is not an issue until further research found the link between 2nd hand smoking and cancer/lung disease.

I am not a paranoid person but like to exercise caution just in case ;)

Last edited:

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Soooo I am likely going to be temporarily laid off. Having never had to apply before, does anyone know if the 55% of EI is of your Gross pay or Net (take home)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad