OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
A couple of random notes...

All IKEAs shutting down.

Also I saw a random article that Japan also has a drug that was used, and if used early enough... it can be used to help get rid of the coronavirus quicker, and treat it.

340 patients have had it with no bad side effects... it seems to help most people. Favipiravir is the name of the drug.

Of course with the news... the companies shares shot up huge today.

theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

Reactions: Gary Nylund

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Listened to a couple of farmers on Cbc and they said they rely a lot on US workers. So the border closure will hurt them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On another note, I reckon that schools are done for the year now... plan accordingly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

All IKEAs shutting down.

Also I saw a random article that Japan also has a drug that was used, and if used early enough... it can be used to help get rid of the coronavirus quicker, and treat it.

340 patients have had it with no bad side effects... it seems to help most people. Favipiravir is the name of the drug.

theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

Really nice to see some good news here, a refreshing change. Well, my wife won't be happy about IKEA, come to think of it, I may go quick and pick up some IKEA meatballs, those things are tasty. :) Oops, closed already I see, oh well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Mexican and Caribbean workers as well. Vineyards and fruit farmers rely on them pretty heavily.

I'm in New Zealand and we rely heavily on seasonal workers for fruit picking, harvesting vegetables and they play a large part in the dairy sector

We've basically shut down our boarder and if those people can't get over here were completely ******, our economy relys on those people to a massive degree

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines

All IKEAs shutting down.

There have been a number of positive developments regarding anti-viral, anti-malarial, and HIV meds. The problem is getting the production and distribution of said meds up to scale with the infection curve.

Reactions: Burnie97

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
The live tracker just reported 103 deaths worldwide in their latest update a few mins ago, 1 more in Canada. 9 total in Canada

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If it ever gets down to forced lockdowns - you will see the real side of Canadians and Americans. I don't see that going over well at all in our society and even less in the USA where martial law would have to be called in order for it to be implemented.

Please God don't let it come to that in the US.

The NRA is already trying to create rebel rousers

Reactions: Blue Nate

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No, somebody will give them a sweetheart deal as I was trying to explain to the other poster

He's slightly more idealistic than me :laugh:

You may be surprised at who amongst is really the more pragmatic capitalist. Hard to know the background of people you talk to on an internet website. You may even be talking to people who have started their own companies, employed hundreds of people, and generated 100s of millions of dollars annually. You may even be talking to people who have investigated setting up businesses in other countries, and are aware of the wide, powerful, economic unions that are studying applying international taxes to multinational corporations.

Its a slippery slope when you start stereotyping people you know nothing about.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The thing though is that I would like to know the long-term effects of using these meds on folks that do not have Malaria or HIV.

What are the health impacts? Without knowing them and having full knowledge/information it could potentially be dangerous.

Back in the day smoking was allowed in offices because they said it is not an issue until further research found the link between 2nd hand smoking and cancer/lung disease.

I am not a paranoid person but like to exercise caution just in case ;)

Agreed. I would ask everyone to do some research into vaccines. Once they do the proper testing the are an invaluable resource. Fast tracking them can lead to danger. Obviously they will have to fast track a bit here. Hopefully the can create something to help combat the virus and shorten how long people are ill helping to slow down new infections and buying more time to safely create the vaccine

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
If it ever gets down to forced lockdowns - you will see the real side of Canadians and Americans. I don't see that going over well at all in our society and even less in the USA where martial law would have to be called in order for it to be implemented.

Yep, many Americans would guard their homes from the gov with their firearms. And they'd be justified in doing so.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Really nice to see some good news here, a refreshing change. Well, my wife won't be happy about IKEA, come to think of it, I may go quick and pick up some IKEA meatballs, those things are tasty. :) Oops, closed already I see, oh well.

I figured IKEA closing for a bit is good for most of us on this board... lol.

No, but really in all seriousness everyone shouldn't obviously be doing that stuff right now anyway.

Figured good news once in a while is better to see.

There have been a number of positive developments regarding anti-viral, anti-malarial, and HIV meds. The problem is getting the production and distribution of said meds up to scale with the infection curve.

That is very true. Hopefully they can find a way to expedite the process, but that its still safe too.

Jun 27, 2005
No worries, maybe someone will provide a source at some point, maybe not. We'll see.

So no explanation of why this would make sense. No source either. But condescension to spare, good to know. :)

The compensation of CEO's is negotiated with the board in a contract. The terms of the contract deal with all forms of compensation and in all scenarios including firing and resigning. It's different for everyone. The key point is that the CEO negotiates their side and if they include terms that let them leave and sell all of their stock and if the other side agrees then it's done. The only potential issues for this discussion are things like insider trading.

As for sources you might want to look up various CEOs severance packages etc. I'm not gonna waste my time doing it but you might want to look into Carly Fiorina as I believe she got something like $100M over six years even though the stock price fell 50%. It's all about the individual contract.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Not sure what the known information is on re-infection after recovery, but whatever it is will be huge.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Soooo I am likely going to be temporarily laid off. Having never had to apply before, does anyone know if the 55% of EI is of your Gross pay or Net (take home)?

Up to a certain value yeah.

No
No
No
Yes
No

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The compensation of CEO's is negotiated with the board in a contract. The terms of the contract deal with all forms of compensation and in all scenarios including firing and resigning. It's different for everyone. The key point is that the CEO negotiates their side and if they include terms that let them leave and sell all of their stock and if the other side agrees then it's done. The only potential issues for this discussion are things like insider trading.

As for sources you might want to look up various CEOs severance packages etc. I'm not gonna waste my time doing it but you might want to look into Carly Fiorina as I believe she got something like $100M over six years even though the stock price fell 50%. It's all about the individual contract.

Thanks for the thoughtful and interesting response. :)

I guess that (finally) answers my question, I can now see why a company might agree to this kind of clause. They don't want to, it's never a good thing for them but ... if they want their man badly enough and that's what it takes then they might decide to do it. I can't imagine that this is a very common thing but I could be wrong and it doesn't really matter. All I was asking for was a scenario in which a company might do this sort of thing and this works.

Makes sense, thanks again!

Not sure what the known information is on re-infection after recovery, but whatever it is will be huge.

I read today something along the lines of this:

Yes it's possible, there have been a couple of documented cases in China. The article I read said this should be considered to be good news as the fact that there have been only a couple of such cases means that this happening is the exception rather than the norm. I'm no expert but that sounds reasonable.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

My understanding is that you recover because your body develops the ability to fight it off, which would largely prevent you from getting it again.

If that wasn't the case, then I'm not sure how you could recover in the first place, since your house/bed is going to be covered in the virus and constantly re-infecting you.

I don't know what I'm talking about, admittedly, but I think the logic works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad