OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Have you watched Michael Moore documentary "Capitalism a Love story"; I thought it was BRILLIANT! Pretty much what you are suggesting but gives real life examples

This virus is teaching us a valuable lesson and will bring people closer together after it's settled.

Never seen it but from what I have read and seen over the years, it's a simple system that rewarded the ruthless and people with little to no regard for human life. I think as it went on those sorts of people were seeking each other out and bringing them into the fold. Once people like that dominate society they start fighting each other, then they turn on the people. This pattern of behavior has repeated for centuries and centuries and gets labeled as things like "The anti-christ spirit" etc and really that's probably a fair characterization as many people start to follow and emulate those with the monetary power instead of those of good character.

Reactions: Jojalu

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Soooo I am likely going to be temporarily laid off. Having never had to apply before, does anyone know if the 55% of EI is of your Gross pay or Net (take home)?

Gross pay. Sorry to hear about it man. But you won't have to pay more taxes.

Hopefully things get resolved soon enough.

Reactions: leburn98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok here is the "theory"

Most CEO's have exit packages based on financials as well as some type of stock options. The conspiracy theorists are claiming they knew Covid was coming and they knew the markets would tank. So they decided to leave before all that. By doing so, they maximized their exit packages, and cashed out their stock options while they were still high.

and for the third time......I don't subscribe to this theory.

The bolded is what I don't believe to be true. People keep saying this for some reason but it makes no sense so until someone can provide a source ...

I had stock options myself at point with a pretty big company and I couldn't sell them for 5 years. If I left the company then I lost the options completely. And after 5 years, I could sell or hold regardless of whether I was still with the company or not. So as you can see, there was no set of circumstances under which it was financially beneficial for me to leave and for at least the third time, I doubt any company is dumb enough to structure bonuses or options or whatever else in such a way that at any time, the employee has financial incentive to leave.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I've never been a conspiracy theorist in the least (it often lacks a lot of logic) but I do find that interesting, though not with respect to any virus, I just find it weird. Perhaps there are similar numbers in other years, just happened to be a lot of top companies.

Just looked it up. Apparently a "record-breaking year for CEO departures" (according to Business Insider) with more in the first 3 quarters of 2019 than the 2008 crisis.

Some (but not all of the big ones):

Boeing
Away
Gates Foundation
United Airlines
Expedia
Alphabet
SoulCycle
Gap
McDonald's
Wells Fargo
David's Bridal
Overstock
Under Armour
Care.com
AutoNation
PG&E
Kraft/Heinz
Blue Apron
HP
UnitedHealthcare
Guess
Mozilla
Boingo Wireless
REI
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Mattress Firm
Warner Bros.
Rite Aid
Burlington STores
Best Buy
New York Post
Colgate-Palmolive
Met Life
eBay
Juul
Nike
WeWork
Disney
Bill Gates (not CEO but stepping down in his role)

They found out that the economy was going to crash, so they quit before it did to make sure their legacy was going to remain. The US planted the virus in China to make it look like it was the virus that crashed the economy but it was really a bubble that was about to burst and Russia with one last move, threatening to flood the market with cheap oil, pushed the economy off the cliff.

That sounds like a who done it conspiracy book that needs to be written. ;)

Reactions: Its not your fault

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If I have to explain that . . . then you're probably not awake.

Are you interested in polite and respectful conversation or do you just want to make condescending remarks? The "awake" comment was tongue-in-cheek BTW in case you didn't get that.

This is from my last post, if there's something I'm missing or if you have a source to provide, I'm all ears. I'm listening ...

I had stock options myself at point with a pretty big company and I couldn't sell them for 5 years. If I left the company then I lost the options completely. And after 5 years, I could sell or hold regardless of whether I was still with the company or not. So as you can see, there was no set of circumstances under which it was financially beneficial for me to leave and for at least the third time, I doubt any company is dumb enough to structure bonuses or options or whatever else in such a way that at any time, the employee has financial incentive to leave.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Sure Ok, I'm just saying I can't even fathom what the conspiracy would be so I don't understand why anyone is even mentioning a possible link between CEO's leaving and this virus.

This coronavirus has caused an unprecedented economic shutdown and meltdown, all stocks have plummetted.
When a CEO retires or leaves, they automatically cash in their shares, and in doing so, a huge number of company stocks and shares can be sold off with a perfectly good explanation and no ripple effect within the company.
CEO gets to sell high before the crash.

That's as plain as I can make it.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
They found out that the economy was going to crash, so they quit before it did to make sure their legacy was going to remain. The US planted the virus in China to make it look like it was the virus that crashed the economy but it was really a bubble that was about to burst and Russia with one last move, threatening to flood the market with cheap oil, pushed the economy off the cliff.

That sounds like a who done it conspiracy book that needs to be written. ;)
So the USA planted a pangolin in a Chinese wet market?

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The bolded is what I don't believe to be true. People keep saying this for some reason but it makes no sense so until someone can provide a source ...

Can't help you further Gary, as I have repeatedly said, I don't buy into the theory either.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It would be nice if media picked this story and did some investigative journalism a bit. Stocks are crashing but there has to be a buyer; without somebody buying the shares at a ridiculous price who are the sellers going to sell that to anyway?

Would like to know who the buyers and sellers of the stocks are.

The buyers in part appear to be various countries' central banks.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This coronavirus has caused an unprecedented economic shutdown and meltdown, all stocks have plummetted.
When a CEO retires or leaves, they automatically cash in their shares, and in doing so, a huge number of company stocks and shares can be sold off with a perfectly good explanation and no ripple effect within the company.
CEO gets to sell high before the crash.

That's as plain as I can make it.

Source? This is different from the options I had and I'm skeptical. Why would it make sense for any company to force the CEO to cash in when they leave? Anyone selling has a downward effect on stock price so again, why in the world would any company force a departing employee to sell their shares regardless of what their position in the company is/was?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So the USA planted a pangolin in a chinese wet market?

The wet market is a cover for what really happened, apparently there is a testing facility in Wuhan that is responsible to do experiments on all these nasty viruses..the US actually brought the virus over to Wuhan to make it look like the virus escaped from that facility ... a worker form that facility had raw Pangolin sushi rolls and boom... patent zero... wet market... case closed... :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can't help you further Gary, as I have repeatedly said, I don't buy into the theory either.

No worries, maybe someone will provide a source at some point, maybe not. We'll see.

Don't bother explaining to him, he bought stocks before so he knows what it's like being in CEO's shoes :laugh:

So no explanation of why this would make sense. No source either. But condescension to spare, good to know. :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Strange that the OHL and QMJHL took so long to cancel CHL leagues as the WHL canceled games the same day as the NHL did. My Leafs and Kelowna Rockets both ended at the same time.

Now WHL has teams in Spokane, Seattle, Portland etc and that is where the Coronavirus is a hotspot, so the immediate suspending of games made sense, however the other 2 CHL leagues keeping open longer has in fact now increased the risk to Canadians and having untested people in large groups spread it for another couple of weeks.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Strange that the OHL and QMJHL took so long to cancel CHL leagues as the WHL canceled games the same day as the NHL did. My Leafs and Kelowna Rockets both ended at the same time.

Now WHL has teams in Spokane, Seattle, Portland etc and that is where the Coronavirus is a hotspot, so the immediate suspending of games made sense, however the other 2 CHL leagues keeping open longer has in fact now increased the risk to Canadians and having untested people in large groups spread it for another couple of weeks.
The OHL and QMJHL both suspended their leagues as the NHL did. They were not playing any games. This tweet is saying that officially the season is over, ie not going to finish (like the NHL might).

They did nothing different than what the WHL did.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Got an email from Puma the shoe company that not only will they be closing their retail stores, but also a lot of their manufacturing facilities. Anyone think that this could hit Amazons and Walmart fullfilment centres? Its surely possible.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Also guys I am pretty sure the EI website will crash for long periods of time, so be prepared for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad