OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think I've watched all the Disney era Star Wars films at least a half dozen times now...except TROS which I have not and have no desire to watch again. It was such a blatant attempt to apologize to the fans who hated TLJ that I think it just pissed off those who did actually enjoy TLJ (or at least half of it like I did). As much as I like Palpatine as a character, bringing him back was lazy and one of those "Hey isn't it cool" moments that we talked about earlier that did feel forced.

Bingo. It’s the combination of that and the ending that turned me off in a pretty visceral way.

There was just so much wrong with the development of it. Bringing back the guy notoriously shitty for endings. Bringing in the writer of BvS. Trying to appease people who likely never going to accept the movie after how they felt about TFA and TLJ while alienating the people who were actually big fans of the trilogy. Forcing them to complete the movie on a condensed timetable because Iger wouldn’t let them push it back which led to then releasing an unfinished movie. I remember the editors saying they worked up until Thanksgiving and just couldn’t continue working on the movie any longer because it was too close to release. Daisy said in an interview that even while they were filming she wasn’t sure if JJ was going to retcon her background or even what that retcon would be. It was an absolute mess from start to finish in production and to me that jumped out on screen as well

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I mentioned it in the TAN, but maybe it's better here. The Oculus. VR. I used it today and thought it was great.

I’ve wanted VR since before it actually came out. Here it is and I still haven’t bought one because I don’t know which one to get or how they work. Do you download the games straight to the VR headset?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I liked the first few episodes of the Mandalorian. Really does the "space western" theme well.

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy shortly before the prequels came out. I remember liking the prequels when they came out, and then liking them less and less as I got older and noticed more shitty things.

I've only seen the Disney sequels once each and that's enough. Less said, the better.

But I did like Rogue One and I think the galaxy Lucas built is ripe for telling more interesting stories. So I'm interested to see the Mandalorian and other similar shows set in the Star Wars galaxy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’ve wanted VR since before it actually came out. Here it is and I still haven’t bought one because I don’t know which one to get or how they work. Do you download the games straight to the VR headset?

Have only done a little bit of research so far, but:

Oculus, which is made by Meta(ie facebook) has 2 options, the Quest which is a stand alone headset, and the Rift which you use in conjunction with your PC. These go for around $300. We have the quest.

The Valve Index is another headset option and sells for a grand. Is it worth it? I dunno but I'm curious to see the difference.

It does appear you download the games direct to the Quest. It has 128 gb so I guess that stores a lot of games?

From my little tiny bit of experience the $300 Quest was so awesome that for an intro to VR I don't think you can beat that. Also consider that FB, one of the biggest money making companies in the world, changed the name of their company to Meta, which says to everyone that they are going all in on this. So I think that would mean way more possibilities for the future from their platform. Where as the Valve? I had never heard of it before, and wouldn't be shocked if it was not eventually squeezed out of existence by the behemoth that is FB.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I liked the first few episodes of the Mandalorian. Really does the "space western" theme well.

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy shortly before the prequels came out. I remember liking the prequels when they came out, and then liking them less and less as I got older and noticed more shitty things.

I've only seen the Disney sequels once each and that's enough. Less said, the better.

But I did like Rogue One and I think the galaxy Lucas built is ripe for telling more interesting stories. So I'm interested to see the Mandalorian and other similar shows set in the Star Wars galaxy.

I can't wait for the Obi-Wan series. Ewan McGregor was probably the best part of the prequels and seeing him back in the role is going to be fun. I'm still not sure what to think about them teasing a potential Obi-Wan vs Vader showdown though. On the one hand it would be cool, but on the other I like the idea of them not seeing each other between ROTS and ANH.

Reactions: Darkauron

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Watched 2-1/2 episodes of Wheel of Time. I don’t know what it is with this show, I just can’t stay awake when it’s on. So far it’s very meh, feels kinda cheesy almost like something on SyFy.

Right now all the main characters are broken up into pairs and I just don’t give a shit about any of them, was hoping the wolves would take some of them out lol.

Not off to a great start for me but I’ll give it a few more episodes.
I've watched the 1st 4 episodes now and it's pretty good. I will watch the rest as they come out. I read some of the books what seems like decades ago so I am a little familiar with the plot, but I have forgotten most of it.

Reactions: Devils731

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I've watched the 1st 4 episodes now and it's pretty good. I will watch the rest as they come out. I read some of the books what seems like decades ago so I am a little familiar with the plot, but I have forgotten most of it.
I saw the first three, I just haven't clicked with it so far. I think the next bunch of episodes are out so I'll give it a chance.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
True Story on Netflix was really good. Impressive work from Kevin Hart who I'm not a huge fan of. I like him enough but this short series was absolutely fantastic.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
True Story on Netflix was really good. Impressive work from Kevin Hart who I'm not a huge fan of. I like him enough but this short series was absolutely fantastic.
I thought it was really good. Definitely good acting between Hart and Snipes and glad it was just a short mini-series.

I watched Bill Burr's Immoral Compass last night. Funny, but very, very short.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yellowstone, aside from the ads for all their related shows this season, continues to be the best show on television.

Reactions: JK3

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Caught up on all the episodes of Wheel of Time and I think it's gotten better. It still feels like somewhere between a SyFy level production and a GOT level production, although to be fair GOT was more grounded in politics in the early seasons whereas this is straight up fantasy right off the bat.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Caught up on all the episodes of Wheel of Time and I think it's gotten better. It still feels like somewhere between a SyFy level production and a GOT level production, although to be fair GOT was more grounded in politics in the early seasons whereas this is straight up fantasy right off the bat.

I watched another episode with my wife and when it ended (episode 3) I looked at her and just said… “this is a you show now, I’m done”. (We laughed). The quality of the acting and set design is absolutely SyFy quality if not worse.

Reactions: JK3

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Started the Beatles "Get Back" doc. Wow, if you're a hardcore fan or spent a lot of time playing in bands, it's great. Just finished Episode 2.

My respect for Lennon grew even greater. A lot of emotional intelligence relative to Paul and you can see how much Paul needs that counter-weight. Feel bad for George but at the same time, quit being a little bitch and practice more if you want them to respect you, haha. It's funny how they're like any other band, messing around, kind of playing things shitty and then it all gels together the more they work at it instead of chatting.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Started the Beatles "Get Back" doc. Wow, if you're a hardcore fan or spent a lot of time playing in bands, it's great. Just finished Episode 2.

My respect for Lennon grew even greater. A lot of emotional intelligence relative to Paul and you can see how much Paul needs that counter-weight. Feel bad for George but at the same time, quit being a little bitch and practice more if you want them to respect you, haha. It's funny how they're like any other band, messing around, kind of playing things shitty and then it all gels together the more they work at it instead of chatting.

i don’t think George’s big problem was his playing although he clearly did get frustrated at times when Paul suggested parts to him. I think he was mostly frustrated John and Paul gave little heed to his songs. He was ultimately proven correct when All Things Must Pass came out.

Reactions: Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
i don’t think George’s problem was playing. I think he was frustrated John and Paul gave little heed to his songs. He was ultimately proven correct when All Things Must Pass came out.

Yeah, you might be right. I've been in that situation before a couple times in the Paul/John/"bossman" role so I tend to be more sympathetic to their sort of view.

I also view George's earlier work (pre-White Album) as stuff that was elevated by the others (i.e. Paul's guitar on Taxman is a clear one or the effects on Blue Jay Way). I also think that George's forays into Indian music are a little superficial - the melody in Martha My Dear is like a much smarter English/Indian hybrid to me. Ditto for Tomorrow Never Knows, if you get me? Like George is more literal about the Eastern influence but Paul and John get the sentiment behind it.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah, you might be right. I've been in that situation before a couple times in the Paul/John/"bossman" role so I tend to be more sympathetic to their sort of view.

I also view George's earlier work (pre-White Album) as stuff that was elevated by the others (i.e. Paul's guitar on Taxman is a clear one or the effects on Blue Jay Way). I also think that George's forays into Indian music are a little superficial - the melody in Martha My Dear is like a much smarter English/Indian hybrid to me. Ditto for Tomorrow Never Knows, if you get me? Like George is more literal about the Eastern influence but Paul and John get the sentiment behind it.

I’m not a musician so I’m not sure how to evaluate the Eastern music thing beyond George obviously incorporated the instruments and the drone sound they make. I think that George was way too passive aggressive which wa something he carried with him after he left the Beatles. Still they managed to make chicken salad out of chicken poop in those Get Back sessions.

Reactions: Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I’m not a musician so I’m not sure how to evaluate the Eastern music thing beyond George obviously incorporated the instruments and the drone sound they make. I think that George was way too passive aggressive which wa something he carried with him after he left the Beatles. Still they managed to make chicken salad out of chicken poop in those Get Back sessions.

back in '97 i built a 'sitar' (which i still have on my instrument rack) out of a counter top and a 2x4 ….the strings were got from some professor at western university in london ontario. i reached this person by landline telephone and asked if they knew where to get roughly .13 gauge piano wire, 'about 25 feet' …i was at the college across the city i'll add, not the university

so he says, no problem…..i have it…. ill give you a whole roll …..told i could pick it up in a certain building on campus (3rd floor?) … it will be a sheet size yellow envelope tacked to the hallway bulletin board with your name.

i went after dark off hours and sure enough it was there….wrapped in some kind of wax paper with a real label on it …..it's a lifetime supply of this shit i thought!

…i still have the miles long roll….

so this sitar... half the fretboard is scalloped (other half gives the insane long neck some stabillity)….of which to tune the thing in normal playing position my left arm is fully reaching for the machine heads

6 strings. 4 are drones not fretted by fingers usually but can be done …..2 strings are over scallops and the spacing between all the strings is not consistent. tunings?….many different ways

bridge is nice hardwood though ….and it doesnt look like a counter top …only from the back

first instrument i 'built' …not that bullshit shoe box and rubber band thing we made as kids

pictures and sound would be better (another time)

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I agree, I think it has gotten better as it moves along. The battle scenes have been pretty good as well.

My3Sons

Sponsor
back in '97 i built a 'sitar' (which i still have on my instrument rack) out of a counter top and a 2x4 ….the strings were got from some professor at western university in london ontario. i reached this person by landline telephone and asked if they knew where to get roughly .13 gauge piano wire, 'about 25 feet' …i was at the college across the city i'll add, not the university

so he says, no problem…..i have it…. ill give you a whole roll …..told i could pick it up in a certain building on campus (3rd floor?) … it will be a sheet size yellow envelope tacked to the hallway bulletin board with your name.

i went after dark off hours and sure enough it was there….wrapped in some kind of wax paper with a real label on it …..it's a lifetime supply of this shit i thought!

…i still have the miles long roll….

so this sitar... half the fretboard is scalloped (other half gives the insane long neck some stabillity)….of which to tune the thing in normal playing position my left arm is fully reaching for the machine heads

6 strings. 4 are drones not fretted by fingers usually but can be done …..2 strings are over scallops and the spacing between all the strings is not consistent. tunings?….many different ways

bridge is nice hardwood though ….and it doesnt look like a counter top …only from the back

first instrument i 'built' …not that bullshit shoe box and rubber band thing we made as kids

pictures and sound would be better (another time)

thats very cool. Post a sound check of Within You Without You if the spirit moves you.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad