OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The Apple Originals I’ve watched or heard people enjoy.

For All Mankind - An alternate history drama about what if the Russians made it into space before the US. I’m a space but so I really enjoy this show.

Mythic Quest - pretty good sitcom based around an MMO company. Had very solid Covid special episodes that were funny while also having some good messages.

See - my wife likes this show and I think it’s ok. Jason Momoa is solid in it. It’s about a future society where everyone is blind and what would happen if some people started to have sight. Action/Drama show.

Morning Show - I haven’t watched it but my buddy and parents both thought it had a good first season. About the machinations behind the scenes at a Good Morning America style show.

Servant - M Night Shamalyn horror show. I don’t know much about to but my buddy liked it.

——————-

Depending on your time those are the shows on the platform I’ve watched or heard about and may be binge worth for trialists if the genre is a match.

Servant is worth watching. It's hard to explain even what it is without spoilers. I wouldn't even call it horror, it's more like a drama mixed in with some horror / supernatural aspects. It's definitely not for everyone but at least give it a shot and see if you enjoy it.

I think M Night said he has the whole story planned out too so we will get a proper ending too. I think he said he had plans for 4 seasons but don't quote me on that. Season 3 starts in January I believe.

Reactions: Devils731

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Watched 2-1/2 episodes of Wheel of Time. I don’t know what it is with this show, I just can’t stay awake when it’s on. So far it’s very meh, feels kinda cheesy almost like something on SyFy.

Right now all the main characters are broken up into pairs and I just don’t give a shit about any of them, was hoping the wolves would take some of them out lol.

Not off to a great start for me but I’ll give it a few more episodes.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Just finished You're the Worst. I think the way they did the flashforwards in the last season were weird, but the outcomes for the characters made sense with their backstory on the show.

Going to start binging through What We Do in the Shadows now. We started it on Halloween and watched a few episodes and liked it, but haven't had a chance to get back to it yet while we've been going through You're the Worst.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Watched 2-1/2 episodes of Wheel of Time. I don’t know what it is with this show, I just can’t stay awake when it’s on. So far it’s very meh, feels kinda cheesy almost like something on SyFy.

Right now all the main characters are broken up into pairs and I just don’t give a shit about any of them, was hoping the wolves would take some of them out lol.

Not off to a great start for me but I’ll give it a few more episodes.

SyFy is the perfect way to describe that show. Hopefully they didn’t spend huge on the budget because it definitely doesn’t seem like it with the quality of the show besides the main actress and some of the CGI baddies.

Just finished You're the Worst. I think the way they did the flashforwards in the last season were weird, but the outcomes for the characters made sense with their backstory on the show.

Going to start binging through What We Do in the Shadows now. We started it on Halloween and watched a few episodes and liked it, but haven't had a chance to get back to it yet while we've been going through You're the Worst.

We really liked Your the Worst but fell off after the first 2 or 3 seasons. I’m not even sure how many they ended up doing.

Reactions: JK3

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This SNL sketch was amusing on its own, but I didn't know until today it was a parody of a real video. The original might be even funnier.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I was wrong about our next show to binge. We ended up starting The Mandalorian instead. I've heard good things and I like Star Wars, so I'm excited to see where it goes.

I've watched it 3x through. Excellent rewatch value - something new you pick up on ea. time. Some of the tightest story telling and editing I've ever seen.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I thought Mando S1 was good for most of it. It still had its down episodes but most of it was really good. I thought the 2nd season absolutely sucked.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Think it went from being in that sweet spot of fun but still epic to kinda too campy, Hercules/Xena-style. Still love it though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Season 2 was a lot of "Favreau and Filoni play the hits" with the characters they brought in (or name dropped), and as a fan of those characters I absolutely loved it. I can see why some would prefer the first season though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Season 2 was a lot of "Favreau and Filoni play the hits" with the characters they brought in (or name dropped), and as a fan of those characters I absolutely loved it. I can see why some would prefer the first season though.

The reasons you said you absolutely loved it are the reasons I absolutely hated it lol. Really not a fan of the blatant fan service. It was a lot of "hey look at these things you like, isn't this cool?".

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The reasons you said you absolutely loved it are the reasons I absolutely hated it lol. Really not a fan of the blatant fan service. It was a lot of "hey look at these things you like, isn't this cool?".

I get that, and I agree fan service when it doesn't fit the story or feels forced is bad. To me those characters showing up made sense within the story being told so they didn't feel forced or just dropped there for "Isn't it cool" reasons. Although I will admit that sometimes it feels like the Star Wars galaxy is kind of small with how often some of these characters keep showing up.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I get that, and I agree fan service when it doesn't fit the story or feels forced is bad. To me those characters showing up made sense within the story being told so they didn't feel forced or just dropped there for "Isn't it cool" reasons. Although I will admit that sometimes it feels like the Star Wars galaxy is kind of small with how often some of these characters keep showing up.

It probably would’ve bothered me more if I was super invested with the show. If I loved S1 rather than just liked it then me hating S2 probably would’ve hurt more. It also helped that TRoS legitimately crushed my f***ing soul and made me hardly care about Star Wars anymore

Reactions: RangerDoggo and JK3

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It probably would’ve bothered me more if I was super invested with the show. If I loved S1 rather than just liked it then me hating S2 probably would’ve hurt more. It also helped that TRoS legitimately crushed my f***ing soul and made me hardly care about Star Wars anymore

I am an original Star Wars fan. I was about 10 when the first movie came out. It looked like nothing I’d ever seen before. I was too young to watch 2001 and it blew away Star Trek. I loved it. I also loved Empire and enjoyed Return of the Jedi even if I didn’t love it. I enjoyed the prequels although I think it was more the novelty and by the end of episode three I could take my kids to see it. None of then were great even if they were nostalgic for me. Episode 7 was ok. Episode 8 was less ok. Episode 9 was ok more or less. I’ve seen Solo and Rogue One. In my view there are a few good Star Wars movies. The rest being meh to middling. Mandalorian was well made to my eyes and a fun watch. The ending was emotional in a good way for me. I really liked the man with no name feel to the show. I’d rate it up there with any of the better movies. It’s a shame they didn’t get a better trilogy than 7-8-9. I’m not sure where they go with another movie at this point.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well they were supposed to do the Rogue Squadron movie (which I've wanted a movie or series about forever) next but that's been delayed indefinitely now.:whatever:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So far Hawkeye is showing me that it has the potential to be my favorite of the Disney+ shows. Good tie in to the past with an interesting story that fits between movies. Fantastic supporting cast and Christmas themed = I’ve enjoyed it.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I am an original Star Wars fan. I was about 10 when the first movie came out. It looked like nothing I’d ever seen before. I was too young to watch 2001 and it blew away Star Trek. I loved it. I also loved Empire and enjoyed Return of the Jedi even if I didn’t love it. I enjoyed the prequels although I think it was more the novelty and by the end of episode three I could take my kids to see it. None of then were great even if they were nostalgic for me. Episode 7 was ok. Episode 8 was less ok. Episode 9 was ok more or less. I’ve seen Solo and Rogue One. In my view there are a few good Star Wars movies. The rest being meh to middling. Mandalorian was well made to my eyes and a fun watch. The ending was emotional in a good way for me. I really liked the man with no name feel to the show. I’d rate it up there with any of the better movies. It’s a shame they didn’t get a better trilogy than 7-8-9. I’m not sure where they go with another movie at this point.

I grew up through the prequels and was pretty Star Wars obsessed as a little kid. Then I fell out of it for a while until the lead up to TFA. That’s when I became crazed again. I had seen the OT but I didn’t really watch it until that point. I loved ANH and ESB. I think RoTJ is pretty bad. I got into TCW and Rebels at that point as well. Loved TCW and liked Rebels. I loved TFA and it immediately jumped near the top for me. Sure it was derivative of ANH but I really loved the characters. I loved R1 when it came out but I've liked it way less and less over time because there's just like nothing really to the movie. TLJ is legitimately favorite movie of all time. Solo was enjoyable when I saw it but not something I've thought about since or have any interest in rewatching. TRoS is my least favorite movie ever. To me it ended the saga on an incredibly depressing and hopeless note which is the antithesis of what Star Wars is supposed to be and it killed my love for the franchise. I don't even want to go back and rewatch anything knowing how it all ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think I've watched all the Disney era Star Wars films at least a half dozen times now...except TROS which I have not and have no desire to watch again. It was such a blatant attempt to apologize to the fans who hated TLJ that I think it just pissed off those who did actually enjoy TLJ (or at least half of it like I did). As much as I like Palpatine as a character, bringing him back was lazy and one of those "Hey isn't it cool" moments that we talked about earlier that did feel forced.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think I've watched all the Disney era Star Wars films at least a half dozen times now...except TROS which I have not and have no desire to watch again. It was such a blatant attempt to apologize to the fans who hated TLJ that I think it just pissed off those who did actually enjoy TLJ (or at least half of it like I did). As much as I like Palpatine as a character, bringing him back was lazy and one of those "Hey isn't it cool" moments that we talked about earlier that did feel forced.

Not to mention the announcement that Palpy was going to be in the movie..came from a Fortnite game event speech. So dumb and disconnected from reality

My3Sons

Sponsor
As I Oates earlier I enjoyed Star Wars but it was not great cinema for h to r most part. Plenty of its elements were mishandled. The one thing Disney did that made sense was to get Favreau to do the Mandalorian. If that wasn’t done I think Star Wars would be on the way out other than maybe the animation.

My3Sons

Sponsor
So the amazing bit of the first part of Get Back/Let It Be is that McCartney made up Get Back pretty much just riffing while three of them were waiting for John to show up one morning during the recordings. Truly genius and it’s caught on camera. If you have an interest in music history it’s worth the watch . Roughly an hour into part one.

This is so bittersweet for me. While it’s wonderful to have this restored footage and to see and hear stuff that has been buried in crappy bootleg tapes it’s still sad to watch them fall apart. It’s also sad for me because this is probably the last of the archival material that they will release.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mentioned it in the TAN, but maybe it's better here. The Oculus. VR. I used it today and thought it was great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad