OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Won't happen but I'd jut prefer to see them go with OG team for a couple of movies. 2nd movie ends with Krakoa. 3rd movie is Giant-Sized #1

They would be smart to at least start off with that original team just to have the 30-50 year old parents finally be happy. Krakoa would be amazing but it kindve feels like the new Suicide Squad stole some of that thunder.

Reactions: Hisch13r

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yup. I also wouldn't mind if that's just the starting point.

i had that comic book when I was a kid. The guy who would watch me and my brothers when my folks went out for dinner or a party went to a comic convention and got that for me. I had no idea at the time it was a big deal.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
For me, 3 of the 4 tv series have been really fun and the other was still pretty good.

I have only really liked one of the TV series, but they are leaps and bounds better than movies. TV shows these days allow for more development and better story telling in general for the most part.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah everything after endgame has not been great for the most part. I was already tired of super hero stuff before endgame too. Really Disney has overly saturated the market.

I loved Spider-Man. Wandvision might be my favorite thing in the MCU. Falcon and Winter Soldier was fine. Loki was fine. I liked Black Widow. Shang-Chi great. Eternals was fine. I think it’s had it’s share of great things and fine things. I’m really looking forward to things like Spider-Man, Thor, Guardians, Moon Knight. Eventually F4 and X-Men. I think it’ll pick back up again

Reactions: Ripshot 43

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah everything after endgame has not been great for the most part. I was already tired of super hero stuff before endgame too. Really Disney has overly saturated the market.
I punched out a while ago, never even saw Endgame, I just don't care anymore. To me they're just churned out cookie cutter CGI shit fests with the same formula made by a massive company that owns a printing machine. I still cant believe how many people actually like them, and that's fine of course but it's not for me.

Do any of these movies actually advance a story or even have and overarching story anymore? Seems like they just exist only to justify another sequel, another spin off show or introduce more obscure characters for more spin offs.

My3Sons

Sponsor
i am fully invested in the mcu because im a f***ing nerd

i read comics as a kid and liked them. As an adult I’ve enjoyed the movies but some are better than others. I thought Iron Man 3 was lame in that they created an artificial construct to avoid having any other Avengers help him. The Black Widow movie was ok but really needed to be made after Civil War to be worthwhile. The current movie is meh to me. None of the characters really grabbed me and the bigger issues in the movie were more or less glossed over. The construct to explain where they were for Endgame was meh to me also. I have enjoyed the tv shows more than the recent movies. I’m looking forward to the next Spider man movie. That looks fun.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Some more shameless self promo.

My acoustic album "While We're Here" came out on Spotify/Apple Music/Everywhere else last week.
Since I'm extremely impatient, I've also been working on a full band instrumental album and I just posted the first song.

Hope you all like it.

Bigger Smaller Guitar Man L'Auberge - YouTube

that was very good. It sounded well produced and very smooth for a multi-layered piece.

Reactions: Bleedred

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Finally got around to watching Parasite last night. Really good movie.

Seeing it after watching Squid Game, I was struck by how many of the themes paralleled each other.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I punched out a while ago, never even saw Endgame, I just don't care anymore. To me they're just churned out cookie cutter CGI shit fests with the same formula made by a massive company that owns a printing machine. I still cant believe how many people actually like them, and that's fine of course but it's not for me.

Do any of these movies actually advance a story or even have and overarching story anymore? Seems like they just exist only to justify another sequel, another spin off show or introduce more obscure characters for more spin offs.
It took ten years for them to build up to Endgame, so I'm going to guess that these films have an overarching storyline. If you're a fan of the comics you can speculate as to which direction they're headed and that's part of the fun imo.

Eternals was an absolute clunker but again, I can see the point of it and where it's potentially going.

Shang-Chi was a phenomenal film whether you like this genre or not. WandaVision and Loki also had me pretty engaged and are obviously setting up for something much larger than quite possibly the infinity saga itself.

We also have yet to see mutants (besides Wanda) in this iteration of Marvel films so that should lend to probably another decade of of quality characters to delve in to.

With Guardians, Spider-Man, and Dr Strange up next I can't imagine we won't have answers. These films will also dictate the near future of how profitable this franchise will or won't continue to be.

I get it if people aren't fans in general, but I'd say most are still engaged.

Reactions: Ripshot 43 and JK3

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Shang-Chi was awesome and didn't feel like a Marvel film at all. I think it's definitely one of the better origin story/stand alone films in the MCU.

I definitely feel like the all of closure of Endgame combined with the production halt of COVID really killed a lot of the appetite for the MCU. WandaVision was pretty good, Loki was fun, Falcon and Winter Soldier was...okay. SpiderMan FFH was decent. I liked Black Widow but I don't know if I'd call it good. Haven't seen Eternals yet and might not for a while.

Definitely feeling burnt out from all of the Marvel properties. I have no interest at all in seeing another Avengers film or Fantastic 4 or X-Men or any of the big ensemble properties. I *AM* really interested in the pivot to the darker supernatural stuff like Moon Knight and Blade, maybe that will rekindle my interest.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
My biggest problem with the new marvel movies, besides being too much and overly formulaic, is that it seems like they dont have any real direction with this phase of movies unlike the previous phases.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
My biggest problem with the new marvel movies, besides being too much and overly formulaic, is that it seems like they dont have any real direction with this phase of movies unlike the previous phases.

After Avengers finished phase 1 I don't think phase 2 had any real direction they were moving towards. There seems to be a bit of that going on but I'd say it's definitely better than that and you can see where some of the stuff is building.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
i read comics as a kid and liked them. As an adult I’ve enjoyed the movies but some are better than others. I thought Iron Man 3 was lame in that they created an artificial construct to avoid having any other Avengers help him. The Black Widow movie was ok but really needed to be made after Civil War to be worthwhile. The current movie is meh to me. None of the characters really grabbed me and the bigger issues in the movie were more or less glossed over. The construct to explain where they were for Endgame was meh to me also. I have enjoyed the tv shows more than the recent movies. I’m looking forward to the next Spider man movie. That looks fun.

i'm a sucker for a cohesive universe - be it in a game, movie, series, or anime

worldbuilding gets me off

My3Sons

Sponsor
After Avengers finished phase 1 I don't think phase 2 had any real direction they were moving towards. There seems to be a bit of that going on but I'd say it's definitely better than that and you can see where some of the stuff is building.

I think the problem is as the MCU develops it gets harder and harder to tell smaller self contained stories. An origin story, sure, but at some point the super powered person would get on the Shield radar and somebody would be there to make an introduction and decide if the super powered individual is friend or foe. Once the new character is integrated into the wider MCU it's tricky to come up with reasons to isolate the character. You could come up with a Dr. Strange story that only he can handle but it would be artificial to leave out the Wong character. Moreover, if it was a big enough threat, wouldn't he at least try to get help from other sorcerers rather than just take on a big threat himself? I don't see how Spiderman battles big villains without screwing it up enough that Hogan doesn't check in with him and realize that Parker needs help and somebody shows up even without Stark being around. I could see Hogan staying in touch with with Banner and Hill/Fury for instance. I don't expect every movie to be an Avengers movie but I do notice it when they artificially exclude obvious ensembles and for some reason that's where I struggle to suspend my disbelief. Still, it's all just light entertainment so you have to temper your expectations.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I agree. I love me some good world building.

Probably why I love Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson type novelists ect

Im re-reading all of Sanderson starting with Elantris and Mistborn first trilogy.

Then I’ll be reading Mistborn second trilogy and Stormlight Archives as brand new.

I love Sanderson so I’m happy to dive back into his works. I got away from reading a bit so it’s exciting having so many new(to me) novels.

—————

Still waiting for Rothfuss to finish Kingkiller Chronicles too. That only had a 2017 ETA originally.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad