OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Woof. You don't need to go that hardcore.

The original Frank Herbert books are good though.

It was definitely really weird but I honestly expected even weird given it’s Dune and Lynch. It was worth it just for the absolute absurdity that Thufir’s antidote came from milking a cat. Lynch gonna Lynch

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Definitely seems like I'm just in the minority here but didn't know anything about Dune going into it besides knowing there was a book and an old movie and that the trailer for this movie looked cool.

Have about an hour left in the movie but I've generally been just bored by it and just don't care about any of the characters and don't find any of them particularly likeable. Also found the audio mixing to be awful, many times the dialogue was way too low. Just don't think this movie is for me.

Last edited:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Definitely seems like I'm just in the minority here but didn't know anything about Dune going into it besides knowing there was a book and an old movie and that the trailer for this movie looked cool.

Have about an hour left in the movie but I've generally been just bored by it and just don't care about any of the characters and don't find any of them particularly likeable. Also found the audio mixing to be awful, many times the dialogue was way too low. Just don't think this movie is for me.
Yeah I heard it’s a bit of a slow burner. Dune is probably one of nerdiest franchises out there and might not translate well for normies (which I am), it’s not like a Star Wars where everyone knows at least a little something about it. Not really sure if it has as much of a broad appeal as they would have hoped beyond people that are familiar with it.

I tried numerous times to make it through the movie from the 80’s but couldn’t do it. I definitely want to see this one though, looks like it has some great actors and performances as well as some stunning visuals. I don’t mind a slower moving sci-fi flick and it’s probably setting up the second movie where they’ll go balls out.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Im with you on not knowing Dune before this movie. All I knew was it was a book lots of people were reading and it had giant sand worms in it, so sometimes I would confuse it with Beatleguise :laugh:. I on the other side, liked this movie. It did feel like it was more setting up for the next movie but it kept my attention enough for someone who won’t stay with a show or movie if it doesn’t grab me early on.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Finished up You last night. Binged all three seasons in about two weeks. It's a solid show. Far fetched but I feel like everything is now anyway. It's a good watch though. I'd recommend it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Watched The Harder They Fall last night. I seem to be on a Westerns kick lately again. Although it's a very stylized, Tarantinoesque Western. The cast alone is worth it (Idris Elba, Jonathon Majors, Regina King, Zazie Beetz, just to name a few). The gun fights are pretty graphic at times though, so be warned if that kind of stuff bothers you.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
For anyone that thinks the superhero genre is over saturated and on the down swing… Disney just doubled down and they haven’t even introduced 2 teams that will be bigger than the Avengers were.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
For anyone that thinks the superhero genre is over saturated and on the down swing… Disney just doubled down and they haven’t even introduced 2 teams that will be bigger than the Avengers were.

The F4 and X-Men will 100% not be bigger than the Avengers were and this is coming from a massive X-Men fan who has read like 80-90% of all X-Men comics. Just because they were the bigger comic teams doesn't mean it'll translate. Endgame's literally 50 million off being the biggest movie of all time

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The F4 and X-Men will not be bigger than the Avengers were and this is coming from someone who has read like 80-90% of all X-Men comics. Just because they were the bigger comic teams doesn't mean it'll translate. Endgame's literally 50 million off being the biggest movie of all time

Personally I believe if they cast right they have a chance. If not, they will still be close and that just means 20+ more years. They are also lining up the 2nd Avengers team, the Young Avengers and the Dark Avengers or whichever iteration Elaine is gearing towards. Point being… they aren’t going anywhere or slowing down.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Personally I believe if they cast right they have a chance. If not, they will still be close and that just means 20+ more years. They are also lining up the 2nd Avengers team, the Young Avengers and the Dark Avengers or whichever iteration Elaine is gearing towards. Point being… they aren’t going anywhere or slowing down.

On the whole yeah they won't ever hit the highs they've already hit but they're not going anywhere and will continue to be the most relevant thing when it comes to movies and TV. I'm really hoping they nail the X-Men but I'm very cautious and concerned it'll be the Wolverine show again in the main X-Men stuff and I personally have no interest in that at all. The best X-Men stuff is when he's sidelined to a support character. Let him shine in his solo stuff or X-Force. Hopefully they realize the depth of the mutant roster and that you can easily focus on other characters like Scott or Emma or Kitty or Storm or Kurt or etc.. Also hoping they branch off and make at least some of New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, Generation X, Academy X.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Elaine Elaine Elaine

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
On the whole yeah they won't ever hit the highs they've already hit but they're not going anywhere and will continue to be the most relevant thing when it comes to movies and TV. I'm really hoping they nail the X-Men but I'm very cautious and concerned it'll be the Wolverine show again in the main X-Men stuff and I personally have no interest in that at all. The best X-Men stuff is when he's sidelined to a support character. Let him shine in his solo stuff or X-Force. Hopefully they realize the depth of the mutant roster and that you can easily focus on other characters like Scott or Emma or Kitty or Storm or Kurt or etc.. Also hoping they branch off and make at least some of New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, Generation X, Academy X.

Now your speaking to my childhood. I bet Excalibur is in the plans of the near future too with Black Knight being introduced and Henry Cavill recently being quoted as saying he would love to play Captain Britain. They would be silly not to take him up on that and get it started much like Ali wanting to play Blade.

Reactions: Hisch13r

My3Sons

Sponsor
Now your speaking to my childhood. I bet Excalibur is in the plans of the near future too with Black Knight being introduced and Henry Cavill recently being quoted as saying he would love to play Captain Britain. They would be silly not to take him up on that and get it started much like Ali wanting to play Blade.

Aren’t these movies years away? They have Thot 4, Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2 (curious how they work this), Spider Man 3, and Guardians 3 to do before they get to the new characters.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Aren’t these movies years away? They have Thot 4, Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2 (curious how they work this), Spider Man 3, and Guardians 3 to do before they get to the new characters.

Oh, absolutely. Fiege has said that he always has the plans for the MCU mapped out for 10 years in advance. All the movies you listed are either filmed or about to be. Then add in all the Disney +’shows already filming. They are adding tons of characters just in the next year. The next huge step will be casting the FF which is in early development and then the X Men which they may go the slow burn way and introduce characters 1 by 1.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oh, absolutely. Fiege has said that he always has the plans for the MCU mapped out for 10 years in advance. All the movies you listed are either filmed or about to be. Then add in all the Disney +’shows already filming. They are adding tons of characters just in the next year. The next huge step will be casting the FF which is in early development and then the X Men which they may go the slow burn way and introduce characters 1 by 1.

Elaine is sort of old to have a long term role in these movies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Won't happen but I'd jut prefer to see them go with OG team for a couple of movies. 2nd movie ends with Krakoa. 3rd movie is Giant-Sized #1

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Elaine is sort of old to have a long term role in these movies.

She’s more being set up to be the Fury but for the bad guys. Just a small role in movies here or there while she’s pulling the strings off camera mainly.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad