OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Im re-reading all of Sanderson starting with Elantris and Mistborn first trilogy.

Then I’ll be reading Mistborn second trilogy and Stormlight Archives as brand new.

I love Sanderson so I’m happy to dive back into his works. I got away from reading a bit so it’s exciting having so many new(to me) novels.

—————

Still waiting for Rothfuss to finish Kingkiller Chronicles too. That only had a 2017 ETA originally.

Nice! Have fun! I still need to finish the newest Stormlight books. But they are a doozy!

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I think the problem is as the MCU develops it gets harder and harder to tell smaller self contained stories. An origin story, sure, but at some point the super powered person would get on the Shield radar and somebody would be there to make an introduction and decide if the super powered individual is friend or foe. Once the new character is integrated into the wider MCU it's tricky to come up with reasons to isolate the character. You could come up with a Dr. Strange story that only he can handle but it would be artificial to leave out the Wong character. Moreover, if it was a big enough threat, wouldn't he at least try to get help from other sorcerers rather than just take on a big threat himself? I don't see how Spiderman battles big villains without screwing it up enough that Hogan doesn't check in with him and realize that Parker needs help and somebody shows up even without Stark being around. I could see Hogan staying in touch with with Banner and Hill/Fury for instance. I don't expect every movie to be an Avengers movie but I do notice it when they artificially exclude obvious ensembles and for some reason that's where I struggle to suspend my disbelief. Still, it's all just light entertainment so you have to temper your expectations.
That's literally the plot to one of the "uncanny" books.

Shield and the x-men eventually go to war.

Not saying that's how it will play out in the films, but to act as if it's preposterous isn't necessarily true to canon.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That's literally the plot to one of the "uncanny" books.

Shield and the x-men eventually go to war.

Not saying that's how it will play out in the films, but to act as if it's preposterous isn't necessarily true to canon.

Which story? Are you talking about like Cyclops is Right Bendis era stuff with like Matthew Malloy?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Anyone watch Succession on HBO? Just started it and I’m already starting season 3. Great drama.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My wife and I watched and liked the first 2 seasons. We're waiting on watching season 3 until they all air, so we can binge them all at once.

The way season 2 just ended, I had to at least start season 3!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The way they insult each other is amazing. Also how characters like Tom flip on a dime always cracks me up.

The writing on that show is truly excellent. Dialogue is sharp, the characters are flawed in interesting ways, and they react to situations in a believable manner.

All completely unlikable sociopaths, but you still find yourself rooting for them every once in a while despite that. That's good writing.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Alright, I’m all over the place now. Still catching up on Succession by myself as I have time but I’ve started…

Cowboy Bebop (I’ve never seen the anime before)

The Wheel of Time

and
Hellbound…

has anyone seen or watched any of these?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Alright, I’m all over the place now. Still catching up on Succession by myself as I have time but I’ve started…

Cowboy Bebop (I’ve never seen the anime before)

The Wheel of Time

and
Hellbound…

has anyone seen or watched any of these?

I've only seen the first episode of the live-action Cowboy Bebop, and I...like it.

I've seen the anime a few times and loved it. I don't love the live-action nearly as much, but I think it's pretty good.

A lot of people who really loved the anime absolutely hate it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah I really really could not stand the new cow boy bebop show. It is really way too dumb and does not keep the spirit of the orginial at all.

Ive watched one episode of The Wheel of time and its production quality is ehhh and does not seem like it will live up to the books, but it still seems intriguing enough to go on.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I watched the first episode of Wheel of Time and was neither really impressed or disappointed. The effects looked kind of iffy, although I think most magic from fantasy book series is kind of hard to adapt visually for a TV series. I think the castings for Moiraine, Lan, and Tam were really good, but I'm doubtful of Rand, Mat, and Perrin, which make me kind of wary given how they are the key figures of the series. But I did only watch the first episode, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I watched the first episode of Wheel of Time and was neither really impressed or disappointed. The effects looked kind of iffy, although I think most magic from fantasy book series is kind of hard to adapt visually for a TV series. I think the castings for Moiraine, Lan, and Tam were really good, but I'm doubtful of Rand, Mat, and Perrin, which make me kind of wary given how they are the key figures of the series. But I did only watch the first episode, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

I did the first 3 this weekend. I’m enjoying it well enough but fantasy is a genre I like; I don’t think I would give it a blanket recommendation outside of people who like the genre right now.

It’s where I was at with Foundation too. I like it but I’m not sure it’s strong enough to recommend unless I really know the person’s taste.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The finale of Foundation was great imo. Superb setup to several seasons and some good mind-bender stuff that is far easier to decipher than say Westworld or other heady sci-fi series.

Still need to watch Dune.

Nice to hear good things about foundation, I've been meaning to watch that one.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The finale of Foundation was great imo. Superb setup to several seasons and some good mind-bender stuff that is far easier to decipher than say Westworld or other heady sci-fi series.

Still need to watch Dune.

I've heard Foundation is good, but it's on Apple TV, which I don't have and am not planning to get.

Dune is well worth the time. I've watched it twice. I think it leaves HBO streaming at the end of the month though, so you'll need to get on that soon.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I've heard Foundation is good, but it's on Apple TV, which I don't have and am not planning to get.

Dune is well worth the time. I've watched it twice. I think it leaves HBO streaming at the end of the month though, so you'll need to get on that soon.

Dune actually left HBO yesterday. They keep the new releases in for 30 days so it doesn’t have to follow month end.

AppleTV has some solid shows and is pretty cheap. I think they’re also giving a 7 day free trial so you may be able to line up your schedule and binge Foundation. I enjoyed the show so I’m hoping it will get enough legs to continue.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Apple TV for me is one of those services not worth paying for yet. They don’t have enough top end exclusive shows or movies to be worth paying a monthly subscription when compared to other companies like Netflix or Hulu. When my free year ends I will cancel and hold out till Ted Lassos next season airs and then I will pay for just a month to watch it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Dune actually left HBO yesterday. They keep the new releases in for 30 days so it doesn’t have to follow month end.

AppleTV has some solid shows and is pretty cheap. I think they’re also giving a 7 day free trial so you may be able to line up your schedule and binge Foundation. I enjoyed the show so I’m hoping it will get enough legs to continue.

Cool, I might try that. Ted Lasso is another show I would consider binging during a free trial. I've heard that's good too.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Cool, I might try that. Ted Lasso is another show I would consider binging during a free trial. I've heard that's good too.

The Apple Originals I’ve watched or heard people enjoy.

For All Mankind - An alternate history drama about what if the Russians made it into space before the US. I’m a space but so I really enjoy this show.

Mythic Quest - pretty good sitcom based around an MMO company. Had very solid Covid special episodes that were funny while also having some good messages.

See - my wife likes this show and I think it’s ok. Jason Momoa is solid in it. It’s about a future society where everyone is blind and what would happen if some people started to have sight. Action/Drama show.

Morning Show - I haven’t watched it but my buddy and parents both thought it had a good first season. About the machinations behind the scenes at a Good Morning America style show.

Servant - M Night Shamalyn horror show. I don’t know much about to but my buddy liked it.

——————-

Depending on your time those are the shows on the platform I’ve watched or heard about and may be binge worth for trialists if the genre is a match.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The key to all this is to find friends / family who each subscribe to some of these services and then share logins among the group. My girlfriend's parents pay for HBO, Showtime, and Apple TV. We give them Hulu, Netflix and one or two others.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The Apple Originals I’ve watched or heard people enjoy.

For All Mankind - An alternate history drama about what if the Russians made it into space before the US. I’m a space but so I really enjoy this show.

Servant - M Night Shamalyn horror show. I don’t know much about to but my buddy liked it.

I liked both of these very much and I generally do not like anything horror-esque but Servant is more mystery/supernatural than horror imo.

Invasion is really good too.

Original movies have been good. Tom Hanks in two of them - Finch and Greyhound both solid. Palmer with Justin Timberlake was a good watch too.

GyoKGqf.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad