OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Finished watching Arcane. It’s been kicking around on the Netflix title page and I thought what is this crap, anime, some kiddie cartoon based off a video game? I usually wouldn’t watch something like this but saw it recommended everywhere and figured what the hell.

Holy crap, I gotta admit it’s the best thing I’ve watched in a long time. Great storytelling, characters, music. The animation blew me away too, next level stuff.

I was totally skeptical but give it a shot, it’s really good.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Spiderman. What can I say?

This thing is top 5 in the mcu, easily.

Just when I thought I couldn't be excited about the mcu any time soon they reeled (double entendres, I have them) me right back in.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think we're going to watch the new (final?) episodes of Money Heist because we've watched the whole series up to now and it would feel weird not to complete it.

But I think that's an example of a show that had a good thing going in its first couple seasons, then disappeared up its own ass trying to top itself. This last season has made increasingly less sense with every episode.

Even the name Money Heist is stupid too. The original Spanish name, La Casa de Papel ("The House of Paper") would have been way better.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Finished watching Arcane. It’s been kicking around on the Netflix title page and I thought what is this crap, anime, some kiddie cartoon based off a video game? I usually wouldn’t watch something like this but saw it recommended everywhere and figured what the hell.

Holy crap, I gotta admit it’s the best thing I’ve watched in a long time. Great storytelling, characters, music. The animation blew me away too, next level stuff.

I was totally skeptical but give it a shot, it’s really good.

Same exact thing for me. Thought it was just going to be some weak filler but wow, solid writing and characters and beautiful world building and animation.

If someone appreciates Into the Spider Verse, they'll appreciate this one.

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Same exact thing for me. Thought it was just going to be some weak filler but wow, solid writing and characters and beautiful world building and animation.

I've never seen Into the Spider Verse but have heard the comparisons.

I'm honestly in shock at how good it is compared to all the crap that's out there and I mean TV shows, movies, Netfix/Amazon series, not just animated stuff. It's extremely well done in every aspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I've never seen Into the Spider Verse but have heard the comparisons.

I'm honestly in shock at how good it is compared to all the crap that's out there and I mean TV shows, movies, Netfix/Amazon series, not just animated stuff. It's extremely well done in every aspect.

I hated the trailers for Spiderverse but after giving it a shot, I learned to love the animation style and the movie overall is top notch for an animated. My 2 kids can’t get enough of it either.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Speaking of Spider-Man… just saw No Way Home and I loved it. Not going to say anything else to avoid spoilers for all you fine people. First early impression is that it’s my favorite of the 3 and I’m fans of the first 2 and Tom Holland.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I also just got out of Spider-Man. Great movie if you like the MCU or Spider-Man.

My theater broke into cheers or applause 3 or 4 times. That’s not my thing but it shows how into the movie people were. This was an otherwise a well behaved crowd.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I also just got out of Spider-Man. Great movie if you like the MCU or Spider-Man.

My theater broke into cheers or applause 3 or 4 times. That’s not my thing but it shows how into the movie people were. This was an otherwise a well behaved crowd.

Same for my theater. Our go to is Saturday around noon so we don’t have to be in big crowds (this was long before Covid) and this was the most people I’ve seen in a theater for a good 6-7 years.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

My theater erupted several times during the film. Same experience in regards to a well behaved crowd.

People were audibly crying at points as well.

I'm probably going to see it again within the next few days. It really was that good, and Spider-Man has never even really been my jam.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Started the Beatles "Get Back" doc. Wow, if you're a hardcore fan or spent a lot of time playing in bands, it's great. Just finished Episode 2.

My respect for Lennon grew even greater. A lot of emotional intelligence relative to Paul and you can see how much Paul needs that counter-weight. Feel bad for George but at the same time, quit being a little bitch and practice more if you want them to respect you, haha. It's funny how they're like any other band, messing around, kind of playing things shitty and then it all gels together the more they work at it instead of chatting.

Yeah, you might be right. I've been in that situation before a couple times in the Paul/John/"bossman" role so I tend to be more sympathetic to their sort of view.

I also view George's earlier work (pre-White Album) as stuff that was elevated by the others (i.e. Paul's guitar on Taxman is a clear one or the effects on Blue Jay Way). I also think that George's forays into Indian music are a little superficial - the melody in Martha My Dear is like a much smarter English/Indian hybrid to me. Ditto for Tomorrow Never Knows, if you get me? Like George is more literal about the Eastern influence but Paul and John get the sentiment behind it.

just finished part one….and man, being someone who plays music and been in studio sessions a lot of this rings true…. it can be tedious, frustrating even boring at times. its still its enjoyable but im guesing not as what most people might think its like

also noticed paul playing hie bass more than once like a guitar player would play strumming chords which makes sense as the hofner bass he has is a short scale neck and its easier to make chords than say his rickenbacker which has a massive scale length
…just never seen footage of this before

(i know this as i have a knock off beatle bass from the 60's and play chords on it as well)

…and man…after george left …. yoko singing on the mic while they were f***ing around….glad there was only a short bit of that

and holy shit they smoked a ton of cigarettes

doing part 2 tonight seeing as no hockey

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
just finished part one….and man, being someone who plays music and been in studio sessions a lot of this rings true…. it can be tedious, frustrating even boring at times. its still its enjoyable but im guesing not as what most people might think its like

also noticed paul playing hie bass more than once like a guitar player would play strumming chords which makes sense as the hofner bass he has is a short scale neck and its easier to make chords than say his rickenbacker which has a massive scale length
…just never seen footage of this before

(i know this as i have a knock off beatle bass from the 60's and play chords on it as well)

…and man…after george left …. yoko singing on the mic while they were f***ing around….glad there was only a short bit of that

and holy shit they smoked a ton of cigarettes

doing part 2 tonight seeing as no hockey

Yeah, I think the series does a good job of showing how that collective vibe - synergy or whatever - is an earned thing, even for the best bands. You have to grind a little bit before you get the good stuff. I was surprised by Paul's strumming on the Hofner too, though I wonder how much of it was just trying to get the full picture across to the guys. Seeing that setup also makes the sound of Let It Be (the record) a little more understandable. Grew up feeling like it was a bit of a sonic letdown compared to the others. Glyn Johns is one of the greatest but you can see him biting his lip a bit, hah.

For sure, I was thinking that I see a lot of people still smoking cigarettes these days and then I watched that doc and f***, everyone's on the loosey patrol.

My initial comments on George were too harsh. I see how he felt like the little brother a bit too much. I've always just had a mentality of, "Prove them wrong and make them respect you," but it's hard thing to do a decade into it with friends. He ultimately did match them on the last three records.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I watched the first 3 episodes of Station Eleven, it's apparently based on a book from 2014 but it starts off as a super extreme version of covid and then trails off into a bit of weirdness. Really haven't made up my mind about it yet but gonna keep watching.

Also have been watching yellowjackets, it's about a story of a New Jersey girls high school soccer team's plane who crashed and goes back and forth from the present of those who survived and back to the past of them in the woods trying to survive. It's been pretty good. There's some Devils item in the background here and there and the star ledger makes an appearance

Also just started succession last night, only watched 1 episode so far but it's been recommended to me enough that I had to start it, don't have an opinion only watching 1 episode so far but I'm not big on shows where I find all the characters completely unlikeable and that's all I really got out of the first episode.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Matrix 4 gets a substandard grade from me. Disappointing because I really enjoy the Matrix.

The action is arguably worse than the original and sequels, which is bizarre. The talking bits had some potential but that fizzled out halfway through the movie.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Matrix 4 gets a substandard grade from me. Disappointing because I really enjoy the Matrix.

The action is arguably worse than the original and sequels, which is bizarre. The talking bits had some potential but that fizzled out halfway through the movie.

That's a shame to hear but I can't say I'm surprised, I really enjoyed the first movie but I remember not liking 2 and 3 at all. I rarely rewatch anything but it's been so long I was actually gonna rewatch them before the new one but after all the meh reviews from people I know I'll probably put it on the back burner for a bit.

Reactions: devilsblood

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I’d be curious what would have happened had Allen Klein not gotten involved.

ya, finished off part 3 and wondered that also ……john really had a boner for him it seemed…..

other thoughts….

when yoko was doing her 'vocal thing' i again, shook my head

and then my heart died a bit when linda's kid started copying her…… 'f*** no!!!!'

…..but ya, it ended up fine with the roof……

after watching all that joking around in the studio for weeks it was getting more than annoying to me……..

they got it together and really did a great live roof show and sounded great in the end….and george got his due

….comical that the cops were brushed off at every moment in the front hall of the building…not one person gave a shit

…no wonder U2 wanted to pull the same 'stunt' for streets have nowhere.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

That's a shame to hear but I can't say I'm surprised, I really enjoyed the first movie but I remember not liking 2 and 3 at all. I rarely rewatch anything but it's been so long I was actually gonna rewatch them before the new one but after all the meh reviews from people I know I'll probably put it on the back burner for a bit.

Ya, having loved the 1st one, and then not being at all impressed with 2 or 3, I wasn't expecting much from 4. And that is exactly what I got.

I only watched it because my brother wanted to see it, so we went for his B-day, even with low expectations, which can often help a bad movie, this still was a dud imo.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My theater erupted several times during the film. Same experience in regards to a well behaved crowd.

People were audibly crying at points as well.

I'm probably going to see it again within the next few days. It really was that good, and Spider-Man has never even really been my jam.
You are kind of roping me in.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've never played League of Legends, so perhaps that impacts my opinion, but I enjoyed Arcane. I think they did a good job with Jinx and her relationship with Vi.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I’d be curious what would have happened had Allen Klein not gotten involved.

…and another thing……. what the f*** was with the piles of plates upon plates and cups and saucers on the piano……f***, at least get someone to get that shit out of there……its not like it was just the 4 of them and an engineer and a producers…….there a f*** ton of people around ….some most likely being lackeys that are supposed to do that shit

i couldnt 'work' in that studio……and dont get me going on how many times i saw guitars left leaning on amps or randomly left on something ready to fall to the floor...

f*** that shit

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You are kind of roping me in.
I saw it a second time and, MCU? Top 2, easily. I can't think of another film I've seen in the theater twice.

The thing has surpassed $1billion without being released in China and with omicron having half the theaters in Europe shut, as well as scaring the hell out of people here.

It's not a movie, it's not a film, it's a cinematic masterpiece and I don't care how anyone feels about these superhero productions. As a standalone it would still be that good. And frankly I never gave a shit about spiderman and still pretty much don't, despite being kind of a Marvel geek.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't win 237 awards.

It's already the highest rated film with more than 20k ratings in rotten tomatoes history (99%) and it has almost 30k. Endgame, Infinity War, and Iron Man sit at ~90%.

The other Marvel greats (albeit fox), Logan and Days of Future Past? ~90% as well.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
…and another thing……. what the f*** was with the piles of plates upon plates and cups and saucers on the piano……f***, at least get someone to get that shit out of there……its not like it was just the 4 of them and an engineer and a producers…….there a f*** ton of people around ….some most likely being lackeys that are supposed to do that shit

i couldnt 'work' in that studio……and dont get me going on how many times i saw guitars left leaning on amps or randomly left on something ready to fall to the floor...

f*** that shit

the Beatles were cavalier with their instruments it seems. I was listening to one podcast that explained that Paul’s backup bass was strung for George to use it and then sat in a corner for two years until Paul needed it again and he forgot to have it restrung in the interim. John apparently never took the Shea Stadium set list off the case of one of his guitars and George didn’t seem to have any loyalty to any one brand or style of guitar it seems. They had the same road managers in 1969 that they had in 1962 and those guys were Liverpool buddies not at all technical.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
the Beatles were cavalier with their instruments it seems. I was listening to one podcast that explained that Paul’s backup bass was strung for George to use it and then sat in a corner for two years until Paul needed it again and he forgot to have it restrung in the interim. John apparently never took the Shea Stadium set list off the case of one of his guitars and George didn’t seem to have any loyalty to any one brand or style of guitar it seems. They had the same road managers in 1969 that they had in 1962 and those guys were Liverpool buddies not at all technical.

f*** that shit
While we're at it let's criticize Jordan for missing 9,000+ shots while being a compulsive gambler, womanizer, and smoking on his way to games.

Lord knows I've fired guys who behave that way.

But as head coaches and management in any industry usually find out, some people actually do have it like that. Because they're the most important person in the building.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
While we're at it let's criticize Jordan for missing 9,000+ shots while being a compulsive gambler, womanizer, and smoking on his way to games.

Lord knows I've fired guys who behave that way.

But as head coaches and management in any industry usually find out, some people actually do have it like that. Because they're the most important person in the building.

I’m not sure what you saw in my comments to suggest I was being overly critical? My only point was that for professional musicians of note they weren’t particularly uptight about the instruments and seem to see them more like someone else might look at tools. If I wanted to attack them as people it wouldn’t be by talking about guitars and drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad