OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Station Eleven. Stumbled on it by accident. Never heard of it. It's awesome 3 episodes in. VERY character driven and jumps all over the place with time shifting from modern day to future to backstories but damn it drips with some heavy heavy character development and none of it feels padded.

Quick synopsis: mega flu hits in 2021 (hmmmm sounds familiar) and the world ends mostly.

I'm two episodes in and I think it is kinda ehhh. I don't like that it jumps around so much and there is no real huge driving force behind each episode. I'll still give another episode or two because I can tell it does have a lot of quality to it overall.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Gospel style music generally isn't my thing, but I've been listening to So Hyang for a couple months now and damn, the pipes. Absolutely incredible. Her voice just doesn't waiver. It's light and it's extremely powerful at the same time. Every note is bang on. The way she flips registers is flawless. The range is incredible. And there is just a little something extra that really connects. I can't believe how much I like this cover because if someone just described it to me, I'd think there was no way I'd enjoy it, especially given how amazing what Simon and Garfunkel did was. The last note, chills every time.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I started watching The Thick of It recently (political satire show on BBC in the early 00s) and it might be one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. It’s sort of like The Office but the UK Treasury is the setting.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Finally watched the new SpiderMan movie. It was a bit hectic but enjoyable. It looked different to me than other Marvel movies. Sort of glaring and harsh. Almost like the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. Maybe it was my theatre but it was a bit jarring to my eyes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A hand bursting out of the ground by a person who was buried isn't exactly a new trope in film/TV, but it is kind of funny.

It's still better than how TFA was originally supposed to start, with Luke's hand he lost on Bespin floating in space.:laugh:

My3Sons

Sponsor
A hand bursting out of the ground by a person who was buried isn't exactly a new trope in film/TV, but it is kind of funny.

It's still better than how TFA was originally supposed to start, with Luke's hand he lost on Bespin floating in space.:laugh:

they were actually going to show his severed hand floating around in space? That’s pretty funny. I guess in the vacuum it would be preserved pretty well. Why not have a garbage scow pick it up and through a circuitous series of events it ends up with that Simon Pegg character and Daisy Ridley gets it and the movie ends with her holding out the severed hand to Luke.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
they were actually going to show his severed hand floating around in space? That’s pretty funny. I guess in the vacuum it would be preserved pretty well. Why not have a garbage scow pick it up and through a circuitous series of events it ends up with that Simon Pegg character and Daisy Ridley gets it and the movie ends with her holding out the severed hand to Luke.

I think it was in an early version of the script so I don't know how serious they ever were about actually showing it, but I remember hearing that and laughing for a good minute about it.

It would have been funny if like the TLJ he threw it over his shoulder after she handed it to him.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think it was in an early version of the script so I don't know how serious they ever were about actually showing it, but I remember hearing that and laughing for a good minute about it.

It would have been funny if like the TLJ he threw it over his shoulder after she handed it to him.

that would have been an awesome sequence. Especially if the hand made a squishing sound and bounced after he threw it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I started watching The Thick of It recently (political satire show on BBC in the early 00s) and it might be one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. It’s sort of like The Office but the UK Treasury is the setting.

Great show, but I think the US equivalent is Veep. Vicious and bawdy satire about how government (dys)functions.

Just rewatched the 7 season run of The League randomly. Once I started it, I couldn’t stop. One of the funnier comedies of recent for my taste and I feel like it gets overlooked.

Another great show. My wife is actually the one who introduced me to it. She loves it not because she cares about football or fantasy sports at all (I actually had to describe the concept of downs to her earlier today), but rather because the show is really about being a dick to your friends and she likes the comedic sociopathy of that premise.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Watched some movies that debuted last year right before it turned into last year.

The Suicide Squad: This felt more like a comic book than any other movie based on a comic book. It still had elements that annoyed me that other comic book movies had (Whedon-esque banter, two hour-plus run time), but that didn’t get in the way of the quality.

Matrix Resurrected: I have a hard time recommending this to anyone given its very weird meta nature. What I will say is that you’ll probably dig it if, like me, you’re cynical about the state of the movie industry right now. Plenty of digs at the fact that this movie exists, and one of the characters is a metaphor for Warner Bros.

Don’t Look Up: Unspeakably awful. Needlessly long for no reason other than the fact that Adam McKay really, really loves the smell of his own farts. Also, I’m not one of those “keep your politics out of your art” people, especially since satire is politically conscious at its core. But you have to remember to be entertaining and subtle. It’s neither of these things (hell, there’s one scene where it may as well say “This is what the director wants you to think, you idiotic hogs!” while it’s going on). Don’t you dare watch it.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I just watched CODA and really liked it.

For TV, currently on a Succession binge. I can't get enough of the Roy family, as terrible as they are.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Great show, but I think the US equivalent is Veep. Vicious and bawdy satire about how government (dys)functions.

Another great show. My wife is actually the one who introduced me to it. She loves it not because she cares about football or fantasy sports at all (I actually had to describe the concept of downs to her earlier today), but rather because the show is really about being a dick to your friends and she likes the comedic sociopathy of that premise.

ah good looks, I never watched Veep

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Don’t Look Up: Unspeakably awful. Needlessly long for no reason other than the fact that Adam McKay really, really loves the smell of his own farts. Also, I’m not one of those “keep your politics out of your art” people, especially since satire is politically conscious at its core. But you have to remember to be entertaining and subtle. It’s neither of these things (hell, there’s one scene where it may as well say “This is what the director wants you to think, you idiotic hogs!” while it’s going on). Don’t you dare watch it.

I thought the satire was effective in places, and too heavy-handed in others. I agree that it was longer than it needed to be.

I just watched CODA and really liked it.

For TV, currently on a Succession binge. I can't get enough of the Roy family, as terrible as they are.

Succession is great. We were waiting for Season 3 to air fully before bingeing the whole thing. That's next on our watchlist.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Season 3 of Succession maintained high quality. Everyone is still awful but I continue to be interested in what they’ll do next.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I thought the satire was effective in places, and too heavy-handed in others. I agree that it was longer than it needed to be.

Succession is great. We were waiting for Season 3 to air fully before bingeing the whole thing. That's next on our watchlist.

I'm currently on Season 3 episode 2. I believe the full season is on HBO Max. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
ah good looks, I never watched Veep

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is incredible on Veep as the endlessly petty, cutthroat, and potty-mouthed Selina Meyer. Probably her best performance since Elaine on Seinfeld. I think she was nominated for or won a couple Emmys and they are well deserved.

If you like political satire, another older one from the UK that you might want to check out is Yes Minister. It's an 80s era critique of government bureaucracy, short-sighted politicians, and cynical civil servants, and much of it still holds up well today.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Season 3 of Succession maintained high quality. Everyone is still awful but I continue to be interested in what they’ll do next.

So glad I gave this show another chance. Amazed at how they even get Greg to be part of the scumbags in the little things he does.

I'm currently on Season 3 episode 2. I believe the full season is on HBO Max. Correct me if I'm wrong.

correct. Season 3 has ended.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

You're right, Season 3 is all on there now. We just have a couple other shows to finish before we get to it though.

We've also found it tougher with a newborn to get through long episodes, so we've mostly been watching 20-30 minute comedies recently, which are easier to get through uninterrupted. As he gets older we might be able to commit to the long dramas again.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
You're right, Season 3 is all on there now. We just have a couple other shows to finish before we get to it though.

We've also found it tougher with a newborn to get through long episodes, so we've mostly been watching 20-30 minute comedies recently, which are easier to get through uninterrupted. As he gets older we might be able to commit to the long dramas again.

It’s tough. My baby is a a year and 2 months and with schedules and sports we now catch maybe 1-3 episodes of “serious” tv a week.

We had a basically no tv policy for her so most things we have on are things of no consequence that we can walk away from at any time. Like putting on scambaiters on YouTube and such.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Our experience as parents has been that the Mature or older kids shows have only gotten harder to watch as our children have gotten older (6 and almost 4). I work early in the morning so I go to sleep earlier than most people my age but it’s very hard for my wife and I to find time to catch up on shows they can’t watch.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Julia Louis-Dreyfus is incredible on Veep as the endlessly petty, cutthroat, and potty-mouthed Selina Meyer. Probably her best performance since Elaine on Seinfeld. I think she was nominated for or won a couple Emmys and they are well deserved.
Veep is incredibly funny and I think it ran for the perfect amount of time. Any more seasons and it would have gotten a little stale.

Speaking of TV comedy, are we really at the end of the season for Always Sunny? Eight episodes is kinda light. It’s… another season of Always Sunny. You know what you’re getting with it. Personally, I love the show.

Reactions: Saugus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad