OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Loved Fleabag, thought it was one of the best shows I've ever seen but guessing a lot, maybe most, guys here won't be that into it. Only thing I've watched from Amazon.

I liked the second Boba Fett episode better than the first. Like how they flesh out various aspects of the universe more, one of the nice things about the Dave Filoni-guided stuff.

Reactions: Saugus

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Loved Fleabag, thought it was one of the best shows I've ever seen but guessing a lot, maybe most, guys here won't be that into it. Only thing I've watched from Amazon.

No, I loved Fleabag too. Can't believe I forgot that was on Amazon. Maybe the fact that it's so short has something to do with it.

Reactions: Oneiro

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone watching the new Dexter? The finale is up On Demand if you want to watch it before seeing spoilers on the internet (open spoiler: you do want to watch it asap)

Reminder: Don't hit reply or you'll see the actual spoilers

Things I didn't like...Harrison basically being forced back into lonely exile, though hopefully the fact he's been alone before helps him get past the events of Iron Lake and shed his own dark passenger, though I didn't completely buy the supposition it was just because Dexter left him. I know Dexter got sloppy in his rustiness, but dude if you really wanted to get away with your son...could you at least wipe the blood from your self-indulgent kill off your face? I also thought Angela would have more on the Matt killing than just the stupid letter and screws being in his possession, even she seemed to know that wouldn't be enough to convict him, but I guess her endgame was to hold him and then use Batista to corner him with the Bay Harbor Butcher killings. I get in one sense why she let Harrison go, but after she got holier than thou about Dexter's 'activities', letting the kid go in part because he killed a killer who betrayed them both seems a bit hypocritical since almost all of Dexter's killings were of other lying killers.

It was certainly powerful, if nothing else...after all the people he's f***ed over living and dead, it was his own son who decided he wasn't worth keeping alive anymore. Especially after too many non 'code' killings this year, and too much collateral damage in his wake, that Harrison beautifully put into focus with the chilling moment where he threw Dexter's speech back at him. I applaud the writers and runners for not taking the easy way out and trying to get multiple seasons out of this, while righting the wrong of the series ending of Dexter getting away with self-imposed exile and everyone else being abandoned. While we never got the full confrontation between Dexter and Miami Metro, I'm not sure everyone - including me - really wanted to see Batista turn full heel on Dexter and the unadulterated reaction, certainly you knew Batista and the others would have Angela's evidence on everything Dexter had done so what's left of his good name is certainly gonna be spoiled for everyone who knew him in death. Not that I always wanted to see Dexter brought to justice or pay for his crimes, but when the non-code killings and collateral damage started to add up, then him being offed by the one person he truly loved became the only real form of justice that would suffice

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
@NJDevs26

Apparently I can’t hit reply if I don’t want to see the spoilers :laugh:. It was so quick but my eyes were still searching for information that my brain didn’t want to see yet.

I haven’t watched any of the revival yet but was a big fan of the original. Like many I feel the show maybe went on a season or 2 too long and that it hit its very high high with the Trinity Killer season. Although I will say, later seasons were carried or good enough because of some darn good guest actors.

I haven’t watched Dexter yet mainly because I’m pretty much at the max of what streaming channels I will pay for (and I’m not doing any of the illegal link things). Can you give a spoiler free review of the season and maybe an overall rating you give it? If it’s good enough I may just buy the season here eventually.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You could always do a free preview week and binge it, it's only ten episodes long compared to the normal twelve during their initial run. You'll probably want to binge after the first episode anyway lol

It was definitely pretty good, helped they had the same showrunner (Clyde Phillips) who worked on the first four seasons. If you haven't seen any of the season yet then you probably will get spoiled on it by the time you do but it's worth watching eventually.

It was a nice contrast with a small, cold town in the northeast as opposed to Miami and it was actually a good cast, albeit 95% new, but Deb as the new (edgier) version of Harry worked both dramatically and comically at times. They made sure to be contemporary with a new-age podcaster, among other additions. Of course Dexter gets in close with the local police department, like a moth attracted to a flame. It's hard to say too much if you don't know who's in the season, but despite the fact they had a compelling Trinity-esque baddie with his own creepy rituals, the real hub of the season was someone else who came in halfway through the first episode and added another element/accelerant to Dexter returning to kill.

I do think they had Dexter make a few too many elementary mistakes this season, it's funny at this point it feels the show jumps the shark when Dexter does make rookie mistakes, instead of the other way around always being precise jumping the shark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
You could always do a free preview week and binge it, it's only ten episodes long compared to the normal twelve during their initial run. You'll probably want to binge after the first episode anyway lol

It was definitely pretty good, helped they had the same showrunner (Clyde Phillips) who worked on the first four seasons. If you haven't seen any of the season yet then you probably will get spoiled on it by the time you do but it's worth watching eventually.

It was a nice contrast with a small, cold town in the northeast as opposed to Miami and it was actually a good cast, albeit 95% new, but Deb as the new (edgier) version of Harry worked both dramatically and comically at times. They made sure to be contemporary with a new-age podcaster, among other additions. Of course Dexter gets in close with the local police department, like a moth attracted to a flame. It's hard to say too much if you don't know who's in the season, but despite the fact they had a compelling Trinity-esque baddie with his own creepy rituals, the real hub of the season was someone else who came in halfway through the first episode and added another element/accelerant to Dexter returning to kill.

I do think they had Dexter make a few too many elementary mistakes this season, it's funny at this point it feels the show jumps the shark when Dexter does make rookie mistakes, instead of the other way around always being precise jumping the shark.

Awesome, thank you. I’ve avoided all spoilers so far besides while they were filming I heard the rumors of a past killer and Deb being on set. Good idea on the free trial. Is there anything else on Showtime you recommend watching? I watched the 1st few seasons of Homeland and liked it but then that got old to me at the time.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Oh and random but, I am really sad (relatively speaking) to hear about the Impractical Jokers news.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sad to hear about Bob Saget. I was not raised on Full House to the extent that many in my age group were, but I did appreciate him for it.

I saw his (infamously dirty) standup act once in college and thought it was hilarious.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Finally got to watch the new AOT episode, man it's so good. Can't wait for the rest of the season! Too bad it's the last one

Also completely forgot Demon Slayer S2 started back up so now I get to binge the first few episodes of that :)

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I saw one episode and thought it was boring. I hate prestige comedy. Louie is the only one of those shows to do it well. The rest of them (Fleabag, Insecure) aren't funny enough to be a good comedy, nor are the characters gripping enough to be a drama. I can't speak for Fleabag, but after the first season of Insecure nothing of note happens. I dipped out after season three because I saw it with my girlfriend at the time and the fourth season came out after we had broken up.

Shows like that are the worst of both worlds.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Sad to hear about Bob Saget. I was not raised on Full House to the extent that many in my age group were, but I did appreciate him for it.

I saw his (infamously dirty) standup act once in college and thought it was hilarious.
]
No shit, when I heard Bob Saget died, my wife, my brother-in-law, and I were watching Dirty Work, which he directed. Somehow Artie Lange outlived both the director and main star (Norm MacDonald) of that movie. Strange world we live in.
Finally got to watch the new AOT episode, man it's so good. Can't wait for the rest of the season! Too bad it's the last one

Also completely forgot Demon Slayer S2 started back up so now I get to binge the first few episodes of that :)
I watched the first season of Demon Slayer on Netflix because my brother-in-law wanted us to watch it. I know there's a new season out so hopefully we can watch that soon.

I'm just getting started with watching anime. My brother-in-law is a fan and my wife used to do anime club in high school. So far we're watching:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Dragon Ball Z (my wife is from Mexico and Dragon Ball is HUGE there, so I'm respecting her heritage)
  • Nichijou
I like all of them. We also finished up Aggretsuko Season 4, which I thought was good as well.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
]
No shit, when I heard Bob Saget died, my wife, my brother-in-law, and I were watching Dirty Work, which he directed. Somehow Artie Lange outlived both the director and main star (Norm MacDonald) of that movie. Strange world we live in.

I watched the first season of Demon Slayer on Netflix because my brother-in-law wanted us to watch it. I know there's a new season out so hopefully we can watch that soon.

I'm just getting started with watching anime. My brother-in-law is a fan and my wife used to do anime club in high school. So far we're watching:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Dragon Ball Z (my wife is from Mexico and Dragon Ball is HUGE there, so I'm respecting her heritage)
  • Nichijou
I like all of them. We also finished up Aggretsuko Season 4, which I thought was good as well.

Bob Saget had said he had just finished the script for Dirty Work 2 and then Norm passed.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I saw one episode and thought it was boring. I hate prestige comedy. Louie is the only one of those shows to do it well. The rest of them (Fleabag, Insecure) aren't funny enough to be a good comedy, nor are the characters gripping enough to be a drama. I can't speak for Fleabag, but after the first season of Insecure nothing of note happens. I dipped out after season three because I saw it with my girlfriend at the time and the fourth season came out after we had broken up.

Shows like that are the worst of both worlds.

To each their own. I've never seen Insecure but I loved Louie too. I don't strictly view Fleabag as a comedy but there's a lot of truth in it that resonated with me. I just look for stuff that surprises me, which is not most things these days.

I've never been a fan of the typical cable sitcoms - How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Big Bang, etc. Only long running sitcom I like is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also think the funniest shows are usually cartoons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad