OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
To each their own. I've never seen Insecure but I loved Louie too. I don't strictly view Fleabag as a comedy but there's a lot of truth in it that resonated with me. I just look for stuff that surprises me, which is not most things these days.

I've never been a fan of the typical cable sitcoms - How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Big Bang, etc. Only long running sitcom I like is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also think the funniest shows are usually cartoons.

I also liked Louie. Like Louis CK's stand up itself, it was just a touch raunchy and more than a little weird, but also relatable.

I usually don't go for the schlocky broadcast sitcoms either. But I thought How I Met Your Mother was pretty good until the last season when it got ridiculous, and the finale was outright bad.

The Office has always been overrated, but it was good for what it was. I also appreciate that it launched a lot of careers for the supporting cast, which has to count for something.

Big Bang Theory (and Two and a Half Men before it) was absolute trash. I have no idea how anybody found Sheldon funny instead of relentlessly annoying.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I also liked Louie. Like Louis CK's stand up itself, it was just a touch raunchy and more than a little weird, but also relatable.

I usually don't go for the schlocky broadcast sitcoms either. But I thought How I Met Your Mother was pretty good until the last season when it got ridiculous, and the finale was outright bad.

The Office has always been overrated, but it was good for what it was. I also appreciate that it launched a lot of careers for the supporting cast, which has to count for something.

Big Bang Theory (and Two and a Half Men before it) was absolute trash. I have no idea how anybody found Sheldon funny instead of relentlessly annoying.

Even Seinfeld had a meh finale. it was nice to see the side characters one last time but it was pointless and only minimally funny.

Reactions: njdevil26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Even Seinfeld had a meh finale. it was nice to see the side characters one last time but it was pointless and only minimally funny.
Shows rarely ever end well.

I thought Scrubs had the PERFECT season 8 finale which was supposed to be the last episode then they ruined it with the med school season.

Same with How I Met Your Mother. The final season killed what was an awesome show.

Reactions: My3Sons and Saugus

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I made my own finale for Dexter with the Trinity Killer season. I didn’t think the show could end more nicely than that.

Generally, I don’t penalize shows for bad endings anymore. It’s too hard to stick a good landing, so I’ll just remember the enjoyable journey rather than a bad conclusion. A good ending could get a show extra credit though.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Long running shows with good endings? I think it's harder to land with comedies than with dramas, given that a lot of them grow stale after a while. I already mentioned Veep, which ended very well and at the perfect length. I also left pretty satisfied with Shameless. I know many people tuned out before that point, but I think it was wrapped up very nicely and with a lot of heart and love. The last season was kind of mixed (a couple of plot lines, in particular, may as well have been the writers saying their beliefs), but it really stuck the landing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Shows rarely ever end well.

I thought Scrubs had the PERFECT season 8 finale which was supposed to be the last episode then they ruined it with the med school season.

Same with How I Met Your Mother. The final season killed what was an awesome show.

I thought the med school thing with Dave Franco was them attempting a spin off and not still the original show?

Edit: looked it up… always thought that was a completely different show but apparently not. Wow, yea, that season was horrible compared to the rest of the show.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Scrubs fans pretend the final season doesn't exist. Same with Boondocks fans and the fourth season.

I might nudge my wife to watch that next. Her current "watch alone" show is ER, and before that it was House. Ever since her lengthy hospitalization and rehab stay, medical shows have been on her mind.

Fun fact: the Soul-Glo guy in Coming To America is in ER, and he's the executive producer on those Chicago shows on NBC (Fire, PD, and the hospital one).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Scrubs fans pretend the final season doesn't exist. Same with Boondocks fans and the fourth season.

I might nudge my wife to watch that next. Her current "watch alone" show is ER, and before that it was House. Ever since her lengthy hospitalization and rehab stay, medical shows have been on her mind.

Fun fact: the Soul-Glo guy in Coming To America is in ER, and he's the executive producer on those Chicago shows on NBC (Fire, PD, and the hospital one).

my wife and I loved House. It’s more than just a medical show.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

My wife was on a kick of the medical shows too last year. Ripped right through House, Grey's Anatomy, and Chicago Med in quick succession.

I agree about the final season of Scrubs. It was like a failed soft spinoff. They should have ended it rather than try to milk another series out of it.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Watched the 1st episode of Peacemaker on HBO Max. For someone who wasn’t a huge fan of even this newest Suicide Squad last year (the 1st one was horrible despite a good cast), this 1st episode was really well done. Kindve shocked by how much I liked it.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
We recently finished watching New Girl, which was a surprisingly hilarious show.

Started "The Great" on Hulu last night, also really good so far.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We recently finished watching New Girl, which was a surprisingly hilarious show.

Started "The Great" on Hulu last night, also really good so far.

My wife and (surprisingly) my father in law love New Girl. For my part, I'll watch anything with a Deschanel sister in it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Book of Boba Fett is only decent so far. The Mandalorian is much, much better.

I just hate how they're trying to push Boba's character arc since the prequels. Boba was cool in the OG trilogy because he was a silent badass who worked with Darth Vader and you didn't know who he was or what he wanted. He beat Han Solo and very nearly killed Luke Skywalker, the good guys. He was dangerous and unpredictable. And now they're trying to portray him as this honorable sad boi with daddy issues. It's just so inconsistent with how Boba was used in the first trilogy and why we liked the character.

The current date stuff with the crime syndicate is interesting but that's only like 1/3 of the show so far. Most has been flashbacks. I really don't need to see two hours of him hang out in the desert while the Tuskens teach him to fight with a stick. Like I get it, he survived the sarlac pit, we learned that in the other show. Get on to the interesting stuff.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Book of Boba Fett is only decent so far. The Mandalorian is much, much better.

I just hate how they're trying to push Boba's character arc since the prequels. Boba was cool in the OG trilogy because he was a silent badass who worked with Darth Vader and you didn't know who he was or what he wanted. He beat Han Solo and very nearly killed Luke Skywalker, the good guys. He was dangerous and unpredictable. And now they're trying to portray him as this honorable sad boi with daddy issues. It's just so inconsistent with how Boba was used in the first trilogy and why we liked the character.

The current date stuff with the crime syndicate is interesting but that's only like 1/3 of the show so far. Most has been flashbacks. I really don't need to see two hours of him hang out in the desert while the Tuskens teach him to fight with a stick. Like I get it, he survived the sarlac pit, we learned that in the other show. Get on to the interesting stuff.

Agree with what you say. I think the show needs stronger side characters/stories. This iteration of Fett isn’t strong enough to carry an entire show. Hell, I’m curious to see how the next season of Mandalorian does without the Grogu distraction.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’ve been fine with Boba Fett but it’s not something I’m actively recommending.

I have found Peacemaker a lot of fun so I’ve been recommending that to people whose tastes I think I know.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Agree with what you say. I think the show needs stronger side characters/stories. This iteration of Fett isn’t strong enough to carry an entire show. Hell, I’m curious to see how the next season of Mandalorian does without the Grogu distraction.
I think Fennec is really cool, but they aren't using her that much. She just kind of puts on her construction helmet and stands there menacingly. I'd like to see their relationship explored a bit.

Like, Boba is clearly more frail than he lets on and Fennec knows that. Yeah, he saved her life, but she's an assassin for hire. Why doesn't she just kill him and take over for herself? Why does he trust her so much? These characters are both shady mercenaries but for some reason this show has them as BFFs. I just really don't get the writing on this show.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Who knew falling into the Sarlacc puts weight on and ages you 30 years lol. I know it's the dude that played Jango but he's way too old now and is super clunky in any type of fight scene.

I just don't see Boba Fett giving a shit about the Sand People or anyone else for that matter, I'm glad his stick got a ton of character development though lol. He's supposed to be this bad ass bounty hunter but he's not intimidating, very indecisive, bumbles through every single fight and is always getting saved by others, it's kinda cringe. I do like Fennec, she's a little more of what I thought Boba would be.

I thought they were setting up something interesting with the Hutts though. Nope, they apologized, gave him a rancor and left, WTF? That chase scene with the kids on vespas was sooooo f***ing terrible lmao. There's now two shows about bounty hunters but with no bounty hunting.

You could have had a real gritty, darker type of show exploring the criminal underworld but the whole thing is completely Disneyfied.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Who knew falling into the Sarlacc puts weight on and ages you 30 years lol. I know it's the dude that played Jango but he's way too old now and is super clunky in any type of fight scene.

I just don't see Boba Fett giving a shit about the Sand People or anyone else for that matter, I'm glad his stick got a ton of character development though lol. He's supposed to be this bad ass bounty hunter but he's not intimidating, very indecisive, bumbles through every single fight and is always getting saved by others, it's kinda cringe. I do like Fennec, she's a little more of what I thought Boba would be.

I thought they were setting up something interesting with the Hutts though. Nope, they apologized, gave him a rancor and left, WTF? That chase scene with the kids on vespas was sooooo f***ing terrible lmao. There's now two shows about bounty hunters but with no bounty hunting.

You could have had a real gritty, darker type of show exploring the criminal underworld but the whole thing is completely Disneyfied.

My wife and I were literally laughing out loud during the slow mo chase scene that wasn’t ment to be slow mo. That biker gang is a joke as is, then they ruin the one scene that could’ve been semi redeeming. Hey badass cyborg kids… your gonna work for me now… ok deal.

Reactions: JK3

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah all Amazon series are crap and I don't trust them at all

I thought they did pretty good with Man in the High Castle. Marvelous Mrs Maisel is good too.

But they are definitely not the first streaming service I think of for great TV.

The Boys, Jack Ryan, and Bosch are pretty good too, but I don't really trust them with something like LOTR, which has seemed like a bad idea from the start or Fallout. Hope I'm wrong because I really like both franchises.

I really enjoyed The Boys but I thought Upload was an entertaining dark comedy drama. Basic plot is when you die your consciousness gets uploaded to what's basically the equivalent of a digital retirement home while people who are still actually alive can still interact with you.

It was renewed for season 2 and was a quick and entertaining watch.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
In terms of the earlier posts about shows that actually ended well, Six Feet Under is easily my favorite series finale, don't think any show has nailed it more perfectly than they did. Breaking Bad would be my second favorite series finale. Other then that there's always been a lot of that was ok to that was awful series finales to me.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Definitely agree they should have recast Boba with a younger actor. Not that I think this guy is a bad actor, but this role is a really bad fit for him. Sure he's a clone of Jango, but if they can re-cast young Han Solo with a completely different young actor then surely they can re-cast Boba to look slightly different from Jango.

Things I like:
-The Wookkie assassin is pretty badass
-Fennec, when they use her
-The rancor puppet, which is a practical effect and looks amazing
-The latin jazz remix of the Cantina theme

Things I don't like:
-Literally everything else

Reactions: Darkauron

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

I'd call Louis CK's stand up more than a "touch raunchy." He's the only white comedian I've ever seen get away with screaming n****r and f****t repetitively in a special. He also had several bits about children dying being a good thing.

None of that bothers me. No subject or language is off limits in any form of comedy as far as I'm concerned. I just never understood how he became so famous because I genuinely don't enjoy his shtick and found those bits to be unamusing. Same with most of Chappelle's work and especially his new special. It just sounds like old, cantankerous men yelling at the sky; and that's boring.

How I Met Your Mother was fine background noise when I was cooking or something. Its being rebooted as How I Met Your Father and Doogie isn't in it.

It took me a very, very long time to come around to The Office - I chalk this up to never having worked in one - but it's absolutely brilliant and I could rewatch just about any episode and be pleased.

Big Bang as well as Two and a Half dont belong in this conversation and lead me to believe that Idiocracy will one day be viewed as a documentary, not a comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad