OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Long running shows with good endings? I think it's harder to land with comedies than with dramas, given that a lot of them grow stale after a while. I already mentioned Veep, which ended very well and at the perfect length. I also left pretty satisfied with Shameless. I know many people tuned out before that point, but I think it was wrapped up very nicely and with a lot of heart and love. The last season was kind of mixed (a couple of plot lines, in particular, may as well have been the writers saying their beliefs), but it really stuck the landing.
I agree and am intrigued to see how It's Always Sunny tries to pull it off.

Same with Mrs. Maisel.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I agree and am intrigued to see how It's Always Sunny tries to pull it off.

Same with Mrs. Maisel.
Oh that's right Mrs. Maisel season 4 is coming up, huh? I did say I don't like prestige comedy, and I think that show qualifies, but the acting and characters (especially from Alex Borstein and Tony Shaloub) carry the show and makes it funnier. At the end of the day, it's a show about things happening around the main character, but it pulls it off. Plus I'm a sucker for Jewish stuff in pop culture.

As for Always Sunny, you're going to have to wait a while. The actors have said they have no plans to stop making the show because they have a lot of fun with it.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Boba Fett's "softening" doesn't bother me, but that's because I'm used to it having watched TCW. I can definitely see how people who only know him from the movies wouldn't though. It's why I didn't think a Fett spinoff was a great idea because most people only know him as the silent badass who got knocked into the sarlacc pit by a blind man.

As for it being Disneyfied...I mean yeah it's on Disney+. If you were expecting them to go really dark and gritty (a phrase I'm honestly tired of hearing at this point) on a Disney+ show, it just ain't happenin'.

That being said, it has been a really uneven start. The first episode was pretty meh, the second episode better, then back to kind of meh for the third one. The Mos Vespa gang felt out of place and the chase scene was pretty bad. The Wookiee fight was pretty good though. The stuff with the Tuskens I liked, but it felt like they kind of rushed it.

I'm guessing this is kind of going to be like Mandalorian where you have the side quests to pick up the allies and equipment you need for the big fight at the end. Boba has picked up the Gamorreans, the Mos Vespa gang, a rancor, and freed Predator Wookiee to come back and help him. Also, I don't think they showed the female Tusken warrior in the camp so she might still be out there.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm so thankful I was never a big fan of Star Wars growing up, as that crowd have eaten a lot of shit over the last few years. Mainly, I just watched the originals and prequels because everyone else was at the time. The only Disney-era movie I saw was Rogue One, which was completely unremarkable to me.

I was more of a fan of the video games- your Super Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadrons, and whatnot. Modern video games, particularly big budget Western ones, have so, so many problems, and one of them is publisher exclusivity, which EA abused the hell out of with Star Wars (among other licenses).

On that subject, I'm trying to work up the nerve to play Dark Souls, but the always-online requirement for the remaster is pretty annoying. I'm not trying to connect with friends, I just want a single player game. In the meantime I'm almost done with my latest Earthbound file, with a Sopranos naming theme.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would watch a whole star wars spinoff series staring Black Krrsantan. I find myself to be a very casual Star Wars fan though so I'm not super hard to please with this stuff either way, I watch the shows and movies, enjoy them and never bother with them again(im also not a repeat watcher of much of anything so that also plays into it)

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Boba Fett's "softening" doesn't bother me, but that's because I'm used to it having watched TCW. I can definitely see how people who only know him from the movies wouldn't though. It's why I didn't think a Fett spinoff was a great idea because most people only know him as the silent badass who got knocked into the sarlacc pit by a blind man.

As for it being Disneyfied...I mean yeah it's on Disney+. If you were expecting them to go really dark and gritty (a phrase I'm honestly tired of hearing at this point) on a Disney+ show, it just ain't happenin'.

That being said, it has been a really uneven start. The first episode was pretty meh, the second episode better, then back to kind of meh for the third one. The Mos Vespa gang felt out of place and the chase scene was pretty bad. The Wookiee fight was pretty good though. The stuff with the Tuskens I liked, but it felt like they kind of rushed it.

I'm guessing this is kind of going to be like Mandalorian where you have the side quests to pick up the allies and equipment you need for the big fight at the end. Boba has picked up the Gamorreans, the Mos Vespa gang, a rancor, and freed Predator Wookiee to come back and help him. Also, I don't think they showed the female Tusken warrior in the camp so she might still be out there.

Is the female tuskcan warrior the one who can fight really well? If so, they definitely didn’t show her (never caught on that was a she).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Based on the ending of the last season of Mandalorian I'd suggest at the same time, so roughly sometime after Episode 6?

I’ve always been told that there are no stupid questions…. But that was a stupid question for me to ask. I will go to my corner now.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wow the Paramount+ app for PS4 is trash. I'm trying to watch a show on there and everytime it goes to a new episode I get an error and have to close the app, then open it again and then go to the next episode. The menus are slow as molasses too. I don't know if they optimized the app for PS5 or if it's just crap.

Oh well, guess I'll go back to playing Hitman 3 I guess, for another kind of frustration (I'm really not very good at stealth type games).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Wow the Paramount+ app for PS4 is trash. I'm trying to watch a show on there and everytime it goes to a new episode I get an error and have to close the app, then open it again and then go to the next episode. The menus are slow as molasses too. I don't know if they optimized the app for PS5 or if it's just crap.

Oh well, guess I'll go back to playing Hitman 3 I guess, for another kind of frustration (I'm really not very good at stealth type games).

The app is very slow on my TV as well.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
In terms of the earlier posts about shows that actually ended well, Six Feet Under is easily my favorite series finale, don't think any show has nailed it more perfectly than they did. Breaking Bad would be my second favorite series finale. Other then that there's always been a lot of that was ok to that was awful series finales to me.

The Sopranos finale was controversial but I think it was the right choice to end it that way.

The Wire also had a good ending and ended after the correct number of seasons.

Those are the two that jump out at me right away but I'm sure I could think of others.

I'd call Louis CK's stand up more than a "touch raunchy." He's the only white comedian I've ever seen get away with screaming n****r and f****t repetitively in a special. He also had several bits about children dying being a good thing.

None of that bothers me. No subject or language is off limits in any form of comedy as far as I'm concerned. I just never understood how he became so famous because I genuinely don't enjoy his shtick and found those bits to be unamusing. Same with most of Chappelle's work and especially his new special. It just sounds like old, cantankerous men yelling at the sky; and that's boring.

How I Met Your Mother was fine background noise when I was cooking or something. Its being rebooted as How I Met Your Father and Doogie isn't in it.

It took me a very, very long time to come around to The Office - I chalk this up to never having worked in one - but it's absolutely brilliant and I could rewatch just about any episode and be pleased.

Big Bang as well as Two and a Half dont belong in this conversation and lead me to believe that Idiocracy will one day be viewed as a documentary, not a comedy.

Responding to the bolded bits:

I was being a little facetious with that. But I also have very hardened sensibilities and it is hard to offend me with even the most outrageous stuff.

I've seen reviews saying that How I Met Your Father is terrible. I was already skeptical about it and now I have a reason to skip it entirely.

I think this is already the case. What else better describes the current cultural and political moment? To quote Neil Postman, we are amusing ourselves to death with pointless trivialities. (And yes I recognize the irony that I'm making this lament in the Entertainment thread on a hockey forum).

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The Sopranos finale was controversial but I think it was the right choice to end it that way.

The Wire also had a good ending and ended after the correct number of seasons.

Those are the two that jump out at me right away but I'm sure I could think others.
I concur even though The Sopranos finale was very controversial at the time.

Breaking Bad did an excellent job of tying up loose ends as well imo.

But Mad Men takes the cake for sticking the landing.

Edit: thanks for turning me on to Neil. I wasn't familiar with his work and now I've gone down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Edit: thanks for turning me on to Neil. I wasn't familiar with his work and now I've gone down the rabbit hole.

Sorry, it looks like I kept you up for a long time.

I've seen Postman's thesis described as "the suspicion (and fear) that Huxley, not Orwell, was right about the future of humanity". I think that sums it up pretty well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sorry, it looks like I kept you up for a long time.

I've seen Postman's thesis described as "the suspicion (and fear) that Huxley, not Orwell, was right about the future of humanity". I think that sums it up pretty well.

That's pretty heavy stuff. Not sure that there is a significantly different outcome for humanity regardless of which one of those two authors might be correct. Either way it's a disaster.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Who knew falling into the Sarlacc puts weight on and ages you 30 years lol. I know it's the dude that played Jango but he's way too old now and is super clunky in any type of fight scene.

I just don't see Boba Fett giving a shit about the Sand People or anyone else for that matter, I'm glad his stick got a ton of character development though lol. He's supposed to be this bad ass bounty hunter but he's not intimidating, very indecisive, bumbles through every single fight and is always getting saved by others, it's kinda cringe. I do like Fennec, she's a little more of what I thought Boba would be.

I thought they were setting up something interesting with the Hutts though. Nope, they apologized, gave him a rancor and left, WTF? That chase scene with the kids on vespas was sooooo f***ing terrible lmao. There's now two shows about bounty hunters but with no bounty hunting.

You could have had a real gritty, darker type of show exploring the criminal underworld but the whole thing is completely Disneyfied.

Is he though? This is something that fans have made up in their heads but it was never actually supported much in the movies. Movie Boba f***ing sucked and was a joke. ESB he makes a smart move. Then we see him next in RoTJ and he gets wiped out like a f***ing chump. He was much more of a loser than a "bad ass".

I'll pick up the show if the opinions of people I trust say positive things when the season is done. Starting with Solo I've found mostly everything to be awful or just pretty middle of the road. I enjoyed most of TCW S7 but that's mainly because of how much I loved the show and wanted to see TCW Ahsoka again. Solo was an enjoyable watch but pretty meh and I've never had any urge to rewatch. Mando S1 was up and down for me. TRoS is the worst. I thought Mando S2 was pretty bad. I made it like halfway through Bad Batch. It's meh and maybe something I'll finish

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is he though? This is something that fans have made up in their heads but it was never actually supported much in the movies. Movie Boba f***ing sucked and was a joke. ESB he makes a smart move. Then we see him next in RoTJ and he gets wiped out like a f***ing chump. He was much more of a loser than a "bad ass".

I'll pick up the show if the opinions of people I trust say positive things when the season is done. Starting with Solo I've found mostly everything to be awful or just pretty middle of the road. I enjoyed most of TCW S7 but that's mainly because of how much I loved the show and wanted to see TCW Ahsoka again. Solo was an enjoyable watch but pretty meh and I've never had any urge to rewatch. Mando S1 was up and down for me. TRoS is the worst. I thought Mando S2 was pretty bad. I made it like halfway through Bad Batch. It's meh and maybe something I'll finish

Didn't Lucas once say something about regretting he didn't do more with Fett's character?

Reactions: Hisch13r

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

In universe there should probably people who are thinking:

“Well, Bobba has done some impressive stuff but maybe he is a little overrated based on Jango’s reputation. He’s certainly had some losses.”

and

“Bobba Fett has the same basic genes as the clone troopers and those guys kind of stink; so how good could Bobba actually be?”

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Didn't Lucas once say something about regretting he didn't do more with Fett's character?

Maybe idk. I think Jango would be the better one to focus on but Boba's always been the one everyone obsessed over. I'd much rather have explored pre PT era stuff than post OT. Exploring Jango's life and what made him so impressive that he was the one chosen as the template for the clones would've been cool.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
In universe there should probably people who are thinking:

“Well, Bobba has done some impressive stuff but maybe he is a little overrated based on Jango’s reputation. He’s certainly had some losses.”

and

“Bobba Fett has the same basic genes as the clone troopers and those guys kind of stink; so how good could Bobba actually be?”

Tbf the clones were actually impressive. It's the stormtroopers that sucked. I think the explanation to go to for that difference is that the clones got military training and were an actual army while stormtroopers are kind of more like cops rather than it being genetic as to why they were better. That would also explain that while Boba's genetically the same as his father or the clone troopers he wouldn't necessarily be as impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad