OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So aside from a questionably large amount of dicks being shown in the movie, Jackass Forever, was quite good. I laughed more than I expected and it brought me back to when I was younger and enjoyed their content.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hey friends. If you're bored, I just posted a new song on my Youtube channel. I did a video of a guitar/bass playthrough of the song. Probably should have picked a harder song but I'm excited about this one. Enjoy!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Man there are some mixed reviews for the Boba Fett finale on the main board.:laugh:

I thought it was fun, if a bit predictable. I've stopped giving a shit about the title and have just been enjoying the ride the last 3 episodes. My only real gripe is that Boba did come off as kind of a dope. Although I guess being a ruler is a lot different than being a bounty hunter, so maybe that's to be expected.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
After the first year of covid and hardcore quarantine I became pretty burned out on films and television series, sans superhero and sci-fi movies. Namely Dune, MCU, and The Mandalorian.

I read a few positive things about Nightmare Alley and decided to give it a go tonight and boy was that the right call. Guillermo really knocked this one out of the park.

So dark yet so beautiful. The screenplay, cinematography, costume design, as well as the locations they chose were something else. Bradley Cooper was very good - even if he's pretty much typecast at this stage - and Willam Dafoe was great as always, but Cate Blanchett stole the show.

I can't recommend seeing this thing highly enough.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
After the first year of covid and hardcore quarantine I became pretty burned out on films and television series, sans superhero and sci-fi movies. Namely Dune, MCU, and The Mandalorian.

I read a few positive things about Nightmare Alley and decided to give it a go tonight and boy was that the right call. Guillermo really knocked this one out of the park.

So dark yet so beautiful. The screenplay, cinematography, costume design, as well as the locations they chose were something else. Bradley Cooper was very good - even if he's pretty much typecast at this stage - and Willam Dafoe was great as always, but Cate Blanchett stole the show.

I can't recommend seeing this thing highly enough.

how was the story? Del Toro makes beautiful looking movies but I find his storytelling lags behind at times.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm going to watch Nightmare Alley because I'm planning on watching all the Best Picture nominations. I've already seen Dune (great, but won't win) and Don't Look Up (dreadful, but it has an outside chance of winning). Friggin' Apple TV+ is going to make CODA hard for me to watch, outside of certain other means.

Anyone seeing Jackass Forever? I'm planning on watching that once it goes on Paramount+. But first I'll watch the other three.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
how was the story? Del Toro makes beautiful looking movies but I find his storytelling lags behind at times.
It was a slow and odd start (standard for him) to be sure. But about a 1/4 of the way through I was hooked and the final 1/4 was incredible. Stuck the landing if you will.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm going to watch Nightmare Alley because I'm planning on watching all the Best Picture nominations. I've already seen Dune (great, but won't win) and Don't Look Up (dreadful, but it has an outside chance of winning). Friggin' Apple TV+ is going to make CODA hard for me to watch, outside of certain other means.

Anyone seeing Jackass Forever? I'm planning on watching that once it goes on Paramount+. But first I'll watch the other three.
I plan on watching them all as well. Sad to hear that about Don't Look Up, but who knows. Perhaps our tastes diverge.

Staying in a hotel in the woods which has a movie theater in it and plan on seeing Jackass and possibly Llicorice Pizza at some point next week.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Larry David just had a fun super bowl commercial. Is the the longest running relevant comedian right now?

Larry David shilling crypto is not something I would have predicted. To be fair though, I wouldn't have expected a lot of these celebrities to be promoting crypto.

Seems like every other Super Bowl commerical was electric vehicles, crypto, and/or classic HBO shows.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Larry David shilling crypto is not something I would have predicted. To be fair though, I wouldn't have expected a lot of these celebrities to be promoting crypto.

Seems like every other Super Bowl commerical was electric vehicles, crypto, and/or classic HBO shows.

really noticed the competing electric cars. Kind of odd they’d be the big item. The electric car will come into its own once the solid state batteries are perfected but that may be five years from now.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
really noticed the competing electric cars. Kind of odd they’d be the big item. The electric car will come into its own once the solid state batteries are perfected but that may be five years from now.

I thought it was funny that the tech companies were all tearing each other down. I was thinking, you don't have to do that guys, we hate all of you equally.

I am encouraged by the electric vehicle commercials though. They need to go mainstream for it to be viable and this is the way for it to be mainstream.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I thought it was funny that the tech companies were all tearing each other down. I was thinking, you don't have to do that guys, we hate all of you equally.

I am encouraged by the electric vehicle commercials though. They need to go mainstream for it to be viable and this is the way for it to be mainstream.

I guess this was the signal to Tesla the other makers are going to start trying now.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Now that my brother-in-law is out of the apartment, it's time to start watching stuff with my wife that I'd like to start or catch up with. I've yet to see any of the current season of Righteous Gemstones, and we left off quite a bit into the second season of Deadwood. With Nichijou finished and my BIL not wanting to watch it, I'd also like to start Lucky Star.

While he was here, we caught up on Demon Slayer. It's pretty good, not a lot of filler. Plenty of nods to fetish stuff too, if you're into that sorta thing, but if you're not aware of it like I am, it's easy to overlook. Except for Nezuko. That's pretty obvious.

And only one beer commercial, at the very end to boot! What the hell is going on?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Sat down to watch Don't Look Up and The Power of the Dog tonight.

The former was absolute garbage and they may as well of named this thing Idiocracy 2: now with less brawndo and even fewer laughs.

The Power of the Dog was an extremely slow burn that failed to keep my attention through much of it, but at least the ending was fine enough.

How with 10 slots open for best picture these are getting noms but Spider-Man was excluded is way beyond my scope of understanding.

And those people wonder why no one watchers their goofy ass show anymore.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I also watched Power of the Dog. It could have been a bit shorter, but the ending was worth it. Cumberbatch as lead actor didn't really do it for me, though. I think the next movie I'll watch from the Best Picture crop is Nightmare Alley, since it's on HBO Max right now.

I'll have to find a way to watch CODA because it's on Apple TV+, AKA easily the worst streaming service. I read a review on Letterboxd for The Tragedy of MacBeth that used the words "antiseptic" and "sterile," which makes sense for them. Apparently Ted Lasso was meant to be on NBC and they toned it down for ATV+... unreal.

I've already commented on Don't Look Up (I think it's terrible).

I also watched the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was scheduled to release in theater in 2021 but Legendary Pictures dumped it to Netflix when test audiences hated it, and it shows. The first half has dialog and plot points ripped straight from Twitter trending topics, and the kills aren't even fun because they're in the dark with CGI blood. It's actually less than 90 minutes, but it feels longer.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I also watched Power of the Dog. It could have been a bit shorter, but the ending was worth it. Cumberbatch as lead actor didn't really do it for me, though. I think the next movie I'll watch from the Best Picture crop is Nightmare Alley, since it's on HBO Max right now.

I'll have to find a way to watch CODA because it's on Apple TV+, AKA easily the worst streaming service. I read a review on Letterboxd for The Tragedy of MacBeth that used the words "antiseptic" and "sterile," which makes sense for them. Apparently Ted Lasso was meant to be on NBC and they toned it down for ATV+... unreal.

I also watched the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was scheduled to release in theater in 2021 but Legendary Pictures dumped it to Netflix when test audiences hated it, and it shows. The first half has dialog and plot points ripped straight from Twitter trending topics, and the kills aren't even fun because they're in the dark with CGI blood. It's actually less than 90 minutes, but it feels longer.

as a Del Toro fan I was a bit let down by Nightmare Alley. It looked great and was well acted but it sort of rushed to its ending which felt forced to me.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Out of the services I have or have tried I personally I would put Apple and Disney + as the worst for content. Apple flat out doesn’t have enough content (it is quite cheap tho, $5.99 I believe) to keep me interested. Not enough original movies or shows nor are they buying enough big ones to bring from theaters to their service first. I’m a marvel guy so I enjoy the Marvel shows but the first few years I feel like subscribers are essentially paying for Disney’s old Library of animated classics. In a year or so I could see Disney jumping way up for me though as the Marvel/Stars shows (as well as new movies) will have less of a gap inbetween.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Nightmare Alley was beautifully made, but yeah, not my favorite GDT. I'm definitely a fan of him, though I haven't been into these last two as much (Shape of Water). Both movies are tonally quite weird to me, in this middle ground of campy and super serious. But he's pushing himself which I appreciate a lot as someone who feels kind of starved for good movies.

I really liked Power of the Dog. Definitely felt very 90s to me in how it was paced. Doesn't rush, great performances and great score all around. If it was paced faster and spelled more things out, it would betray the whole premise of a movie where everyone is hiding things and can't say what they really feel.

I'd rather more movies be slower than faster - most plots are nonsensical today - but I guess that's not how most people feel.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Disney+ is kind of a throw in for me with Hulu and ESPN+ because I did that bundle. Basically the only things I've watched on Disney+ are old Simpsons episodes, the new Star Wars shows, and their old classic movies. My wife also watches Boy Meets World for the nostalgia on there, but that's about it. We're not really interested in the Marvel Comics movies, and they don't have much other original content coming out.

We've gotten much more use out of Hulu and ESPN+.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Wife and I are watching the Simpsons in order on Disney+ and we're up to near the end of season 8. The decline starts soon.

As for everything else on there? They have Dinosaurs, that's a good show. Other than that... meh. I have no desire to watch more MCU after Endgame, I was never a big Star Wars guy, and outside of the big franchises there are only a handful of movies I'm interested in watching that are on there at a given time.

On a related note, I really don't see the hype for Encanto. It feels like it was written by an algorithm and the songs aren't memorable. I despise Lin-Manuel Miranda but even I'll admit he can write some bangers; however, none of them are in here. Nothing about it screams "Colombia" even though it's supposed to take place there. The "villain," if you can call it that, is trauma, which has been used so much as a plot device that it's gotten to be hacky. But here we are, two months after it was shoved to the service after an incredibly underwhelming theatrical run, and "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is still on every fourth TikTok video my wife scrolls onto. The bar is set so low.

Reactions: Oneiro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad