OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So I’m watching the HBO show Raised by Wolves. It’s a slow burn and explores some of the same themes as Blade Runner. It’s produced by Ridley Scott. At times it looks and sounds like Prometheus. It has some fun call backs to old sci fi moments. Worth a watch if you like the genre.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So I’m watching the HBO show Raised by Wolves. It’s a slow burn and explores some of the same themes as Blade Runner. It’s produced by Ridley Scott. At times it looks and sounds like Prometheus. It has some fun call backs to old sci fi moments. Worth a watch if you like the genre.

Just wait til you keep on watching. Only goes downhill sadly.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
For shows I've started, my wife picked out Midnight Mass on Netflix. It's decent, nothing special but since it's a mini-series it's not much of a time investment.

Yesterday we started the fourth season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I've trashed "prestige comedy" here before, and this show qualifies as it, but what separates this from a lot of other shows is the cast of characters. They're all great, especially Abe. Tony Shaloub nails it, like he does most of his roles.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For shows I've started, my wife picked out Midnight Mass on Netflix. It's decent, nothing special but since it's a mini-series it's not much of a time investment.

Yesterday we started the fourth season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I've trashed "prestige comedy" here before, and this show qualifies as it, but what separates this from a lot of other shows is the cast of characters. They're all great, especially Abe. Tony Shaloub nails it, like he does most of his roles.

I enjoyed Midnight Mass for the most part. The ending went off the rails a bit which is typical for horror style shows that try to have a naturalistic feel.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I have a strange rotation of shows right now. Wife and I are watching Love is Blind which is a beautiful train wreck, and then I’m watching The Knick and Love on the Spectrum. Gotta keeps things interesting lol.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Take my money Disney.

Oh wait, you already are.:laugh:

660BAD49-ED9D-4AE1-8DD0-326116EDB23C.png

Reactions: Bleedred and Oneiro

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Uhhhhh, if you liked Mando then you better watch Boba Fett. There are two episodes of the Mandalorioan in the Book of Boba Fett. Trust me, they are a must watch.

You could just watch the 2 episodes of Boba that were really Mando episodes, if you really didn’t want to bother with Boba.

I think the Boba show was not must watch but if you like Mando then you do need the 2 Mando episodes they stuck in the Boba show.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You could just watch the 2 episodes of Boba that were really Mando episodes, if you really didn’t want to bother with Boba.

I think the Boba show was not much watch but if you like Mando then you do need the 2 Mando episodes they stuck in the Boba show.
Episode 2 of Boba was the best of the Boba episodes.

Seems like the pandemic really hurt the production. You could tell the obvious social distancing in many scenes.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Episode 2 of Boba was the best of the Boba episodes.

Seems like the pandemic really hurt the production. You could tell the obvious social distancing in many scenes.

I watched the whole season and I don’t regret watching but, for me, it was less interesting than Mando. So if someone liked Mando but didn’t want to watch the whole Boba show, I think they can get away with it.

The Boba show had some cool moments and it had some cringe moments. So it was a mixed bag but I still enjoy Star Wars so it was a fine thing to watch once a week.

Ultimately, for me, I just didn’t care for the present day story enough. I think I found the pre-story flashbacks more interesting.

And I do care for the Mando story so his episodes just highlighted how I didn’t really care about the Boba story.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Tough thing is that if you don't watch all of the shows, you lose track of the whole arc.

While I love the fan service of the Timothy Zahn series, Clone Wars, Bad Batch, Rebels, etc. references, gotta be a little confusing for newcomers to the shows. If you didn't know who Ahsoka, Thrawn, etc. were, it's not nearly as dramatic at certain points.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Halfway through my watch of Best Picture nominees and here are my standings.

1. West Side Story (I have no point of comparison when it comes to this version and the others that came before it, but that doesn't matter. It was clearly a passion project for Spielberg and a love letter to the movie, and that really shined through)
2. Dune (all sci-fi doesn't need to be big booms and action all the time, but it does need to nail that atmosphere to stand out. This does that very well)
3. Licorice Pizza (originally had this at number 4, but unlike the movie it overtook I was thinking about it for a couple of days after viewing. People complaining about the age gap miss the point- we all know a hot mess like Alana Kane in our lives, and if you identify with her, that's on you. Plus I like how big name actors took a back seat to the leads who are relatively new to acting)
4. The Power of the Dog (good twist at the end, but honestly it should have been about 15 minutes shorter. Not really fond of Benedict Cumberbatch faking an accent. Maybe get Ian McShane out of retirement and have him play the lead- would have been a nice callback to his Deadwood days)
5. Don't Look Up (Adam McKay needs to get his head out of his ass, apologize to Will Ferrell, and start making funny movies again. This was nominated for Best Editing as well, which... come the hell on)

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Isn't Ian McShane British too? He would also be faking an accent.
Yeah but he was actually convincing as Swearingen. Cumberbatch was just meh. Frankly, he was better as Doctor Strange and I'm not thrilled about him in that either.

Update: Nightmare Alley is at 5 (and at the top of the list for my wife), but it's closer to the top than the bottom. Much much closer to the top. Did I mention Don't Look Up was godawful?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Apparently one of our team owners just slapped Chris Rock.

I had to look this up. I had no idea Will Smith was a part owner. How random.

You would think, given how associated he is with Philadelphia, that he would be involved with the Flyers instead.

Reactions: glenwo2

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I had to look this up. I had no idea Will Smith was a part owner. How random.

You would think, given how associated he is with Philadelphia, that he would be involved with the Flyers instead.
I believe he is. It’s the because the group that owns us, also owns part of the 76’ers. I’m not 100% sure of what I’m saying here though haha!

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad