OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'll guess a lot of the subjective nature of comedy is age related. I can get my kids to watch some Seinfeld but they push back against Monty Python. If they are life in the solar system, things like Bojack Horseman are the Earth, Seinfeld is still in the habitable zone as Mars, but anything older than that is as far away and cold as Jupiter.
I thoroughly enjoyed this analogy even if it doesn't entirely apply to me.

Comedy as an art form has certainly evolved over the years, but Prior, Airplane, and Taxi still crack me up even though they're before my time.

Unfortunately British comedy, in most of its forms, I just can't wrap my head around. Monty Python, Ab Fab, the guy in the suit with the one liners who tries too hard to be offensive, the British Office, etc. I've tried, we're just not a good match apparently. Gervais can be fine I guess. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has some killers I have yet to come across.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Comedy as an art form has certainly evolved over the years, but Prior, Airplane, and Taxi still crack me up even though they're before my time.

Unfortunately British comedy, in most of its forms, I just can't wrap my head around. Monty Python, Ab Fab, the guy in the suit with the one liners who tries too hard to be offensive, the British Office, etc. I've tried, we're just not a good match apparently. Gervais can be fine I guess. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has some killers I have yet to come across.
It just depends upon what appeals to you. I don’t find Jim Carrey or Fred Armisen that funny. I don’t like all the British humor. Sometimes it’s just dry and not clever. I did get my youngest to watch Duck Soup for a film class and he liked it once he saw how relevant it still is.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It just depends upon what appeals to you. I don’t find Jim Carrey or Fred Armisen that funny. I don’t like all the British humor. Sometimes it’s just dry and not clever. I did get my youngest to watch Duck Soup for a film class and he liked it once he saw how relevant it still is.
Jim Carrey to me = not funny.
Hate low brow humour like Scary movie etc. One or two some what funny scenes in the entire series . Elliot and his tiny gimped hand making mashed potato’s was somewhat funny.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Jim Carrey to me = not funny.
Hate low brow humour like Scary movie etc. One or two some what funny scenes in the entire series . Elliot and his tiny gimped hand making mashed potato’s was somewhat funny.
I was unaware people over the age of 10 considered Jim Carrey to be funny after In Living Color.

I'm not sure how low brow this is (probably pretty) but my girl asked what I wanted to watch the other night while I was not really doing some work so I said "throw on some background noise, whatever you like."

Bridesmaids came on.

That shit (pun intended) is kind of hilarious, low brow or not.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
So apparently a bunch of HBO Max originals are not merely being canceled, but outright removed from streaming. Six movies have already been taken down. Warner Discovery is really making me want to use completely legitimate means of acquisition. I’ve seen two of those movies and they’re not even that good, but it’s the principle of destroying art that gets me.

In an enlightened world, any movie or TV show episode that gets taken down entirely would immediately become accessible to the public. I know this politician in Japan won an election while having this same stance for digital video game preservation.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Older British comedies are some of my favorite shows. There are the classics from the 70s and 80s like Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, and Yes Minister. The IT Crowd and The Thick of It are more recent. And the best part is that because they're British shows, there aren't many of them in each season, so you can rip through them very quickly.

Eddie Izzard is one of my favorite standup comedians, his special Dress to Kill is in my top 5 standup performances of all time.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Older British comedies are some of my favorite shows. There are the classics from the 70s and 80s like Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, and Yes Minister. The IT Crowd and The Thick of It are more recent. And the best part is that because they're British shows, there aren't many of them in each season, so you can rip through them very quickly.

Eddie Izzard is one of my favorite standup comedians, his special Dress to Kill is in my top 5 standup performances of all time.
The Fawlty Towers episode with the German visitors is some of the funniest tv ever for a fan of British comedy.

Reactions: Saugus

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

I forgot about Dress to Kill, therefore you are obviously a person of taste and distinction and I will give those others a go.

But top 5?
085fc19d7a0673262e0a0c7c7064d822.jpg

But it is kind of her fault that I did forget about her (that's what she identifies as now, not willing to have the discussion here).

In that line of work you have to keep putting in, well, the work.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Saw this guy do stand up in brooklyn and it was one of the best shows i've ever been to. There' s 3 seasons of his show on adult swim and i'm heartbroken there wont be a 4th because it's just so wholsome

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
this is peak comedy

I just gave this guy a genuine shot for about half an hour as I'm a comedy junkie so am always searching for new stuff, and I don't get it. Like at all.

That McDonald's bit is atrocious. The ultimate sex move?

Should I microdose and give it another go or were you being facetious?

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Finished The Stand. It sucked outside the first 3 episodes. Do not recommend.

Debating on finishing Resident Evil now too. Dragging 5 ep in.

Hunt for Red October is on Netflix in case someone needs a great movie to revisit.

Anyone watch The Gray Man yet? Verdict? Trailer didn't look that good tbh.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Gray Man is very generic and the action scenes are edited in a way that makes them very hard to follow with all the quick cuts and shifting angles.

The worst part is I think the stunt crew looks to have done a nice job but the editor screwed them.

The main actors do a fine enough job trying to make a retread story interesting so if you really like Gosling or Evans at least they’re fun to a degree.

————

Final verdict: I didn’t hate seeing it once but I wouldn’t recommend it in general because I would fear the likelihood of people not having a good time is greater than 50%.

I guess I’m a sucker enough for dumb action that I’ll check out the expanded universe when those new items come out.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Finished The Stand. It sucked outside the first 3 episodes. Do not recommend.

Hunt for Red October is on Netflix in case someone needs a great movie to revisit.

Anyone watch The Gray Man yet? Verdict? Trailer didn't look that good tbh.

The Hunt for Red October is great, I'll definitely have to watch that again soon. Connery was great in that movie despite not even bothering with an accent, and Alec Baldwin will always be the best Jack Ryan in my book.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I just gave this guy a genuine shot for about half an hour as I'm a comedy junkie so am always searching for new stuff, and I don't get it. Like at all.

That McDonald's bit is atrocious. The ultimate sex move?

Should I microdose and give it another go or were you being facetious?
just go on hbo and watch the first episode of "Joe Pera Talks to You" - it's a much more cohesive show

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Prey on Hulu was a good grounded prequel to the Predator franchise. Was actually interested to read that the director at one point was considering not showing the Predator at all in trailers.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Prey on Hulu was a good grounded prequel to the Predator franchise. Was actually interested to read that the director at one point was considering not showing the Predator at all in trailers.
I watched it with the two of my boys at home right now. It was fun. We watched it in the indigenous language with English subtitles. I had to stop it at times to get the idea of what the trappers were saying.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I struggled just making it through the 1st episode, it's absolutely awful. I hate the flashbacks to the teenage high school drama shit. It's amazing that something that really is simple like Resident Evil is apparently impossible to make anything good out of.

So much of the first episode was absolutely nonsensical, hell the opening scene alone...
"The zombies were going after the main girl but conveniently all of them stop but 1 to attack her. Just straight trash. "

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I watched it with the two of my boys at home right now. It was fun. We watched it in the indigenous language with English subtitles. I had to stop it at times to get the idea of what the trappers were saying.
I watched part of it but got too wasted to follow and stopped halfway through. I decided to watch it in Comanche with subtitles because it feels more authentic that way, and it's important representation to people who otherwise wouldn't know the language exists. I sure didn't.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I watched Prey last night after seeing many good reviews and comments. I feared it was gonna be a dud. Was wrong - very solid entry into the franchise. I put it at 3rd best. If they had just toned down the makeup to look more weathered/natural like The Revenant did it would have been pretty much perfect imo. Soundtrack was a 9/10 too - completely original and matched the action and time period very well.

Reactions: Ripshot 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad