OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Finally caught up after binging all of Better Call Saul. Down to the last few episodes now.

I pretty much hate Kim and Jimmy after what happed with Howard, that was the last straw for me. They’re such pieces of shit.

Don't rob people for hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. They're lowlifes for sure, but I didn't feel bad for him. Not one bit.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Jerry, it’s Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner’s here. George is dead. Call me back.
Just the other day my girl said "after the pool." I couldn't help but blurt out "shrinkage!"

She's a bit younger and not from around here so I just got a confused look. And a trip directly to the pool.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Rosemary’s Baby, the Color Out of Space, the Dreams in the Witch House, Ghostbusters, parts of Call of Cthulhu, and the supernatural elements of the first season of True Detective had a baby that was distantly related to Christopher Nolan it would be Archive 81 on Netflix.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Eggtimer

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You can't go wrong with any of the three winning an Emmy between Ruth, Kim, and Beth. Beth to me would be the third choice but Ruth and Kim is a coin flip. I'd give it to Kim for her entire season but that scene in Ozark where Ruth yells you're going to have to kill me was absolutely flawless.
Someone doesn't like or hasn't seen Squid Game.

Because dollars to doughnuts it's HoYeon.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Punisher is returning on Disney with a TV-MA rating. Hope they restore it to S1 greatness because S2 kinda stunk despite a great lead actor.
On that note, my brother-in-law kept pestering my wife to watch the second Doctor Strange movie, so we watched it on Saturday. While I appreciate there was actual composed music in it (instead of just Top 40 hits of the past) and had at least some personal touches to it by Raimi, I was completely underwhelmed. With the streaming shows, it's just become too much for me to keep up with for very little payoff. I feel like the MCU is in the place Marvel Comics was in the 90s in that way.

Now, I'm not saying that Disney is going to go out of business like Marvel almost did back then, but it seems like a foolish business strategy to go full speed ahead on this super-connected universe, and audiences seem to agree. Thor 4's box office earnings have dropped like a rock in its second and third weeks.

My3Sons

Sponsor
On that note, my brother-in-law kept pestering my wife to watch the second Doctor Strange movie, so we watched it on Saturday. While I appreciate there was actual composed music in it (instead of just Top 40 hits of the past) and had at least some personal touches to it by Raimi, I was completely underwhelmed. With the streaming shows, it's just become too much for me to keep up with for very little payoff. I feel like the MCU is in the place Marvel Comics was in the 90s in that way.

Now, I'm not saying that Disney is going to go out of business like Marvel almost did back then, but it seems like a foolish business strategy to go full speed ahead on this super-connected universe, and audiences seem to agree. Thor 4's box office earnings have dropped like a rock in its second and third weeks.
Post Endgame Marvel is having a bit of an identity crisis in my view. They had a prequel of sorts with Blackwidow and they did give us the SpiderMan and Thor and Doctor Strange but they layered in Shang Chi and the Eternals which in my view didn't really move the needle. Origin story movies are not really anything special anymore for Marvel and they have yet to figure out how to introduce new characters without taking a step back.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Post Endgame Marvel is having a bit of an identity crisis in my view. They had a prequel of sorts with Blackwidow and they did give us the SpiderMan and Thor and Doctor Strange but they layered in Shang Chi and the Eternals which in my view didn't really move the needle. Origin story movies are not really anything special anymore for Marvel and they have yet to figure out how to introduce new characters without taking a step back.
Cap and Iron Man were like the heart of the MCU and without either of them these post Endgame movies and series feel like they're just kind of off on their own islands. I don't know if it was poor planning or maybe we just got lucky that RDJ and Evans just absolutely killed it as those characters and it's a lot harder to find those keystones than they or we thought.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

It's going to be a long slog with minimal payoff for a while it seems.

I think the nerds of us are pretty much just waiting for secret wars because then you don't have a choice but to introduce the X-Men.

It's also my understanding that the reason we're not seeing them now is because they want to recast and many of the former actors are still under contract, and that's a lot of pretty famous people to buy out. Hence Patrick Stewart in Dr. Strange.

It is too much content too soon, but I still have faith given that Loki, WandaVision, Shang Chi, and Spiderman were bangers.

There were also terrible films in every other phase. Outside of Ragnarok the Thor films in general have ranged from trash to just ok.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Cap and Iron Man were like the heart of the MCU and without either of them these post Endgame movies and series feel like they're just kind of off on their own islands. I don't know if it was poor planning or maybe we just got lucky that RDJ and Evans just absolutely killed it as those characters and it's a lot harder to find those keystones than they or we thought.
I think if they knew Disney was going to acquire FOX they wouldn't have killed them off.

But Marvel (the comics) has a way of eliminating then bringing characters back. Hulk literally ripped wolverine in half once.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think if they knew Disney was going to acquire FOX they wouldn't have killed them off.

But Marvel (the comics) has a way of eliminating then bringing characters back. Hulk literally ripped wolverine in half once.
Wasn't the decision to kill off Stark and Captain America done because the actors wanted to be finished with the franchise? I'm surprised Hemsworth will do more Thor. He is getting older and prepping for a Thor movie must be difficult and at what point does your doctor tell you it's time to stop taking steroids.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My prediction is that Marvel movies will
Continue to do well but not amazing until they release FF and the X-men which will vault them back into Phase 1 and 2 status. They are stuck right now introducing a bunch of secondary hero’s or teams that weren’t in early A list hero status so they are losing some of the 30-50 year olds that grew up reading the original comics. What made the first lineups so successful imo was you had children of the 80s and 90s sharing this movie experience with their own children and they are losing some of this (plus some of the quality/story telling is lacking).

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Wasn't the decision to kill off Stark and Captain America done because the actors wanted to be finished with the franchise? I'm surprised Hemsworth will do more Thor. He is getting older and prepping for a Thor movie must be difficult and at what point does your doctor tell you it's time to stop taking steroids.
At what point would you stop taking steroids for $15mm per year?

I can't necessarily answer that question for myself because I've never been in that position. But Arnold and Barry seem to be doing ok, Hugh as well, and that might be what I'd consider gauging myself against.

We'll see when Hemsworth decides to stop booting.

I'm sure all of the producers consider this.

I've seen interviews with RDJ and don't believe it was his decision.

Why would Evans make that call? It's who he is and could make money forever playing that roll.

I'm convinced it's all Feige, which is why I still have faith in the franchise.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah RDJ wanted to keep on being in the movies, but Disney didnt want to keep on paying him as he costed them too much money. Without him at the core, phase 3 has been garbo

My3Sons

Sponsor
At what point would you stop taking steroids for $15mm per year?

I can't necessarily answer that question for myself because I've never been in that position. But Arnold and Barry seem to be doing ok, Hugh as well, and that might be what I'd consider gauging myself against.

We'll see when Hemsworth decides to stop booting.

I'm sure all of the producers consider this.

I've seen interviews with RDJ and don't believe it was his decision.

Why would Evans make that call? It's who he is and could make money forever playing that roll.

I'm convinced it's all Feige, which is why I still have faith in the franchise.
If they let RDJ go and he was interested in continuing that's pretty lame by Marvel. He was still the best thing they had going for them. They could have killed Captain America in Endgame for impact if they wanted to, but they had already killed Black Widow anyway.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t think RDJ could keep doing the movies as a leading character. He was getting pretty beat up.

Then it becomes, can we agree on how much you get paid/how much you want to be a supporting character in this world who doesn’t do stunts? Could be tough to find a place both sides find worthwhile.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Thanks for sending me down a rabbit hole. Because more time on the couch is what I needed in my life.

😆

I'd also like to add It's Always Sunny and Big Mouth.
I have been wanting to watch Always Sunny for awhile now. I have not watched a single full episode yet…
Parks and Recreation is another one I might try out , along with 30 Rock and ? I love that kind of humor. Arrested development , Office ,

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I have been wanting to watch Always Sunny for awhile now. I have not watched a single full episode yet…
Parks and Recreation is another one I might try out , along with 30 Rock and ? I love that kind of humor. Arrested development , Office ,
The Office before a certain someone departs the show might have been the most consistently funny ever, but when It's Always Sunny nails it it's not a home run, it's a walk off grand slam.

Parks and Rec is great as well.

I'm meh on the other two personally.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The Office before a certain someone departs the show might have been the most consistently funny ever, but when It's Always Sunny nails it it's not a home run, it's a walk off grand slam.

Parks and Rec is great as well.

I'm meh on the other two personally.
I'll guess a lot of the subjective nature of comedy is age related. I can get my kids to watch some Seinfeld but they push back against Monty Python. If they are life in the solar system, things like Bojack Horseman are the Earth, Seinfeld is still in the habitable zone as Mars, but anything older than that is as far away and cold as Jupiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad