OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think it was really that inconsistent with the canon. Sure, you can nitpick Leia's message in ANH where it sounds like she doesn't really know Obi-Wan, but I think that's about it. I know everybody was worried about Vader's "when last we met I was the learner, now I am the master" line, but I think we saw in the finale why that was. As for needing the small cute thing to save, doesn't that apply to pretty much every movie or show where the hero needs to protect/save/rescue an innocent? Plus there needed to be a reason for Obi-Wan to go off planet, and some random person wasn't going to be it. Now, you can argue that Obi-Wan shouldn't have left, but that's not a very interesting story. Plus, it's through rescuing Leia that Obi-Wan gets out of wallowing in self doubt and reconnects with the Force, and ultimately his purpose.

I will agree that they didn't do a great job of weaving all the storylines together though. Honestly, it kind of felt like they tried to do a little too much in just 6 episodes. The Grand Inquisitor thing was unnecessary and they could have streamlined the whole Reva storyline. I said it before, I don't think her character's story was executed all that well. And I don't think it's the actor's fault, it just felt like the writing for her wasn't as good.

It was a little like Boba Fett where the first few episodes were kind of hit or miss and then once Dinn showed up for the last few episodes it was really good. With this I think once it got down to more of just Obi-Wan vs Vader the show was very good. Their lightsaber duel in the finale to me is maybe top 4 or 5 in all of Star Wars. I still love Obi-Wan/Qui-Gonn/Darth Maul the most, with Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, and maybe Obi-Wan vs Anakin from ROTS ahead of it.
To me there is more disconnect between this series and episode 4 than you are seeing but I’d like to avoid spoilers and ultimately I imagine anyone watching this show to be able to out it in perspective as you did. My guess is Reva gets a redemption spin off at some point.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Star Wars does love it's redemption stories, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Reva again, even if it's just in comic or book form. Admittedly I haven't read much of the "new canon" novels or comics, so I don't really know what's going on there. I remember reading a couple of the Doctor Aphra comics and being like "Vader kind of sucks in this, no thanks" and moving on (although I did like Triple Zero, the assassin protocol droid). I haven't read any of the new High Republic stuff and wouldn't even know where to start. I kind of got burned out on the Star Wars event things after the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force series. I long for the days of the Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing books..

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Star Wars does love it's redemption stories, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Reva again, even if it's just in comic or book form. Admittedly I haven't read much of the "new canon" novels or comics, so I don't really know what's going on there. I remember reading a couple of the Doctor Aphra comics and being like "Vader kind of sucks in this, no thanks" and moving on (although I did like Triple Zero, the assassin protocol droid). I haven't read any of the new High Republic stuff and wouldn't even know where to start. I kind of got burned out on the Star Wars event things after the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force series. I long for the days of the Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing books..
I don’t know what any of that is. I watched the old Samuari Jack style cartoons because my kids watched them before episode 3 came out. Other than that I have no idea about Star Wars beyond thr movies and Disney Plus live action shows. Yes I’m old and out of touch.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don’t know what any of that is. I watched the old Samuari Jack style cartoons because my kids watched them before episode 3 came out. Other than that I have no idea about Star Wars beyond thr movies and Disney Plus live action shows. Yes I’m old and out of touch.
Sometimes I wish I could watch Star Wars with fresh eyes and not have all kinds of useless knowledge about stuff that happened in books and comics floating around in my head.:laugh:

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
The show was a sequel to the prequels and not a prequel to the originals and thats how i'll choose to look at it.

very true that the whole thing is twisted into a pretzel already so its just my bickering that is narrowing in on a couple of cracks in an already broken piece of glass/art.

The thing about that message in new hope to obiwan is they actually did shoe horn in that final conversation where he tells her basically "pretend like you don't know me". Which almost was worse than not even acknowledging it at all. To me that means the writers had this predetermined agenda to make sure the line in new hope gets explained but rather than creatively coming up with a way to do that, or JUST NOT MAKE A STORY ABOUT LEIA(!!!?) they threw that in there in the end so everyone can be like OHHH there you go, nice job star wars writers fitting it in. Like i said before I would have rather them do a men-in-black memory wipe stick than that.

I can get past cannon issues but when the writing gives us a situation like Vader weak and battered with Obiwan just a mere swing away from ending the whole thing and he leaves Vader alive ....that is the coup-de-grace for me, no pun intended.
Vader literally walks through the streets snapping innocent people's necks with a flick of the wrist just a couple episodes ago...so yea lets just leave him alive. It defeats the whole purpose of why Obiwan wants to face him, all the motivations of him constantly abandoning the rebels and leia to "hold him off" the whole thing is just so stupid cause Vader obviously cant be dead. then just write a different story where you dont write yourself into a corner with all these dumb inconsistencies.

And then to use Liam N. for a "now you can see me, yay!" line only was just a slap in the face. Can we not get one freakin conversation??? Nope! tune in for season 2 to watch how we try to fit more stories into this tiny gap of time!

awful.
I don't think it was really that inconsistent with the canon. Sure, you can nitpick Leia's message in ANH where it sounds like she doesn't really know Obi-Wan, but I think that's about it. I know everybody was worried about Vader's "when last we met I was the learner, now I am the master" line, but I think we saw in the finale why that was. As for needing the small cute thing to save, doesn't that apply to pretty much every movie or show where the hero needs to protect/save/rescue an innocent? Plus there needed to be a reason for Obi-Wan to go off planet, and some random person wasn't going to be it. Now, you can argue that Obi-Wan shouldn't have left, but that's not a very interesting story. Plus, it's through rescuing Leia that Obi-Wan gets out of wallowing in self doubt and reconnects with the Force, and ultimately his purpose.

I will agree that they didn't do a great job of weaving all the storylines together though. Honestly, it kind of felt like they tried to do a little too much in just 6 episodes. The Grand Inquisitor thing was unnecessary and they could have streamlined the whole Reva storyline. I said it before, I don't think her character's story was executed all that well. And I don't think it's the actor's fault, it just felt like the writing for her wasn't as good.

It was a little like Boba Fett where the first few episodes were kind of hit or miss and then once Dinn showed up for the last few episodes it was really good. With this I think once it got down to more of just Obi-Wan vs Vader the show was very good. Their lightsaber duel in the finale to me is maybe top 4 or 5 in all of Star Wars. I still love Obi-Wan/Qui-Gonn/Darth Maul the most, with Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, and maybe Obi-Wan vs Anakin from ROTS ahead of it.

Reva's storyline was unfortunately really bad. she gets stabbed and still has the ability to chase after Luke? atleast the grand inquisitor was away for a couple episodes "healing" his wounds.
I did like the actress though, I wish she had been used better. But I hope she never returns because again now we have another loose end that won't be tied up. PRETZEL time

The motivations were extremely confusing...why is she chasing after luke? that voicemail from Bail didn't really give away anything, you'd make some serious conclusions that he is talking about Vader's kids from what he says. So she says "Yea let me kill this kid?" cause??? revenge?

I digress....I am a major proponent of connected universes and they consistently let me down.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
from the unpossible file of belief ....i have never seen raging bull... throwing it on now.... thrift shop 6 bucks double disc dvd with some 8 page insert (will read another time)

going with late dinner, homemade minestone....glasses of red and eyes of red due to puff the magic dragon fockers

(also found the godfather trio ....of which i've also never seen)

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I saw the first Godfather recently, it's my dad's favorite movie of all time. I see the hype. And apparently many people's recipe for marinara gravy comes from that one scene where Michael is making Sunday dinner.

And for some others it comes from Henry's recipe in Goodfellas.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

My3Sons

Sponsor
I saw the first Godfather recently, it's my dad's favorite movie of all time. I see the hype. And apparently many people's recipe for marinara gravy comes from that one scene where Michael is making Sunday dinner.
My primary college girlfriend was from a very Italian family. They had a wonderful family recipe for everything. My recollection is that gravy meant tomato based sauce to which meat was added. It would be called sauce if it was meatless. I cannot recall if they ever used the word marinara. They actually debated the sauce/gravy dichotomy once in the kitchen for over an hour. Of course, the process to make the sauce/gravy took about three days. Everything from scratch. Every step handled independently. They probably grew the garlic in a garden. I know the tomatoes came from Italy but I do not recall if they were Marzano or some other variety. It was great. My only quibble was they preferred their sausage a bit underdone for my taste.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
If you enjoyed the Godfather, and are a reader. I highly recommend the book by Mario Puzo.
Its quite good. Although the author takes some deserved criticism, he does mob stories in a really interesting way. I'd also recommend another one by him called Omerta.

unrelated movie recommendations:

I just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. Holy FU*K that was an excellent movie. Maybe the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Watched Sing 2 like every day since it was released on Netflix. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed. And I have to admit, so am I. Its better than first

Little dated now. The Last Duel. Very fun period piece (14th century?) from France. Some really good performances, especially from Jodi Comer, who has now supplanted Saoirse Ronan as my celebrity crush.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If you enjoyed the Godfather, and are a reader. I highly recommend the book by Mario Puzo.
Its quite good. Although the author takes some deserved criticism, he does mob stories in a really interesting way. I'd also recommend another one by him called Omerta.

unrelated movie recommendations:

I just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. Holy FU*K that was an excellent movie. Maybe the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Watched Sing 2 like every day since it was released on Netflix. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed. And I have to admit, so am I. Its better than first

Little dated now. The Last Duel. Very fun period piece (14th century?) from France. Some really good performances, especially from Jodi Comer, who has now supplanted Saoirse Ronan as my celebrity crush.
Did you watch The Offer? Interesting stories from behind the scenes of The Godfather and all that went into it being made.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Watch the first two, skip the third.
Reading this I imagined you delivering the line like this.

AllMediumInchworm-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Saugus

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Amazes me at the huge percentage of Star Wars fans who can’t enjoy anything lmao. I mean if they don’t like Kenobi then my god they will not like anything. The Kenobi and Vader scenes were peak Star Wars. That last duel and then the conversation afterwards, just WOW. Perfectly done.

Was the show clunky? Yes. But my god, those were some of the best scenes in the entire saga. Well done Deborah Chow, Ewan and Hayden.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Amazes me at the huge percentage of Star Wars fans who can’t enjoy anything lmao. I mean if they don’t like Kenobi then my god they will not like anything. The Kenobi and Vader scenes were peak Star Wars. That last duel and then the conversation afterwards, just WOW. Perfectly done.

Was the show clunky? Yes. But my god, those were some of the best scenes in the entire saga. Well done Deborah Chow, Ewan and Hayden.
I have my nitpicks with all the DIsney+ Star Wars shows, but they're far more entertaining and fun than like half the sequel trilogy (I liked TFA, about half of TLJ, and almost none of TROS).

I think the final Vader vs Obi-Wan fight in the show has moved up my rankings of favorite lightsaber duels as I've watched it a few more times. Qui-Gonn/Obi-Wan/Darth Maul is still my favorite, but I think this might be #2 now for me.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
An Italian red, I hope. Pretty much every time I've watched the Godfather in the last few years, I've had a bottle of Chianti Classico to accompany it.

yes, italian...fantini ...perfectly fine for its function. and 13.5 %

and i still have some leftover homemade minestrone for the late late meal during 'intermission'

its 3 hours long....gotta pace oneself

"...but you don't run. ..don't look nobody directly in the eye, but don't look away either... eehhh, they're gonna be scared stiff of ya, believe me. so don't worry 'bout nothing"

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
glorious ass kicking in the street with the hydrant on and use of garbage can lid

"you...you hurt my sister again. i kill ya"

and with two tone shoes ass kicking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad